MATCH: vs Altrincham (A) 25/10/22

After calming down after last night I’m still of the opinion unsworth’s tactics are a major part of the problem.

ok I get we have a very poor side. But so do other teams and a number have worse than us. The team is not bottom 4 of this league. We make individual errors all the time at the back like last night. But so do other teams and judging alty’s prior game they make loads as Torquay banged 4 past them. 

if we don’t realise we make mistakes and don’t have the quality to defend and need to put pressure on other shocking sides I just can’t see him winning any games. He has to work with what he has and at mo I’m not sure he’s getting anywhere near the best from them. The front 2 had literally no service all game. If we don’t play to our goal threat strengths we will never force mistakes off other teams. 

• Like 1

I don't think we were all that impressive against Yeovil. They were poor, but we really weren't all that good. Last night proves that we are heading for a relegation fight, if this continues. Unless we sign a few players and let a fair few go, I can't see that changing. These lads haven't got the chemistry, ability, or leadership to perform consistently well in this league. We're in deep shit. 

I once spent a week on a "philosophy" type event (I know!) and the one thing that sticks with me was the examination around "ego" being the single biggest obstacle to progress (ego in its fullest sense). You see it in a lot of former players who think they are "billy big bollocks" having played in the unrealistic goldfish bowl that is (particularly) the Premier League. Unsworth's ego (currently manifesting itself as stubborness and playing the blame game) will be his undoing. He will not like what he is experiencing one iota at the moment, because his ego isn't being fed (ego is a very greedy feeder). He will walk soon in my opinion.

When he does, get Peter Clarke in - if you are going to allow someone to "cut their teeth" at this level, I think PC would be ideal. I've said before we have gone for all our eggs in the ex Everton basket - and that let's hope the basket doesn't turn out to be a case. Watching brief.

18 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

I once spent a week on a "philosophy" type event (I know!) and the one thing that sticks with me was the examination around "ego" being the single biggest obstacle to progress (ego in its fullest sense). You see it in a lot of former players who think they are "billy big bollocks" having played in the unrealistic goldfish bowl that is (particularly) the Premier League. Unsworth's ego (currently manifesting itself as stubborness and playing the blame game) will be his undoing. He will not like what he is experiencing one iota at the moment, because his ego isn't being fed (ego is a very greedy feeder). He will walk soon in my opinion.

When he does, get Peter Clarke in - if you are going to allow someone to "cut their teeth" at this level, I think PC would be ideal. I've said before we have gone for all our eggs in the ex Everton basket - and that let's hope the basket doesn't turn out to be a case. Watching brief.

Makes you fully appreciate what we had in Pete Wild,

Both the past and future would have been so much brighter, oh to be treated fair and proper, costs nothing at all.

• Like 1

They say that things change quickly in football. They certainly have for us, and the they have changed for the worse.

It's difficult to see when we may turn the corner. On FCFs arrival, the whole place was lifted, and whilst I never expected for us to be challenging for promotion, I never expected the further decline that we are experiencing. 

The million dollar question is, what can be done to arrest the slide?.

It's as yet unclear, as to how much money FCF wants to throw at this, what is clear, is that if Frank wants the club to prosper, and return to our former glory the present squad is totally, and almost completely inadequate. 

For us to move forward, a playing staff of way better players is needed urgently,  and as I'm sure we are all aware, this will cost, and it will cost LOTS.

In recent years we have been left behind by clubs such as, Burton, Fleetwood, Accrington, Forest green, Morecambe, Salford, Barrow, Harrogate, Sutton, Crawley. And there are many other clubs in way better shape than us.

Yet none of the above have the history, or more importantly, the fan base, that we have. And because of criminal neglect, and the utter greed of different owners, we have been in freefall for many years. 

We must not let the recent takeover, and renewed enthusiasm of our fans go to waste.  

The owner, the board of directors and the managed need to get their heads together, come up with a plan, then let the fans know what that plan is.

If nothing is said nor done very soon, we are going to be in a great deal of trouble. Already fans are dissatisfied,  and can't understand why we still appear to be going backwards,  instead of storming forward on a wave of more fans through the gate, more optimism,  better results and hope for the future.

We need to turn the corner, and we need to do it with great haste. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ritchierich said:

Feck me, he basically blamed Vaughan for the defeat! That lad needs to find a proper football club

I get that but I bet he’s constantly on with Harry in training to close down the opposition. Then on match day the goal comes from him not closing down.

Once he goes over the white line he has to put his training into practice. I don’t blame David for being totally pissed off. Harry has had a handful of managers but no one seems to fancy him. Maybe he doesn’t listen in training.

it’s sad though that he was mentioned but I’d like to see a massive response from him now.👍

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lukers1 said:

I get that but I bet he’s constantly on with Harry in training to close down the opposition. Then on match day the goal comes from him not closing down.

Once he goes over the white line he has to put his training into practice. I don’t blame David for being totally pissed off. Harry has had a handful of managers but no one seems to fancy him. Maybe he doesn’t listen in training.

it’s sad though that he was mentioned but I’d like to see a massive response from him now.👍

Tollit has lost possession in dangerous areas on numerous occasions and fail to track back, but not heard the manager criticise him for it.

Edited by BP1960

2 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Tollit has lost possession in dangerous areas on numerous occasions, but not heard the manager criticise him for it.

I’d like to see if any of his lost possession has cost us a goal in such a crucial match. He’s scoring goals and at least contributing.

5 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Tollit has lost possession in dangerous areas on numerous occasions and fail to track back, but not heard the manager criticise him for it.

And Dan Gardner almost religiously, granted Gardner is probably one of only a couple who can create anything in the squad or score a goal, Clarke's another who gives the ball away and chances/goals at will yet gets selected week in week out and Couto (golden boy) can't defend for toffees, can't beat a man, can hardly cross a ball, is shite in the air, can't last 90 minutes - yet generally gets a special mention in most of Unsworths interviews for a strange reason.

36 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

BP he lost possession which is fine, but then jogged back not showing enough desire to win the ball back in phase 1, then failed to make a challenge or close down their 16 who banged it in the top corner in phase 2/3.

He's good and progressive going forward which I like, but in this League you need to put a shift in defending from midfield which he doesn't do particularly effectively....not his strength unfortunately.

27 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Clarke and the Stoke lad exchanged heated words. So did Angol and Maynard. Something seems extremely off to me. 

Noticed that, Maynard strolling round with carpets under his arms dishing shit out, not sure there is much spirit within the team and I'd be binning the lot.

Edited by yarddog73

23 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Christ I'd completely forgotten Rooney trying to lob the keeper (who was about 5 yards off his line) from 60 yards out at a time we were struggling to put two passes together 🤦‍♂️

I think he’s tried that at every single game? Useless excuse of a footballer that lad. 

1 hour ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Christ I'd completely forgotten Rooney trying to lob the keeper (who was about 5 yards off his line) from 60 yards out at a time we were struggling to put two passes together 🤦‍♂️

Aimless passes and shots are the only consistent things he does

It's going to be a long 2-3 months this until January when it will probably be the opportunity we badly need to rejig the squad. I didn't go last night and I'm not going to insult anyone's intelligence by telling them to stop moaning. However I don't think that will be the last poor performance we see with this squad this side of new year.

If we are going to persist with 3-5-2 then the first signings he needs to make are 2 wingers who can create chances by firing balls into the box and who play 10-20 yards further forwards than the current wing backs Fondop Tollit and the returning Hope would all benefit (I'd sign a striker too but they will be no use if we play 7 at the back) That's a starting point we need 4-5 out the door too. Looking at the wide areas I think it's clear that our options are limited. Unsworth doesn't trust Stobbs so Clarke plays right wing back who is a full back and a defensive one at that. On the left we don't have a left Winger just 3 full backs in Roberts Angol and Couto neither are yet to nail down that spot.

That's one solution if he insists on playing 3-5-2 the others are obviously changing formation which at the moment he seems reluctant to deviate from 3-5-2. I think Unsworth knows the problem. He said after Saturday we are a long way from playing the way he wants too yet. But we need to make more progress than we are doing now. Even if he doesn't sign someone the least he should be doing is encouraging his team to press higher up the pitch and start winning the ball back in the oppositions half. Him and John Ebbrell played in the last Everton team to win a trophy under Joe they were dubbed the dogs of war for a reason so you'd think they could be able to teach them something about pressing.

Edited by GlossopLatic