National League Thread

Looks like the Sale of Rochdale to the Ogden family is set to be completed.

From the media…….

Amongst their other plans they are to establish "a new sports facility", to be used by the first team and academy, while they also pledged to mount a first-team budget befitting a promotion challenge for next season.

This season would have been a perfect opportunity for us to go up. The prospect of Southend and now Rochdale being in the mix makes it so much harder next season.

I fear we could be down here for a while!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Looks like the Sale of Rochdale to the Ogden family is set to be completed.

From the media…….

Amongst their other plans they are to establish "a new sports facility", to be used by the first team and academy, while they also pledged to mount a first-team budget befitting a promotion challenge for next season.

This season would have been a perfect opportunity for us to go up. The prospect of Southend and now Rochdale being in the mix makes it so much harder next season.

I fear we could be down here for a while!

The statement I read didn't sound like they were throwing too much money at it. "A budget to give us a fighting chance of making the playoffs" was the main bit relating to football and doesn't scream the new Wrexham or Stockport (hopefully).

Just now, mick26 said:

The statement I read didn't sound like they were throwing too much money at it. "A budget to give us a fighting chance of making the playoffs" was the main bit relating to football and doesn't scream the new Wrexham or Stockport (hopefully).

I bloody hope so…I couldn’t handle playing second fiddle to Rochdale!

• Like 1

There are noises that one of the teams in the playoffs might not be allowed to compete (possibly Gateshead due to ground regs?) - the Aldershot manager mentions it in his post-match press conf. So 8th might get in. Makes our end of season collapse all the more frustrating.

54 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

There are noises that one of the teams in the playoffs might not be allowed to compete (possibly Gateshead due to ground regs?) - the Aldershot manager mentions it in his post-match press conf. So 8th might get in. Makes our end of season collapse all the more frustrating.

Gateshead and Halifax have to play their games away though, so must be longer term issues such as their grounds not being up to EFL standards etc, which I can’t see. There are some awful stadiums in the EFL too. 

Something we've not really discussed is how the National League will look next season, relegations/promotions have not been very kind to us as it stands we will lose.

Chesterfield

Boreham Wood

Kidderminster 

Dorking

Oxford 

And one from Barnet, Bromley, Altrincham, Solihull, Gateshead and Halifax 

And gaining.

Forest Green

Sutton

Tamworth

Yeovil

Plus two others, one of which is guaranteed to be a trek.

On the face of it that's horrendous and potentially even more miles to travel.

22 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Something we've not really discussed is how the National League will look next season, relegations/promotions have not been very kind to us as it stands we will lose.

Chesterfield

Boreham Wood

Kidderminster 

Dorking

Oxford 

And one from Barnet, Bromley, Altrincham, Solihull, Gateshead and Halifax 

And gaining.

Forest Green

Sutton

Tamworth

Yeovil

Plus two others, one of which is guaranteed to be a trek.

On the face of it that's horrendous and potentially even more miles to travel.

Not if you live darn sarf…😉

15 minutes ago, mick26 said:

Solihull get a bye.

Genuinely feel for Gateshead. Good footballing side there on merit, but it shows the perils of not owning your own ground - as with Halifax and the Council owned shit tip of a pitch.

Edited by Boyyou

22 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Surely it should be Bromley that get the bye, given they finished the highest? And Solihull and Alty have to play each other...

Bromley are already home in the "semi final". Can't have a bye straight to the final. Could understand Alty being a bit miffed.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Surely it should be Bromley that get the bye, given they finished the highest? And Solihull and Alty have to play each other...

Bromley (3rd) and Barnet (2nd) move straight to a home semifinal so they can't benefit anymore than that. 

Normally;

4th plays 7th

5th play 6th

For me Alty (4th) should get the bye and play Bromley away for a place at Wembley and Solihull (5th) should host Halifax (7th) with the winner playing Barnet away.

Saying that this is NL so anything is possible.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Bromley (3rd) and Barnet (2nd) move straight to a home semifinal so they can't benefit anymore than that. 

Normally;

4th plays 7th

5th play 6th

For me Alty (4th) should get the bye and play Bromley away for a place at Wembley and Solihull (5th) should host Halifax (7th) with the winner playing Barnet away.

Saying that this is NL so anything is possible.

Sorry, yes - this is what should happen.

Just now, disjointed said:

So Gateshead have played this season for fuck all, surely the league would have informed any tams who didn't meet the criteria at the start of the season. 

The stadium is ok - it's the lack of tenure of security that's the problem

2 minutes ago, disjointed said:

So Gateshead have played this season for fuck all, surely the league would have informed any teams who didn't meet the criteria at the start of the season. 

If I've read it correctly Gateshead have known about and been trying to sort the problem with the council for the past 2 years.

25 minutes ago, astottie said:

If I've read it correctly Gateshead have known about and been trying to sort the problem with the council for the past 2 years.

And we think  Oldham Council is crap! 

41 minutes ago, astottie said:

The NL could have set a deadline, say 10 matches ago and stated that if Gateshead finish in the play-offs the next team down takes their place.

No team should get a bye 

6 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

The NL could have set a deadline, say 10 matches ago and stated that if Gateshead finish in the play-offs the next team down takes their place.

No team should get a bye 

Must be something already in the rules from that NL statement that means it is what it is. Shite in a lot of ways that though

49 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Must be something already in the rules from that NL statement that means it is what it is. Shite in a lot of ways that though

Whoever finished 8th didn't earn a place in the play offs