MATCH: vs Altrincham (A) 25/10/22

2 minutes ago, 100milesaway said:

Looks like we have a long way to go before we have a proper team to watch. Saturday was dreadful, and it sounded like tonight was little different.  We have no quality in the squad at all.

It is going to be a very long season .

Bookies fancied us for play offs on the eve of the season and they're rarely ill informed

Granted it was probably in part because we're a big fish but we've added to the squad since then

Unsworth would never have been my choice and I said when he was appointed that it was a big step up for him from coaching kids to managing in a proper league. I felt that JR must know enough about him to feel that he was up to it, but it's clearly not working. I fully accept that the squad is badly lacking and we've also been unlucky with injuries (why do we get so many injuries??), but from day one he's gone back on his promise of going out to win matches by constantly serving up this ultra defensive crap. Something better change quickly, either a complete change of tactics or some proper investment in the team (preferably both), but at the moment i can't see either happening and I fear my misgivings about him are coming true.

1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

Notts County scored 6 away with 10 men for almost half an hour. Thats the sort of team and manager fans want.

There have been times when Notts Co,, Chesterfield and Wrexham all struggled in this league. The Blackpool fan did warn us this could happen and now it is. There is no way the club is going to ditch this expensive set-up, it is set to succeed but it won't succeed with the players Unsworth has inherited...not all, but most of them.

Like the rest of you, I despise the defensive set-up and tactics. It's shit, the fans will vote with their feet but I doubt it will prompt any change within the structure of the playing side of things. There is obviously a plan in place which doesn't include a vast majority of the current squad.

As has been said, Unsworth cannot speak his mind. He must be as pissed off with this shower of shite as we are and he can't do a thing about it just yet. Something appears to be amiss with his behaviour tonight. Will we find out? Probably not. 

• Like 2

Said it before, it’s worrying when he says he is actively trying to sign players, we need 3-4 and all we got was a month loan. Embarrassing. If he can’t get the players, switch up with what we got. The lack of attempt to even change anything is a joke. 

Should have made three subs at half time and made a stance on the squad. 

Just now, oafc1955 said:

It’s a marathon not a sprint…,wind it in ffs!!!

Wind it in ? All I’m asking for is a change of system to even try. When Carty came on and Angol moved to the left I thought we had gone 442. Nope he dropped Sheron into the back 5 and Rooney as the holding midfield player ? Unswroth does not avoid blame. This system does not work with what we have, change it!!! 

• Like 2

Just now, oafc1955 said:

It’s a marathon not a sprint…,wind it in ffs!!!

Sorry, but thats utter bull shit. I’m not writing DU off by any means, but he’s fully open to criticism, as are the players. He has indeed inherited the worst squad i’ve ever seen, but when he says stupid things like he’ll be setting up to win every game, and then puts teams out with that set up, he deserves the stick he’s getting. 
i’m sure he’s probably sat there right now thinking what the hell has he signed up for, and i’m sure he knows where we need to improve (thats not rocket science), but he absolutely deserves any criticism he’s getting right now.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mr Banks, Zone 3 said:

Does anybody know if anyone from the club reads these comments? I'd love to know if the message is getting through. 

This forum is known about, so it wouldn't surprise me but our opinions aren't going to change anything.

• Like 1

Yet another lacklustre woeful away performance. No passion,no control,no wanting to win the ball,clueless when they got in the last third.

Altrincham were crap but at least they wanted to win.

Good goal but their player had tons of room to line up his shot.

Opponents  always seem to have a fast winger,two giants at the back and know how to pass the ball.

I felt sorry for any fans who went away for the first time but this is so repetatative and teams have sussed us out as being nothing to fear.

Edited by Flemboy
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Unsworth looks puzzled in his interview. So he should be. 

And he's not surprised at the performance like the rest of us 🙄

Openly critical of Vaughn so suspect we won't see much of him in the future. We really are in the mire with these players and unfortunately survival in this division is the aim now.

Edited by IanMarshall's Mullet

3 minutes ago, Flemboy said:

Yet another lacklustre woeful away performance. No passion,no control,no wanting to win the ball,clueless when they got in the last third.

Altrincham were crap but at least they wanted to win.

Good goal but their player had tons of room to line up his shot.

Opponents  always seem to have a fast winger,two giants at the back and know how to pass the ball.

I felt sorry for any fans who went away for the first time but this is so repetatative and years have sussed us out as being nothing to fear.

Spot on with the no passion, control or wanting to win.

90% of our passes go sideways or backwards and I can count on one hand the number if times one of our midfield players turned forward tonight and actually ran at the opo.

We seem to be half a yard slower than whoever we play, and put very little pressure on the ball ever.

I don't care what system he plays, most of our current squad are just not good footballers.

I don't buy this our squad should be good enough to compete in this league.

It's blatantly obvious by now we are not. 

Ask yourself how many of our current squad would get into Wrexham's or Notts Countys side and it all becomes clearer. We are nowhere fucking close and are in a relegation battle.

Until we can ship the majority out and start again it won't get better so just back the team and hope we have enough to stay out of the bottom 4.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Mr Banks, Zone 3 said:

Does anybody know if anyone from the club reads these comments? I'd love to know if the message is getting through. 

Even if he did he's that fucking stubborn it wouldn't even register, he's his own man anyway and he'll live and die by his results like every other manager out there does.

If he's that fucking stupid to keep moaning about the same fucking thing rather than having the balls to change it up then he deserves everything that will more than likely come his way. I thought this Kilner lad had impressed? Is he any worse than Clarke or Wellens for that matter?.

John Rooney as well, fucking awful again tonight, if he's the player he wants in we are fucked anyway.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

John Rooney as well, fucking awful again tonight, if he's the player he wants in we are fucked anyway.

If Rooney put as much passion into playing football as he does having a go at his teammates for his fuck ups then we would have a half decent player. But he doesn’t so he remains a shit player

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Well that's pretty evident since we're at our lowest level for over a century 

Arent we supposed to be improving now though … new ownership, new innovative management team, feel good factor . Is it eight games in now and the only thing that’s changed is that we are arguably worse now. That formation, tactics, effort was utter dogshit . There’s another relegation battle just around the corner . 

• Like 1

Look we have a dire squad who are just not good enough to compete in the top half of National League...it's that simple. 

As soon as everyone accepts this....however painful the less stressful their days will be.

I've stopped off for a break on my way back down to London after watching that dross, so trust me I have more reason than most to be fucked off about tonight....

We need a massive player overhaul before things will improve and that's going to take time and some money. Unsworth who I'm not a huge fan of isn't Harry fucking Potter. He can't magic our lot in good footballers overnight....nobody can. 

Just look at some stats.

We've not won away from home in 7 games in this crap division.

We have not played any of the top 5 away yet (fucking happy days) and Woking and Bromley currently in 6th and 7th place both dicked us 3-0.

We've scored the princely total of 2 away goals in 7 games

Be in no doubt we are in a relegation scrap and it's going to get uglier before it gets better at some point....😬

• Like 2

I'm sick of saying it now but that was as bad as I've ever seen an Oldham team play in 26 years going to games. The squad is absolutely shite and I'll accept that, but what I won't accept is a bunch of absolute cowards who can't be arsed to even do the basics like run about a bit. We're in a cost of living crisis at the moment and yet 1600 people have chosen to give up their hard earned cash to watch that lot, and not a single one of them broke a sweat. Every player looked scared to have the ball, and the tactics?? Fuck me, why sack Sheridan for Sheridan lite?

Anything but a win on Saturday and it will he toxic, and if it's anything like tonight its no less than they deserve. Fuck patience 

• Like 3