MATCH: vs Solihull Moors (A) 03/12/22 (12.30KO)

2 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

We started brightly enough for the first ten minutes or so, but soon reverted to type in what was a drab first half.

We came out for the second half and were absolutely abysmal. Solihull cut through us time and time again, and we were lucky that we only found ourselves two down.

Gardner was very poor and I only noticed Chapman was playing when he came to take a corner in front of us in the 2nd half. The gap between midfield and defence was absolutely huge - for my money it's because our centre halves have a combined age of 73 and instinctively both drop deep- and the two Solihull strikers cottoned on to that and dropped deep to turn and run at Clarke and Hogan. 

The consolation goal (which I'm convinced was Clarke and not Rooney) made the scoreline flattering for us because Solihull should have been out of sight...

100% agreement regarding the defence. l was banging on for ages that Hogan would help and enable us to move to a back four. however, within seconds of Clarke signing l posted here l didnt think they could play together bc Hogan is basically Clarke Light and they were too old and slow.

l'm still backing Unsworth bc l always back the manager and am not a panic monger, but such tactical naiivety can not be tolerated extensively as it will make me look rather daft.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

It made sense to bring Maynard on to plug the massive gap between defence and midfield. Although Maynard was absolutely crap when he came on...

Maynard need to be in excellent form and almost literally pull out his tripe to have a good game. he is an extremely poor Footballer with limited mobility and similar pace to myself. when lm asleep.

17 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

100% agreement regarding the defence. l was banging on for ages that Hogan would help and enable us to move to a back four. however, within seconds of Clarke signing l posted here l didnt think they could play together bc Hogan is basically Clarke Light and they were too old and slow.

l'm still backing Unsworth bc l always back the manager and am not a panic monger, but such tactical naiivety can not be tolerated extensively as it will make me look rather daft.

Sutton should be back soon so it could be 3 at the back again. We wiill have still have the lack of pace problem though and no suitable right wing back.

10 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Nowhere near 7k, 4k would be nearer the mark!

7k - 4k. Both have been bandied about. Both guesses and both unlikely to be repeated after what we’ve seen so far. I can’t imagine too many ‘pay on the day’ fans still still paying £18-£22 to watch our home games at the moment. Yet home attendances are holding up remarkably well. 
Still going to be squeaky bum time when season tickets next go on sale. Euphoria  will almost certainly be in very short supply. 

11 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Sutton should be back soon so it could be 3 at the back again. We wiill have still have the lack of pace problem though and no suitable right wing back.

aye l like Sutton but he isnt the answer. it should be Clarke/Hogan with Okagbue (or a new decent young fast CB)

or a 24-30 year old proper CDM with experience and legs, which will cost us a lot of money.

With regards to playing Hogan and Clarke meaning we drop deep before Hogan returned to the side and before Clarke was signed we were still playing far too deep so I don't think it's just that. I think the problem seems to be we never want to take control of the game in midfield so we hand the initiative to the opposition who inevitably push us back.

His interviews are beyond repetitive now. He again says, "I'm not surprised...". He should be. This isn't the same team he was "not surprised..." by a month a go.

I get his job is supposedly secure but Rothwell and the Royles couldn't surely have foreseen just how shit this was going to be. 

His objective was already lowered into "just stay up". Not for one minute was that the goal when he came in.

Clearly it was a costly appointment and there was a bit of 'let's just get this season out the way'. Imagine there are some sleepless nights though now. There's absolutely nothing to suggest things are going to get better. Not even a glimmer of hope at the moment.

If we hadn't have clearly spent so much on getting Unsworth and all his men, I think I decision would've been made after yesterday. His career is potentially in tatters before its started.

We should be looking at damage limitation and now and paying off as little as we can. I want stability as much as anyone but this appointment was a mistake. Admit it and act now before it's too late. 

11 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

With regards to playing Hogan and Clarke meaning we drop deep before Hogan returned to the side and before Clarke was signed we were still playing far too deep so I don't think it's just that. I think the problem seems to be we never want to take control of the game in midfield so we hand the initiative to the opposition who inevitably push us back.

Exactly. This is where we get hammered every game - anyone watching us play should know that and the opposition certainly does.

5 minutes ago, longtimeblue said:

His interviews are beyond repetitive now. He again says, "I'm not surprised...". He should be. This isn't the same team he was "not surprised..." by a month a go.

Comical isn’t it. 

My recent favourite is- with Clarke and Hogan I can finally play a 4 at back because they make us so much more secure. 

We’ve got a centre half pairing which means there’s gaping holes between defence and attack. We’ve not got a right back. We’ve got no centre midfielder capable of carrying the ball. We’ve signed a striker who plays best in a two and put him up front on his own. We’ve signed so many players yet still have so many problems. 

And now there’s rumours of two more strikers coming in - where does that leave Reid?

Meanwhile we’ve got Unsworth telling us we’re only a couple of wins from mid table which is just a lie. Frank is clearly investing on the pitch which is what we all wanted but he’s employed the wrong guy to spend his money.

If Unsworth is still around come the New Year and we are in the bottom 4, we will need to employ a manager who can hit the ground running and get results instantly, a fire fighter who might not necessarily be the long term answer but will get us out of the current predicament which in itself is a problem for long term stability. Think along the lines of an Allardyce type, there loads of them about who come in January to fight of relegation but don't really progress a club any further than that. Shez has done it himself numerous times. Ideally Unsworth turns it round quickly but if not the club will have to act. If I was looking for a manager who fits the bill for this division who will have an immediate impact, i'd be on the phone to Askey this afternoon but I suspect if we don't pick a win up in the next 2 or 3 games, Peter Clarke might find himself in the dugout.

Just now, PeteG said:

If Unsworth is still around come the New Year and we are in the bottom 4, we will need to employ a manager who can hit the ground running and get results instantly, a fire fighter who might not necessarily be the long term answer but will get us out of the current predicament which in itself is a problem for long term stability. Think along the lines of an Allardyce type, there loads of them about who come in January to fight of relegation but don't really progress a club any further than that. Shez has done it himself numerous times. Ideally Unsworth turns it round quickly but if not the club will have to act. If I was looking for a manager who fits the bill for this division who will have an immediate impact, i'd be on the phone to Askey this afternoon but I suspect if we don't pick a win up in the next 2 or 3 games, Peter Clarke might find himself in the dugout.

Peter Clarke is on a months loan. He’s not going to be out next manager whilst he remains on loan ffs. That would be a joke. 

Just now, LightDN123 said:

Peter Clarke is on a months loan. He’s not going to be out next manager whilst he remains on loan ffs. That would be a joke. 

I'm sure if he was offered the job, Walsall would happily release him from his contract to take up a managers position. He's obviously not required there or they wouldn't have let him out on loan.

22 minutes ago, longtimeblue said:

I get his job is supposedly secure but Rothwell and the Royles couldn't surely have foreseen just how shit this was going to be. 

His objective was already lowered into "just stay up". Not for one minute was that the goal when he came in.

Clearly it was a costly appointment and there was a bit of 'let's just get this season out the way'. Imagine there are some sleepless nights though now. There's absolutely nothing to suggest things are going to get better. Not even a glimmer of hope at the moment.

If we hadn't have clearly spent so much on getting Unsworth and all his men, I think I decision would've been made after yesterday. His career is potentially in tatters before its started.

We should be looking at damage limitation and now and paying off as little as we can. I want stability as much as anyone but this appointment was a mistake. Admit it and act now before it's too late. 

Yes, obviously everything was done with the best intentions and on the face of it it looked good. I don’t know what the hell is wrong but something is not right because with all the options we have now 2nd bottom in non league is a disgrace and the board must surely be thinking what on earth is going on. We’ve got Notts County coming up twice soon and it’s just going to get worse. 
mite fair to say “ well who do we get if he goes?” But if he stays and we go down then we sack him, who do we get then? 

6 minutes ago, PeteG said:

I'm sure if he was offered the job, Walsall would happily release him from his contract to take up a managers position. He's obviously not required there or they wouldn't have let him out on loan.

Yes - I have it on good authority that he is surplus to requirements at Walsall - he's ours (in whatever capacity) if/when we want him.

I know the squad isn't blessed with quality all over but when you look at the starting line up and the bench yesterday plus the resources afforded to Unsworth, there is no way we should be 2nd bottom in what is a very poor league. There are teams in and around the play off positions who have squads no better than ours and certainly don't have the same resources but just know what is required and how to win games. I honestly think if any of us were in charge and didn't even take training and picked the team out of a hat, we'd all have won at least 1 game in 13.

Feel genuinely sorry for Frank spunking his wealth up the wall, being asked to sign players we don’t need.

We’re crying out for a DM who can boss that midfield and protect our defence when needed.  Yet we’re signing another two strikers.  If Abraham isn’t the answer and nor was Carty then WTF was DU thinking by signing these & now looking to sign a further two?!

Focus on investing on your midfield - get that sorted & unshackle the likes of Rooney and Peck, even Tollitt, and they'll supply for Reid & Abraham or a target man if Fondop is injured or out of favour.

Just seems we’re acquiring strikers as those employed aren’t scoring yet the issue isn’t the strikers but the supply from midfield.

Yesterday was clear that our central defenders are way  too slow, there was a huge gap between our defence and midfield, which allowed them to run wild and carve chance after chance hence scoring those two in succession.  Get the Stoke lad back, Carragher when fit and we’ll have some pace & mobility in the defence.  

If we have the money too, sign the DM, RB & RW we need … it’s not rocket science.

11 minutes ago, PeteG said:

wow.

Walsall manager picks him 14 times comes out in public and says he wanted him there but let him out on loan for personal reasons.

so bazza hears something nobody else hears and tries to close the Joe Royle stand.

4 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

Feel genuinely sorry for Frank spunking his wealth up the wall, being asked to sign players we don’t need.

We’re crying out for a DM who can boss that midfield and protect our defence when needed.  Yet we’re signing another two strikers.  If Abraham isn’t the answer and nor was Carty then WTF was DU thinking by signing these & now looking to sign a further two?!

Focus on investing on your midfield - get that sorted & unshackle the likes of Rooney and Peck, even Tollitt, and they'll supply for Reid & Abraham or a target man if Fondop is injured or out of favour.

Just seems we’re acquiring strikers as those employee aren’t scoring yet the issue isn’t the strikers but the supply from midfield.

If we have rate money, sign the DM, RB & RW we need … it’s not rocket science 

. . . and the only striker with a decent return now can’t get a game. 

13 minutes ago, League one forever said:

When you analysis what he’s done to that squad with the backing he’s had- it’s actually quite frightening. 

I thought we had a professional analyst at the club, what's the advice given I wonder, and is it even heeded?

Archived