National League Thread

13 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I think there's some fair observations in this. @BPAS mentioned that they'll try and get DR, MM on for an interview soon. It'll be a good question to directly ask; if SB was employed and used last summer, why was the overrall recruitment so unbalanaced?

I suspect I know what the answer is going to be though.

MM won’t go on, he made it’s pretty clear when asked.

3 minutes ago, latics22 said:

MM won’t go on, he made it’s pretty clear when asked.

Yeah I saw that- when Dave asked him. 

Think they might’ve upset him when they said on socials that he walked out of post match presser without taking their questions. 

Don’t think he likes questions that aren’t the - generic - easy to bat way stuff he gets from Alan. 

16 hours ago, OneSizeFitz said:

Which of the best teams in the world don't use data as part of their scouting process, do you suppose? 

Let's say every team in the Premiership or Champions League uses it. Who wins the Premiership/Champions League? As I`ve said before competitive advantage comes via other aspects. You`ve got to learn to ignore the marketing hype.

From what I have heard we have spent an eye watering amount of money on recruitment so far. I`m presuming that's on salaries rather than fees. I`ve been told we were second only to Wrexham (on player spending) when they were around. 

Wrexham were promoted a couple of years after their "new money" came in and got their processes bang on, as they are now also riding very high in League 2 in their first season. 

I`ve read that we are approaching 2 years of new ownership. We don't look ready for promotion from a poor league and certainly don't look ready to even hold our own in League 2, never mind do well like Wrexham. Everyone keeps mentioning how off the pitch it's a fantastic turnaround. Great. In football at this level it's primarily on the pitch that ultimately matters. We appear to have wasted a pile of the new owners money; that can't be right. Lots of our players are nowhere near what is required. That's a major concern and should be the sole focus now for the board. We have to be promoted next season if things aren't to fizzle out. 

1 hour ago, spanishfly said:

Let's say every team in the Premiership or Champions League uses it. Who wins the Premiership/Champions League? As I`ve said before competitive advantage comes via other aspects. You`ve got to learn to ignore the marketing hype.

From what I have heard we have spent an eye watering amount of money on recruitment so far. I`m presuming that's on salaries rather than fees. I`ve been told we were second only to Wrexham (on player spending) when they were around. 

Wrexham were promoted a couple of years after their "new money" came in and got their processes bang on, as they are now also riding very high in League 2 in their first season. 

I`ve read that we are approaching 2 years of new ownership. We don't look ready for promotion from a poor league and certainly don't look ready to even hold our own in League 2, never mind do well like Wrexham. Everyone keeps mentioning how off the pitch it's a fantastic turnaround. Great. In football at this level it's primarily on the pitch that ultimately matters. We appear to have wasted a pile of the new owners money; that can't be right. Lots of our players are nowhere near what is required. That's a major concern and should be the sole focus now for the board. We have to be promoted next season if things aren't to fizzle out. 

But if using data as part of your approach to scouting were such "nonsense", because football is such a "simple game", then surely a competitive advantage would come from not using it at all? Which brings us back to my original question... 

Statistics and data are helpful evidence in informing decisions when it comes to recruitment. They shouldn't be relied upon as the sole source of information, but they help to make the decision-making process more efficient and objective. That's not me falling for "marketing hype"; it's evidenced by the fact that every professional club in the country will use them to some degree.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, diggleblue said:

Boreham wood lead Aldershot. Barmey league.

They're two nil up now and a win only makes our pathetic draw at an already relegated club an absolute criminal waste of an opportunity to gain ground and put pressure on.

Fucking infuriating.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Wardie said:

They're two nil up now and a win only makes our pathetic draw at an already relegated club an absolute criminal waste of an opportunity to gain ground and put pressure on.

Fucking infuriating.

Yes and if Ald. Lose our game against Halifax on their shit hole of a pitch takes on new significance.Can we play in mud???

It’s still highly unlikely, but we could do with Southend going up if they sneak those play offs, which would be remarkable in itself. I’d fancy them next season if they stay down and their takeover finally gets done. A few clubs could look at Maher though, as he’s done a phenomenal job. 

8 hours ago, daniel said:

It’s still highly unlikely, but we could do with Southend going up if they sneak those play offs, which would be remarkable in itself. I’d fancy them next season if they stay down and their takeover finally gets done. A few clubs could look at Maher though, as he’s done a phenomenal job. 

Yes but it takes 5 years to get everything back on an even footing.......

6 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Just imagine 3 more years of this dross? We’ll be down to Rochdale type attendances. 

14 hours ago, Wardie said:

Fucking infuriating.

Maybe so but this half arsed team were never winning the playoffs!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Maybe allowing a manager two and a half years in the job might have something to do with it.

• Like 2

I'm hoping Southend get into the playoffs and go on to get promoted because I think they'll probably be the best team in the National League next season if not.

(Edit - just listening to podcast and Andy is of the same thought)

Edited by IanMarshall's Mullet

There's still yourselves, us and Aldershot as well as Halifax for that last spot.

The only advantage we have is that we have one game left, Rochdale at the Hall. Halifax have 3 games in 5 days, you have 2 in 3 (and will have to beat Halifax at the Shay) whereas Aldershot have 2 games in 4 days. I think they have the hardest season end with a long away trip to Gateshead and then Dagenham.

Tiredness will creep in.

I watched us at Fylde last Saturday who had played Gatehead 2 days earlier. Second half Fylde were knackered, and their pitch was pretty badly cut up from said game. That said I thought we play extremely well.

17 minutes ago, Glossop Shrimper said:

There's still yourselves, us and Aldershot as well as Halifax for that last spot.

The only advantage we have is that we have one game left, Rochdale at the Hall. Halifax have 3 games in 5 days, you have 2 in 3 (and will have to beat Halifax at the Shay) whereas Aldershot have 2 games in 4 days. I think they have the hardest season end with a long away trip to Gateshead and then Dagenham.

Tiredness will creep in.

I watched us at Fylde last Saturday who had played Gatehead 2 days earlier. Second half Fylde were knackered, and their pitch was pretty badly cut up from said game. That said I thought we play extremely well.

All over for both of us if Halifax win tonight. 

Agree.

Ebbsfleet tonight, whom I think will give them a game and a half. Their last game is against Boreham Wood who are just below them in the relegation zone so tonight is crucial.

We played Ebbsfleet away last month (1-1). At the time they were top of the form table, and were a good solid team. On that performance hard to fathom their league position. If Dominic Poleon can play like he did against us, they're in with a chance.

51 minutes ago, Glossop Shrimper said:

Agree.

Ebbsfleet tonight, whom I think will give them a game and a half. Their last game is against Boreham Wood who are just below them in the relegation zone so tonight is crucial.

We played Ebbsfleet away last month (1-1). At the time they were top of the form table, and were a good solid team. On that performance hard to fathom their league position. If Dominic Poleon can play like he did against us, they're in with a chance.

I fancy you to sneak it for what it's worth, ourselves and Aldershot are piss poor and Halifax will be running on empty come Thursday, Dale won't offer much on Saturday and if you play anywhere near the level when we visited first game this season you'll put 5 or 6 past them. If it goes down to Saturday then fair play to your lads given what they've been up against. 

• Like 2

This seasons agents fees were released today! (Feb 23- Feb 24)

Just over £600k was paid out by NL clubs.

We spent the 2nd highest figure and paid over £82k to agents...

Chesterfield spent £52k....

Gateshaed spent nothing....

The teams currently in 2nd to 7th spent £85k COMBINED!

Someone needs to fucking sort our recruitment policy out! £82k to agents bringing us these wasters.

Top spenders by a mile were York who somehow spent £129k and may still go down!!!

Edited by Londonboy

I don’t understand how it’s accepted in football that clubs pay agents. They work for the players so any agents fees should come out of their pockets. 

14 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

This seasons agents fees were released today! (Feb 23- Feb 24)

Just over £600k was paid out by NL clubs.

We spent the 2nd highest figure and paid over £82k to agents...

Chesterfield spent £52k....

Gateshaed spent nothing....

The teams currently in 2nd to 7th spent £85k COMBINED!

Someone needs to fucking sort our recruitment policy out! £82k to agents bringing us these wasters.

Top spenders by a mile were York who somehow spent £129k and may still go down!!!

Ha, I’m thinking now that StatsBomb is a front for a consortium of agents!

It certainly begs the question whether they receive a kickback from completed deals.

Edited by JohnnyPimp
  • Like 1