National League Thread

3 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Bromley (3rd) and Barnet (2nd) move straight to a home semifinal so they can't benefit anymore than that. 

Normally;

4th plays 7th

5th play 6th

For me Alty (4th) should get the bye and play Bromley away for a place at Wembley and Solihull (5th) should host Halifax (7th) with the winner playing Barnet away.

Saying that this is NL so anything is possible.

BBC confirm Altrincham get the bye and Solihull play Halifax.

2 minutes ago, JED said:

BBC confirm Altrincham get the bye and Solihull play Halifax.

Although the BBC did have Norman down as playing centre forward last week...  Worth a go I'd have said!

I know on the face of it, this looks like a terrible misstep from Gateshead council. However, as we’ve seen how thin on cash councils are (remember, a couple had to declare themselves insolvent), they may have a lot of taxpayers questioning the wisdom in committing to offering a long term lease, which they need to fund, to a club which has a reasonable likelihood of going back into the NL before that ten year lease is up.

Of course, if it was us in their position. I’d be the first on the town hall steps, dousing myself in petrol and flicking out the Zipper lighter.

3 hours ago, blue van said:

I fancied Gateshead to go up, good footballing team, shows what can be achieved on a small budget with the right players and 

I wonder where this leaves them for next season though. Assuming the position with the ground stays the same, who's going to want to play for a team who literally aren't playing for anything. I feel really sorry for their fans.

52 minutes ago, Mr Banks, Zone 3 said:

I wonder where this leaves them for next season though. Assuming the position with the ground stays the same, who's going to want to play for a team who literally aren't playing for anything. I feel really sorry for their fans.

Good point, go sign Greg Olley now then Micky, I know he's only 28 but he's some player and a leader.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Banks, Zone 3 said:

I think the permissions Gateshead needed got sorted, just not by the deadline required. So they should be fine the next time they are in promotion contention.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Halifax are all over the place in their play-off match. I'm reassessing my opinion of Tyler Golden as a summer target for us. 😬

F.Off Halifax. See you next year when we come to yours for a swim.

Not NL, but NLN.

I'm watching the Chorley v Curzon Ashton match which is very scrappy.

However, Chorley have a 24yo midfielder Jack Hazelhurst who is skilful and mobile with bags of determination.

He has no pedigree, but the sort of dynamic player we have been missing.

Be interesting to see how he progresses.

47 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Not NL, but NLN.

I'm watching the Chorley v Curzon Ashton match which is very scrappy.

However, Chorley have a 24yo midfielder Jack Hazelhurst who is skilful and mobile with bags of determination.

He has no pedigree, but the sort of dynamic player we have been missing.

Be interesting to see how he progresses.

Chorley win on pens.

We put a lot of emphasis don’t we on ‘reaching the playoffs’, look at Halifax, they got there , four days and one match later they’re out. All about getting that top spot in this league really.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

So Sutton have gone down today solihull currently 2 up at Barnet game on in that one.

And they're rubbish.  You don't have to be anything special to get out of this league..

Unfortunately we're not even "nothing special"...

Still at least we get to go to Sutton next year.  There's always that.

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

And they're rubbish.  You don't have to be anything special to get out of this league..

Unfortunately we're not even "nothing special"...

Still at least we get to go to Sutton next year.  There's always that.

Well we did beat Solihull at Solihull when we went on that rather good run in the middle of the season. Despite having an awful start an awful finish and awful home form throughout we did come close to getting in the play offs. That actually gives me optimism we won't have to make that bigger jump to get up.

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Well it won't be Scunthorpe who lost to Boston.

Our best hope is Chorley and not another long trip Brackley.

Interesting you'd expect a resurgent Scunthorpe to pose a threat next season if they come up. 

Like you say hopefully Chorley come first. But next season could be wide open their doesn't look like a genuine bigger hitter at the moment, but let's see how the summer develops.

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

I'd say they are favourites now.

I fancy Boston. Got a bit of moment well supported. 

I do hope Worthing come up first game of the season away against us. Beat them 4-0 and we are all in Brighton on the piss 

15 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

I fancy Boston. Got a bit of moment well supported. 

I do hope Worthing come up first game of the season away against us. Beat them 4-0 and we are all in Brighton on the piss 

Knowing the NL it will probably be a Tuesday night in

February.