MATCH: vs Altrincham (A) 25/10/22

27 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

No he didn't. If you're going to twist his words like that you may as well include the full quote and claim that confirmed they went there for a 0-0 and to play badly.

Unsworth has questions to answer of course, the main one for me being that seeing as he can't change the full squad immediately, what can he do to change the tactics that might better suit the squad as it is in the short term?  But he doesn't need his words misrepresenting.

Oh yes he does that was how they set them up and his biggest disappointment was not how we played but how we conceded, he would of been chuffed to bits with a point at Altrincham.

"We should be coming here its ugly but we get a point and it's a small improvement and we move on" 

"We should be leaving here with a 0-0 and a clean sheet but it's a sucker punch"

Now let's face it he's talking shit week in week out, listen back to his first ever interview or two where he claims;

he'll go out week in week out to win games..

he has a decent squad and he's there to help them, how he'd never dig players out (goes after Harry Vaughan last night, easy target and bang out of order considering the shite he plays week in week out) he looked like the only player who was interested in moving us forward yet he's probably disappointed he didn't go with another holding midfielder, criticising Okagbue who other than Carragher has been our best player the last month, totally uncalled for and weak as piss to pick on the two youngest kids, if you want respect dig out the seasoned pros who are letting you down, fans aren't stupid and see it for what it is Okagbue, Carragher, Vaughan, Couto, Roberts, Carty, Wellens have and will all make mistakes but the fans won't give them shit personally because we understand the game and the journey they are on Clarke, Maynard, Gardner, Angol, Tollitt, Burgess, Rooney, Cooper are the players you should be going after, seasoned pros who have been fucking awful for weeks.

how his aim is to instill confidence in the players (really???),they need support and guidance and not a carrot and a stick (there's a theme here)...

Hard work is a given, organisation and a winning formula quickly, reiterates  his teams will be very hard working giving everything in every game (let them sit through the shit we paid to watch please), not to draw, not to avoid defeat but to go out and win.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Am I right in thinking that we set up like this?

Norman

Clarke

Okagbue

Maynard

Francis-Angol

Couto

Threlkeld

Sheron

Rooney

Tollitt

Fondop

If so that's 7 players who are naturally defensive-minded with 3 who are attacking-minded.  Of those attacking players it sounded as though Rooney was playing deeper and Tollitt isn't what I'd call and out-and-out striker (more of an attacking midfielder or winger).  Then you've got wing-backs who are much more naturally full-backs (Clarke especially).

I know that size of club isn't everything, but to set up like that away to bottom half National League team that hasn't won many for a club of our stature and expectation is unacceptable and as a result Unsworth should primarily take the blame for last night.

I would go as far as saying simply switching Couto for Carty and going 4-3-3 on Saturday and we would see a decent performance and result, which would be vastly better than last night without major changes to players.

With the present squad 433 would be my preferred option, with Tollit, Fondop and Carty up front,but with inter changing movement, not static.

Rooney centrally  just behind them as is his natural game.

The full backs are a problem as they aren't naturals going forward and that needs to be addressed.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Oh yes he does that was how they set them up and his biggest disappointment was not how we played but how we conceded, he would of been chuffed to bits with a point at Altrincham.

"We should be coming here its ugly but we get a point and it's a small improvement and we move on" 

"We should be leaving here with a 0-0 and a clean sheet but it's a sucker punch"

Now let's face it he's talking shit week in week out, listen back to his first ever interview or two where he claims;

he'll go out week in week out to win games..

he has a decent squad and he's there to help them, how he'd never dig players out (goes after Harry Vaughan last night, easy target and bang out of order considering the shite he plays week in week out) he looked like the only player who was interested in moving us forward yet he's probably disappointed he didn't go with another holding midfielder, criticising Okagbue who other than Carragher has been our best player the last month, totally uncalled for and weak as piss to pick on the two youngest kids, if you want respect dig out the seasoned pros who are letting you down, fans aren't stupid and see it for what it is Okagbue, Carragher, Vaughan, Couto, Roberts, Carty, Wellens have and will all make mistakes but the fans won't give them shit personally because we understand the game and the journey they are on Clarke, Maynard, Gardner, Angol, Tollitt, Burgess, Rooney, Cooper are the players you should be going after, seasoned pros who have been fucking awful for weeks.

how his aim is to instill confidence in the players (really???),they need support and guidance and not a carrot and a stick (there's a theme here)...

Hard work is a given, organisation and a winning formula quickly, reiterates  his teams will be very hard working giving everything in every game (let them sit through the shit we paid to watch please), not to draw, not to avoid defeat but to go out and win.

Agree with every single word. 

Everything he said he was- turns out he’s the total opposite. 

6 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Forever lolling at anyone who thinks Sheron should be playing in midfield.

And change the bastard keeper FFS...

Norman is very slow moving his feet. Don't we have a goalkeeping coach who should have noticed that and working towards improvement?

Edited by BP1960

16 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Norman is very slow moving his feet. Don't we have a goalkeeping coach who should have noticed that and working towards improvement?

I usually value your input BP but you are now constantly criticising everything and everyone. Seeing’s you’re such an expert on every aspect of the sport, have you ever thought of going into football management?

22 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Obviously quite a big problem given we consistently don't keep clean sheets with him in the team...

Trust me changing the keeper would just mean another one let's the goals in. Not saying Norman should be immune from any discussion but we literally didn't have a shot on target last night, even if we changed him and never let another goal in again we need to sort out our inability to create any worthwhile chances against a team who let in an average of 2 goals a game. Did their keeper even have a save to make?.

16 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

I usually value your input BP but you are now constantly criticising everything and everyone. Seeing’s you’re such an expert on every aspect of the sport, have you ever thought of going into football management?

I make observations to improve on, what's wrong with that?

BTW I have been involved with football management at all levels so speak from experience.

I'm certain even at my age I could recruit players better than these. You saw one recommended last night play for Altrincham.

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

No, I'm just commenting on things I've not seen for the fun of it.

Strange, because this keeper you constantly seem to target is the very least of our problems and he’s gained us a lot more points than he’s lost!!

8 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Great, his kicking is appalling and we don’t keep clean sheets or win many games with him in the team though.

Keepers not the problem. 

He's been steady for this level. Good keepers don't stay in the NL for long.

Some people need to lower their expectations 

I normally try not to get too down but my god that last night has broken me!!!!

I think Londonboy mentioned it but Unsworth's behaviour during the match was odd and that is the most worrying. The players can be removed (eventually) but we are supposed to be sticking with Unsworth and he is already looking a defeated man.

..mind you, I don’t think I’ve ever heard a manager admit that his entire squad is basically not good enough and needs replacing…not sure how he prepares them for games now. We are going to be a shambles of a team until FR and the Board decide that what happens on the pitch is the real priority rather than cosmetic improvements to the ground