MATCH: vs Solihull Moors (A) 03/12/22 (12.30KO)

37 minutes ago, League one forever said:

When you analysis what he’s done to that squad with the backing he’s had- it’s actually quite frightening. 

It is, and he’s surrounded by experience and knowledge aswell as a good number of the players he wanted. The set up couldn’t be better for him. He talks about moments and snippets of games where things change and cost us, but it seems the problem is before they’ve kicked a ball. There’s enough in that squad to have us easily top half but we are just getting worse. 

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, BP1960 said:

I thought we had a professional analyst at the club, what's the advice given I wonder, and is it even heeded?

Is this the video analyst you're talking about and is the advice being given even valid? The small cogs in the background appear to all be in place, it's just the fucking big cog at the front which isn't producing any results because it is well and truly jammed.

29 minutes ago, C.O.JONES said:

Just watched the lowlights and Dumpty Umpty's post match interview, two questions, did we have a right full back playing, as the two goals for them both came from that position and who was surprised?

You're a brave man. I can't bring myself to watch it yet. 😬

37 minutes ago, C.O.JONES said:

Just watched the lowlights and Dumpty Umpty's post match interview, two questions, did we have a right full back playing, as the two goals for them both came from that position and who was surprised?

Watched the highlights again. Gardner absolutely pathetic for the 2nd goal...

2 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

he was shite first time round but this incarnation has been so poor it's painfull. except that pass for Wellens.

don't think l've ever been so negative in my whole life and l spent the first 40 years of it overdrawn 😞

5 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I think his injuries are taking their toll.

He seemed to be holding a different part of his leg in pain every time anyone breathed near him on Saturday.

But then he doesn't pick himself, I guess..

10 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

if you get behind the sofa with your hands over your eyes you look like Kitching with an open net to head into

Doesn't come across on the highlights, but from where I was standing behind the goal it looked like the keeper was pulled back when he was coming for the cross, so it shouldn't have been allowed anyway...not that Kitching knew that!

17 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I think his injuries are taking their toll.

He seemed to be holding a different part of his leg in pain every time anyone breathed near him on Saturday.

But then he doesn't pick himself, I guess..

Don't think he's ever recovered from the injury during his last spell here.

42 minutes ago, redlion said:

You're a brave man. I can't bring myself to watch it yet. 😬

Just watched the ‘highlights’…

Clarke gives the ball away for the first, Hogan loses the ball for the second. 

As was apparent on the day, and all season, they were so much faster to the ball and stronger in the tackle.

Our goal was put in by Clarke and Kitching should have made it ‘Desmond’ at the very end too 😮

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Still stick by the fact that we have only looked half decent this year when he plays. He’s still below average but he’s the best of a bad bunch I’m afraid. 

4 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Still stick by the fact that we have only looked half decent this year when he plays. He’s still below average but he’s the best of a bad bunch I’m afraid. 

I did think when he re-signed that he would be steady in this division, however, his legs have gone, he's too negative (one forward pass per game doesn't cut it) and its time to hang up his boots, get him paid off before he limps off again next game.

4 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Is he? Always overrated. Still is it seems. 

19 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Yeah, he’s got a mistake in him a game. But he makes our midfield look far better, only one that can actually play. 

He competing against utter rubbish. 

Replace 'can' with 'could'.

On 12/4/2022 at 7:00 AM, Lee Sinnott said:

We started brightly enough for the first ten minutes or so, but soon reverted to type in what was a drab first half.

We came out for the second half and were absolutely abysmal. Solihull cut through us time and time again, and we were lucky that we only found ourselves two down.

Gardner was very poor and I only noticed Chapman was playing when he came to take a corner in front of us in the 2nd half. The gap between midfield and defence was absolutely huge - for my money it's because our centre halves have a combined age of 73 and instinctively both drop deep- and the two Solihull strikers cottoned on to that and dropped deep to turn and run at Clarke and Hogan. 

The consolation goal (which I'm convinced was Clarke and not Rooney) made the scoreline flattering for us because Solihull should have been out of sight...

Yep, this sums up the game for me.

I don’t want to get caught up in the Unsworth out stuff, I just want to explore how we might set up better with the players we already have.

for most of the game we looked very easy to play against. When we had the ball we were slow and ponderous and got closed down easily. When they had it, spaces appeared for them to run into and for that 20 minutes in the second half they just carved us up by going straight through us in the middle of the pitch. 

he is going to stick with Clarke and Hogan for the next few games and those two will need to sort out their game plan; how deep will they defend and how do they stay closer together and not get pulled apart so easily ( maybe don’t give the ball away five yards in front of you Clarkey with your midfield all expecting the ball to go beyond them).

we need a proper right back. Is Jordan Clarke fit, is his head right now? What about Angol, can Kitching play right back? Carragher, where is he now?Okagbue - has he played right back before?

one reason we need a right back is because I would move Sheron into a ‘boo boy three’ midfield. Him and Gardener are good enough for this level and between them just need to get hold of games (Peck looks talented, but I felt he was light on Saturday and he might have got bullied a bit).
The trio is completed by everyone’s favourite, John Rooney. He has to play as a 10 though, get the ball into him in the final third, find those pockets of space.

Unsworth plays one up top, and that’s Reid for now (until he changes his mind and drops him). I think he tried a two for a bit on Saturday with Reid and Abraham. It didn’t look like it worked.

so then its two up and down wide men. Take your pick really. I would go with Chapman on the left (maybe Tollitt has a bit more skill,  he was unlucky when he hit the post in the first half) but Chapman looked better when he moved wide and I sense he will offer a bit more steel than Tollitt, whilst still being an outlet wide when we go forward. 

I’d play Hope on the right, again a good mix of skill and industry, though Abraham is an option and he offers pace, something obviously lacking in the rest of the team.

there is a lot of experience in that team. Those players have to take responsibility on the pitch (they seemed lost at times on Saturday and afraid to play, not cohesive and not playing for one another). For now I’ll put that down to the team chopping and changing so much. All the coaching staff and those fabled leaders on the pitch, which we now allegedly have,  need to drive a big change in effort and determination to move the ball forward quicker and with more purpose.

I doubt we’ll get anything on Tuesday, but we then have to win those two home league games as it’s two losses against Notts County after that. If we only pick up one or two points in the next five then it will be very difficult to persist with Unsworth any longer. That means it’s start all over again in January, and that could get very messy.

9 minutes ago, Andy Barlow’s dietician said:

Yep, this sums up the game for me.

I don’t want to get caught up in the Unsworth out stuff, I just want to explore how we might set up better with the players we already have.

for most of the game we looked very easy to play against. When we had the ball we were slow and ponderous and got closed down easily. When they had it, spaces appeared for them to run into and for that 20 minutes in the second half they just carved us up by going straight through us in the middle of the pitch. 

he is going to stick with Clarke and Hogan for the next few games and those two will need to sort out their game plan; how deep will they defend and how do they stay closer together and not get pulled apart so easily ( maybe don’t give the ball away five yards in front of you Clarkey with your midfield all expecting the ball to go beyond them).

we need a proper right back. Is Jordan Clarke fit, is his head right now? What about Angol, can Kitching play right back? Carragher, where is he now?Okagbue - has he played right back before?

one reason we need a right back is because I would move Sheron into a ‘boo boy three’ midfield. Him and Gardener are good enough for this level and between them just need to get hold of games (Peck looks talented, but I felt he was light on Saturday and he might have got bullied a bit).
The trio is completed by everyone’s favourite, John Rooney. He has to play as a 10 though, get the ball into him in the final third, find those pockets of space.

Unsworth plays one up top, and that’s Reid for now (until he changes his mind and drops him). I think he tried a two for a bit on Saturday with Reid and Abraham. It didn’t look like it worked.

so then its two up and down wide men. Take your pick really. I would go with Chapman on the left (maybe Tollitt has a bit more skill,  he was unlucky when he hit the post in the first half) but Chapman looked better when he moved wide and I sense he will offer a bit more steel than Tollitt, whilst still being an outlet wide when we go forward. 

I’d play Hope on the right, again a good mix of skill and industry, though Abraham is an option and he offers pace, something obviously lacking in the rest of the team.

there is a lot of experience in that team. Those players have to take responsibility on the pitch (they seemed lost at times on Saturday and afraid to play, not cohesive and not playing for one another). For now I’ll put that down to the team chopping and changing so much. All the coaching staff and those fabled leaders on the pitch, which we now allegedly have,  need to drive a big change in effort and determination to move the ball forward quicker and with more purpose.

I doubt we’ll get anything on Tuesday, but we then have to win those two home league games as it’s two losses against Notts County after that. If we only pick up one or two points in the next five then it will be very difficult to persist with Unsworth any longer. That means it’s start all over again in January, and that could get very messy.

Carragher injured and gone back.

another constructive well articulated post tho, very similar to what is swilling around tryn escape my head!!

Archived