National League Thread

15 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

We have one on the books already. 

Sheron is well capable of fulfilling that role if he is allowed to and get someone else to do the more defensive role. He has 4 goals (most of them good goals) from midfield something many of you choose to forget.

When Hammond? missed late on last night it was Sheron who was in the 6yd box waiting.

Yes, but he's rarely played in an advanced role, more of a spoiler in midfield.

Will MM change the deep MCs tactic? Most unlikely I'd say.

3 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Yes, but he's rarely played in an advanced role, more of a spoiler in midfield.

Will MM change the deep MCs tactic? Most unlikely I'd say.

He does seem to have quite a few forward forays nowadays, often leading the press, and his goals tally from midfield shames all bar Dickenson.

5 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

He does seem to have quite a few forward forays nowadays, often leading the press, and his goals tally from midfield shames all bar Dickenson.

Even if he chipped in with a dozen goals he's no use to nobody if he can't make a simple pass to a team mate, 

8 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Exactly. Some posters just cannot put prejudice to one side. Played in his right position he is as good as any midfielder in this division.

I like Sheron for his work rate, but to say he is as good as any midfielder in this division in the right position is total bollocks. 

2 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

A dozen goals from midfield you'd dismiss ? 🙄

Yes for someone who can control a game of football in midfield.

13 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Exactly. Some posters just cannot put prejudice to one side. Played in his right position he is as good as any midfielder in this division.

Behave 🤣

22 minutes ago, Nonleague said:

I thought Darren Royle was bringing in more investors and businesses to the club in the fashion of Altrincham, but this doesn't appear to have happened.

We can't manage long term with the Rothwell's alone surely, good as they are?

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

I thought Darren Royle was bringing in more investors and businesses to the club in the fashion of Altrincham, but this doesn't appear to have happened.

We can't manage long term with the Rothwell's alone surely, good as they are?

Bet they wish they had persuaded the council to buy them a £1M pitch like DR did for us.

Alty's pitch is dreadful, though I gather they are planning remedial work over the next couple of years.

On 2/14/2024 at 1:35 PM, Dave_Og said:

It all seems to have gone wrong for Southend since they got them selves sorted out.  They appeared to be in with a chance for a late run at the play-offs despite the points deduction ....

Sorted, nearly. Still waiting to get rid of the owner. Contracts exchanged and the consortium have effectively taken over the running of the club, new contracts sorted, new players in. The local paper this morning said completion of the sale is likely to be another 6-8 weeks.

Today, Oxford way. 1200 Shrimpers going. Will be noisy 😎

1 hour ago, Glossop Shrimper said:

Sorted, nearly. Still waiting to get rid of the owner. Contracts exchanged and the consortium have effectively taken over the running of the club, new contracts sorted, new players in. The local paper this morning said completion of the sale is likely to be another 6-8 weeks.

I thought Oxford only gave a small allocation? 

8 hours ago, Glossop Shrimper said:

Great that it's nearly sorted off the pitch, but how has it happened on the pitch that you've gone from getting results when barely having a player on the bench, to a bad run of form when you've been able to fill the bench every match?  Are the original players burned out (understandable if so)?

Hope you guys stay up, this season deserves a good ending for your fans.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

21 hours ago, Glossop Shrimper said:

I think you'll be fine. There's a LOT of teams in that huge cluster in the bottom half of the table and you'd back Maher to have enough about him to get you safe with a vastly superior GD and a couple of games in hand.

Hard to predict who'll go down apart from Oxford City. Woking just have that feel about them where it's all gone drastically wrong (despite them winning at ours). I think Wealdstone will plummet further and despite bringing Phil Brown in I think Kidderminster will probaly go myself. Far from certain anyway.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jsslatic said:

Throw Eastleigh into the mix too, who appear to have moved from play off contenders at Christmas to looking over their shoulder.

I considered them but you'd like to think when you have the league's top goalscorer on your books, you'll pick up enough points to keep you safe. It's a crazy amount of teams in that huge cluster but they won't all win with any regularity. 

18 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I considered them but you'd like to think when you have the league's top goalscorer on your books, you'll pick up enough points to keep you safe. It's a crazy amount of teams in that huge cluster but they won't all win with any regularity. 

Rochdale all the way up in 12th need to keep an eye on things. Lost 5 of their last 6, and a bit of unrest at the club too. I expect they’ll be fine as they’ve played a couple less than those below them but if they carry on in their current form they’ll be right down there if they lose another 5 in 6. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, daniel said:

Rochdale all the way up in 12th need to keep an eye on things. Lost 5 of their last 6, and a bit of unrest at the club too. I expect they’ll be fine as they’ve played a couple less than those below them but if they carry on in their current form they’ll be right down there if they lose another 5 in 6. 

Those teams like Eastleigh, Boreham Wood and Rochdale who are on bad runs would need to go 5-6 consecutive defeats to see them entrenched in the bottom four. For that reason, I'd suggest they'd be fairly safe as they're bound to pick up the odd win up off their arse. Mind you, only Rochdale have to play us at home.

13 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

. . . but how has it happened on the pitch that you've gone from getting results when barely having a player on the bench, to a bad run of form when you've been able to fill the bench every match?  Are the original players burned out (understandable if so)?

Hope you guys stay up, this season deserves a good ending for your fans.

Thanks.

Something is wrong. Yesterday 0-0 away at Oxford. Some say it was our worst performance of the season. 1200 Shrimpers surprisingly subdued. We had more than enough chances to win but Oxford had the best, including one that hit our cross bar, and had it gone in would have been a worldy. They lost 7-1 the week before. We have a decent team, legend for a manager, yet can't score. Murphy's law too. We released a defender last week, he signed for Oxford this, and played an absolute blinder.

Maidenhead away on Tuesday so your result yesterday will be a benchmark.

Then we have Aldershot and Altrincham at home. Improvement needed for oursakes, and ironically yours.

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

Rochdale

Looks like Rochdale are struggling.

Awful.

However, some of their fans have been so smug and pious the last few years with the situations at Bolton, Bury and Oldham. Revelling in it, and bragging about how their club was impeccably run club.

I pointed to this as a prospect a while ago on here when other where stating what a well run club they are. Been all downhill for a few years. Their problem is they just don’t have the support base, historical or otherwise, to attract serious money. 

Edited by kowenicki