MATCH: vs Altrincham (A) 25/10/22

10 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Look we have a dire squad who are just not good enough to compete in the top half of National League...it's that simple. 

As soon as everyone accepts this....however painful the less stressful their days will be.

I've stopped off for a break on my way back down to London after watching that dross, so trust me I have more reason than most to be fucked off about tonight....

We need a massive player overhaul before things will improve and that's going to take time and some money. Unsworth who I'm not a huge fan of isn't Harry fucking Potter. He can't magic our lot in good footballers overnight....nobody can. 

Just look at some stats.

We've not won away from home in 7 games in this crap division.

We have not played any of the top 5 away yet (fucking happy days) and Woking and Bromley currently in 6th and 7th place both dicked us 3-0.

We've scored the princely total of 2 away goals in 7 games

Be in no doubt we are in a relegation scrap and it's going to get uglier before it gets better at some point....😬

Shall we all stop going then till we put a team out on the pitch that the fans deserve? If it's as shit as is being claimed it's over to you Mr Rothwell, if you had six figures plus wages for Nuttall I suggest you bring in the players to keep us up because I for one won't be travelling again after Halifax if the same shite is served up again.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Spot on with the no passion, control or wanting to win.

90% of our passes go sideways or backwards and I can count on one hand the number if times one of our midfield players turned forward tonight and actually ran at the opo.

We seem to be half a yard slower than whoever we play, and put very little pressure on the ball ever.

I don't care what system he plays, most of our current squad are just not good footballers.

I don't buy this our squad should be good enough to compete in this league.

It's blatantly obvious by now we are not. 

Ask yourself how many of our current squad would get into Wrexham's or Notts Countys side and it all becomes clearer. We are nowhere fucking close and are in a relegation battle.

Until we can ship the majority out and start again it won't get better so just back the team and hope we have enough to stay out of the bottom 4.

Would any get into Wrexham or Notts team?

Answer......none and probably   neither any of  the top six currently. 

Edited by Flemboy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

Shall we all stop going then till we put a team out on the pitch that the fans deserve? If it's as shit as is being claimed it's over to you Mr Rothwell, if you had six figures plus wages for Nuttall I suggest you bring in the players to keep us up because I for one won't be travelling again after Halifax if the same shite is served up again.

I certainly won't be, I was only there tonight and ditto Saturday because it's local days out and new grounds. I can't justify giving up my Saturday afternoons for a bunch of clowns who can barely be arsed to give up their own. 

Big changes are needed or we're sliding into another relegation fight

• Like 1

Just watched the interview maybe a blessing in disguise losing tonight, the hierarchy are left with no doubt of the challenge of getting a team capable of challenging in this division, they have inherited this i think some fans had false expectations this year.

How many of the current squad would you keep will give you a grasp of the challenge at hand?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mickjagger said:

Just watched the interview maybe a blessing in disguise losing tonight, the hierarchy are left with no doubt of the challenge of getting a team capable of challenging in this division, they have inherited this i think some fans had false expectations this year.

How many of the current squad would you keep will give you a grasp of the challenge at hand?

I was never expecting  promotion but I was expecting a team with passion and bottle

• Like 1

But, but, what about the bigger picture. . . 

Tactics, formations, and manger analysis are irrelevant because we’ll start winning in 5 years. Unsy gets a free pass for four years, while we all still keep blaming the past, for his mistakes in the now.  In the mean time we’ll all hope we sign a 40 goal season striker in January. 

Chill out. . . 

7 hours ago, Lags said:

Can we please put Roy out to pasture..I become a mad man replying to all his crap. Why does OAFC have to be shit decade upon decade?. We are just so poor.

'yeah but he does it for free' etc 

like that makes it OK 🙄

use the away commentary option, that is what l feel compelled to do, just to avoid this man.

8 hours ago, Fervid said:

Just heard the interview and he’s thrown them under the bus and rightly so. But needs to take a good hard look at himself with his tactic’s.

Agreed.

This squad as a whole is proving itself to be poor with not a lot of it that could be salvaged, but the formation that Unsworth has used so far just invites other teams onto us.  Setting up in a negative fashion is not going to improve the confidence of a "soft" squad.

4-2-3-1 could keep us pretty solid but at least give us a reasonable attacking outlet.  We have enough experienced players available now that we don't need to clog up the defence and midfield with numbers.  Tollitt and Fondop have chipped in so far, but there isn't anyone else who is even close to helping because they are set up so deep.

A win is important on Saturday, but so is playing with the right intent.  Unsworth may be right about the players but I'm sorry, he needs to prove his ability with the tools that he has to work with as well.

• Like 4

I just watched the interview and he looks as dejected as all of us feel and, like the rest of us, he knew this was coming. To me, and it's all subjective, Unsworth wants rid of the squad..maybe all of them, I don't know but I get the impression he has had it with these players and using the word "inherited" tells me he has no connection with them. I feel we have an enviable set-up in place for this division and it is not working because the players are either too inept, don't give a shit or both.

I don't think the booing of the fans will affect all of them, maybe some of them but not the thick-skinned ones who are just taking the wages. They will not give a flying fuck and they need to be gone. Like he said, they are soft, looking for a comfort zone and should go. How the fuck does a manager work with a squad of players with that attitude?

I don't like the defensive tactics, I now also believe lining them up different won't make an ounce of improvement. He should try it but I think it will still bring about the same result because the players are not good enough. It's a fucking mess, we know it, Unsworth knows it and no doubt everyone concerned knows it. It's alright calling for Rothwell to splash-the-cash but any targets have to want to come to Oldham Athletic, they can't be forced to come. 

Once again, it's become about avoiding relegation. These players didn't perform for Sheridan, they're not performing for Unsworth, we could have Guardiola in charge and fuck all would change. Only a handful have any credit to their name, the rest can get the fuck out for me.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

You never know, they might up their game infront of the TV cameras or will it be a tribute to Halloween?

After last night we can only hope for the best.

They’ll look better Saturday . But it’ll be the spare turd polish, which is running out 

What a mess we’re in. That last night was pathetic and completely inexcusable. On the one hand I am glad that Unsworth is seeing what we all saw. On the other, it looks as though he hates the players as much as we do and knows they’re completely gutless and incapable which seems to be draining the enthusiasm out of him. 

Realistically, half of this lot need binning off and replaced with some quality. That can’t happen overnight and will be tough even when January comes around. It needs time but I’m not sure we have time - relegation is a real possibility.

Unsworth has to take some responsibility too - performances have gotten worse, not better. He’s got a system he likes but doesn’t have the players to play it. 5-3-2 with full backs rather than wing backs and defensive midfielders is horrid. We aren’t just rubbish, we’re boring to watch and people will stop going to watch if it doesn’t improve quickly. 

Not sure where we go from here or how we lift ourselves up for Saturday. It’s grim.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Just watched Unsworths post match interview and he confirms we went there for a 0-0 draw, fucking clueless.

No he didn't. If you're going to twist his words like that you may as well include the full quote and claim that confirmed they went there for a 0-0 and to play badly.

Unsworth has questions to answer of course, the main one for me being that seeing as he can't change the full squad immediately, what can he do to change the tactics that might better suit the squad as it is in the short term?  But he doesn't need his words misrepresenting.

• Like 8

At least three of their lads, Colclough, Conn-Clarke and Jones, improve our team. It shouldn't be difficult to go and pluck the best of the talent from the local non league clubs.

Royle really needs to stop basking in the glow of being a CEO and start getting to grip with the real issues.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

At least three of their lads, Colclough, Conn-Clarke and Jones, improve our team. It shouldn't be difficult to go and pluck the best of the talent from the local non league clubs.

Royle really needs to stop basking in the glow of being a CEO and start getting to grip with the real issues.

Been saying this for weeks. You wouldn’t be talking mega bucks for these players.

The fact we’re on tele every month helps the coffers too.

Am I right in thinking that we set up like this?

Norman

Clarke

Okagbue

Maynard

Francis-Angol

Couto

Threlkeld

Sheron

Rooney

Tollitt

Fondop

If so that's 7 players who are naturally defensive-minded with 3 who are attacking-minded.  Of those attacking players it sounded as though Rooney was playing deeper and Tollitt isn't what I'd call and out-and-out striker (more of an attacking midfielder or winger).  Then you've got wing-backs who are much more naturally full-backs (Clarke especially).

I know that size of club isn't everything, but to set up like that away to bottom half National League team that hasn't won many for a club of our stature and expectation is unacceptable and as a result Unsworth should primarily take the blame for last night.

I would go as far as saying simply switching Couto for Carty and going 4-3-3 on Saturday and we would see a decent performance and result, which would be vastly better than last night without major changes to players.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Am I right in thinking that we set up like this?

Norman

Clarke

Okagbue

Maynard

Francis-Angol

Couto

Threlkeld

Sheron

Rooney

Tollitt

Fondop

If so that's 7 players who are naturally defensive-minded with 3 who are attacking-minded.  Of those attacking players it sounded as though Rooney was playing deeper and Tollitt isn't what I'd call and out-and-out striker (more of an attacking midfielder or winger).  Then you've got wing-backs who are much more naturally full-backs (Clarke especially).

I know that size of club isn't everything, but to set up like that away to bottom half National League team that hasn't won many for a club of our stature and expectation is unacceptable and as a result Unsworth should primarily take the blame for last night.

I would go as far as saying simply switching Couto for Carty and going 4-3-3 on Saturday and we would see a decent performance and result, which would be vastly better than last night without major changes to players.

Exactly, it’s not hard to just setup a bit more positively. 

Didn't go last night but..........

whilst accepting that this bunch of players aren't up to much and the manager has realised this he must also be aware that his tactics simply aren't working.

We haven't a wing back at the club yet persist in playing a system where they are paramount. 

The only "shining light" this season has been  Fondop's form yet we set up to give him no support at all. The lad Carty showed enough on Saturday to warrant a start.

We have no natural wingers so setting up 4 4 2 or 4 3 3 with Tollitt as the third attacker would suit better.

I posted on Saturday that I thought Couto wasn't up to it (many disagreed) but still can't see why he should start before Vaughan.

None of our players take the ball on the half turn so our attacking options are limited.

Unsworth may eventually prove to be a good manager but he must utilise the rather limited squad better. He may prefer three at the back but we just don't have the players required to play that way and until he either changes the formation or bring some in that are capable of doing so this season will go downhill. 

• Like 5

Fondop was extremely poor last night in my opinion, looking for fouls when he should have stayed on his feet, backing into players then waiting for the whistle to blow, first touch very poor. I feel for him on his own up there but he doesn’t help himself sometimes

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Didn't go last night but..........

whilst accepting that this bunch of players aren't up to much and the manager has realised this he must also be aware that his tactics simply aren't working.

We haven't a wing back at the club yet persist in playing a system where they are paramount. 

The only "shining light" this season has been  Fondop's form yet we set up to give him no support at all. The lad Carty showed enough on Saturday to warrant a start.

We have no natural wingers so setting up 4 4 2 or 4 3 3 with Tollitt as the third attacker would suit better.

I posted on Saturday that I thought Couto wasn't up to it (many disagreed) but still can't see why he should start before Vaughan.

None of our players take the ball on the half turn so our attacking options are limited.

Unsworth may eventually prove to be a good manager but he must utilise the rather limited squad better. He may prefer three at the back but we just don't have the players required to play that way and until he either changes the formation or bring some in that are capable of doing so this season will go downhill. 

Agreed. It is an appalling group of players but he chose to take the job and knew the players he'd have at his disposal coming in. It's all well and good saying the players aren't good enough but when you're consistently playing systems and tactics that don't suit the squad you have you have to take your share of the blame

That was diabolical all round last night, from players and manager

Edited by Guy Branston Pickle
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

whilst accepting that this bunch of players aren't up to much and the manager has realised this he must also be aware that his tactics simply aren't working.…

If he cannot see that his chosen tactical formation is simply not working, then maybe he is not going to make it as a manager full stop.

• Like 1