Unsworth

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

He got it right by default tonight  with the half time subs, we'd never have won that with Chapman and Nuttall still on.

Err . . . that's why he took them off. Sounds like he got it right by making the right choice. Certainly not by default 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bazerx said:

Err . . . that's why he took them off. Sounds like he got it right by making the right choice. Certainly not by default 

Not my take, he got it wrong from the off. But to his credit he made the necessary adjustments.

If he starts Nuttall and Chapman in the next game I'll still say he got it wrong as they are in my opinion lack lustre players. However, when they show the same spirit as the rest of the team I'll congratulate them.

Not particularly happy about Shelton either, but he starts as we are limited in that area.

As mentioned before I look for dynamic players and these don't fit the bill as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by BP1960

27 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Not my take, he got it wrong from the off. But to his credit he made the necessary adjustments.

If he starts Nuttall and Chapman in the next game I'll still say he got it wrong as they are in my opinion lack lustre players. However, when they show the same spirit as the rest of the team I'll congratulate them.

Not particularly happy about Shelton either, but he starts as we are limited in that area.

As mentioned before I look for dynamic players and these don't fit the bill as far as I'm concerned.

Hopefully he'll sign all your recommendations this summer BP then we'll be easily up as champions next year! 😜

34 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Wow 😮 ‘shakes head in disbelief’

Give the man some credit for chrissakes! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

5 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Please read what I posted instead of making assumptions.

"But to his credit he made the necessary adjustments".

And if you have read my previous observations I also have given him credit for signing Yarney. Exactly the type of player we need to get out of this division.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Please read what I posted instead of making assumptions.

"But to his credit he made the necessary adjustments".

And if you have read my previous observations I also have given him credit for signing Yarney. Exactly the type of player we need to get out of this division.

No assumptions made @BP1960… it’s just the words:

“he got it wrong from the off”

seem a tad harsh in my opinion.

I saw it as him sticking with the team that won last time out and then making a tactical decision (that paid off) at halftime 👍

• Like 2

First half was absolutely fine, set up to defend well but got forward more as a unit and had the best chances and could have gone 2 up 

Despite the criticism I thought Nuttall was pretty decent given that he was on his own and there is a player in Chapman and he’s still young with limited experience

I felt Unsworth made the changes not because those two were poor but more because he identified correctly that Barnet were struggling at the back and the keeper was having huge problems so he went for the jugular with the changes…it’s easy to say we should simply have started with that set up but that’s not how things work and the whole point of having a squad is that the substitutions make a positive difference…it was noticeable that for Barnet they didn’t whereas we are starting to see that we have a bench that can change games and that is the road to success

I am no happy clapper but last night was a big game having come just days after the great effort at Chesterfield

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

No assumptions made @BP1960… it’s just the words:

“he got it wrong from the off”

seem a tad harsh in my opinion.

I saw it as him sticking with the team that won last time out and then making a tactical decision (that paid off) at halftime 👍

Fair enough, my opinion is you start with your best players not those who have regularly been giving weak performances.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Making effective substitutions is very much the mark of a successful modern manager in a way which it wasn't in the very recent past.  Less so down here than at the top level but still important.

Liverpool were doing this some 35 years ago with  David Fairclough. You could hardly call Bob Paisley anything like a modern day manager. He was succesful though.

9 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Liverpool were doing this some 35 years ago with  David Fairclough. You could hardly call Bob Paisley anything like a modern day manager. He was succesful though.

A rather different context but yes, he had a remarkable record.  Wiki tells me Fairclough scored once for us.  I have a memory which, like Wiki, may or may not be reliable that I saw that in a win at Highfield Road.

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

A rather different context but yes, he had a remarkable record.  Wiki tells me Fairclough scored once for us.  I have a memory which, like Wiki, may or may not be reliable that I saw that in a win at Highfield Road.

...and 2 against Liverpool in a 4-2 League Cup defeat at Boundary Park. 

3 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Strangely, I'm sure I remember him playing away at Huddersfield. Pretty sure we got beat. Apart from that, I have even more vague memories.

They say a weeks a long time in politics, well it's certainly a long time at BP. I would over 95% wanted him gone after the Gateshead loss last week, yet 2 fantastic away wins later, it does seem we may have turned the corner. I'm not getting carried away, we need to keep this going and finish top half now to give us genuine belief for next season. If Unsworth does pull this off long term we will all be eating humble pie and the board would need to be congratulated for holding their nerve.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PeteG said:

They say a weeks a long time in politics, well it's certainly a long time at BP. I would over 95% wanted him gone after the Gateshead loss last week, yet 2 fantastic away wins later, it does seem we may have turned the corner. I'm not getting carried away, we need to keep this going and finish top half now to give us genuine belief for next season. If Unsworth does pull this off long term we will all be eating humble pie and the board would need to be congratulated for holding their nerve.

Football fans are fickle, was it ever thus. I had stuck with Unsworth until the Halifax (h) defeat, I really want him to be a success, perhaps he may have turned the corner. I would love to eat humble pie. 

18 minutes ago, PeteG said:

I agree about the board but not the humble pie 😉

28 minutes ago, C.O.JONES said:

Ah yes, Humble Pie with the excellent Steve Marriott and Peter Frampton. I seem to remember that they only had one hit though. 

Hit was Natural Born Boogie but they made some great albums both in the studio and especially live.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2023 at 10:10 PM, Wardie said:

Dream on..they are blind to Unsworth's failings, apparently.

I've been going to Boundary park for the past 57 years. Seen good and bad, but never this bad. I'll be meeting Darren socially in a few weeks. I knew him when he was a pharmaceutical rep. I suppose his answers to my questions will be diplomatic but I can't wait to hear them.

Listen to Duxberry on the podcast. Fascinating to hear how Neil Warnock managed his teams. I really hope DU is doing the same. Unsworth for me has shown no ability to pick his best team,has shown no tactical ability and until the last 2 games has failed to motivate the players.However I really want him to succeed so let's hope this run continues. Frank deserves some joy as do we all. This seasons end will show if we were correct in our criticism of Unsworth or if he has what is needed. I hope he succeeds cause I'm sure he's a really nice bloke.

• Like 3

The most interesting aspect I found with Matt and Dave's chat with Dux was the comments he made surrounding players these days being over coached, it's something I've mentioned on here a couple of times and it's how players are now coached to death and chastised if they are an inch out of position, that's not how you win football games particularly if the opposition manager is on to it after 20 minutes of play and adjusts his tactics accordingly, is it coincidence that our best run of form has come when they've probably lost a day or two from the week on the training pitch?, players would much rather play than train it takes the monotony away, I'm happy for Unsworth to take the credit for the wins in the same way that I think he should be held to account when we lose but I cant help thinking that this upturn in form is in part due to the mood in the dressing room or as Dux would say they are working it out for themselves on the pitch and finding a way, let's hope it continues and they take this new found confidence in to the next couple of games.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

The most interesting aspect I found with Matt and Dave's chat with Dux was the comments he made surrounding players these days being over coached, it's something I've mentioned on here a couple of times and it's how players are now coached to death and chastised if they are an inch out of position, that's not how you win football games particularly if the opposition manager is on to it after 20 minutes of play and adjusts his tactics accordingly, is it coincidence that our best run of form has come when they've probably lost a day or two from the week on the training pitch?, players would much rather play than train it takes the monotony away, I'm happy for Unsworth to take the credit for the wins in the same way that I think he should be held to account when we lose but I cant help thinking that this upturn in form is in part due to the mood in the dressing room or as Dux would say they are working it out for themselves on the pitch and finding a way, let's hope it continues and they take this new found confidence in to the next couple of games.

Yet you then give him no credit...

• Like 1

Agree re the "over coaching". Think our players have been thinking about what they have been told to do instead of just getting on with playing. Pretty much a whole new squad has meant this is necessary, I suppose. I feel, however that now the side is getting settled and the players are getting to know each other, we are now playing more naturally and instinctively - to good effect.

I would say that bad coaches over coach, good coaches give the right amount of coaching and tailor what each individual needs to get the best out of them. I'd imagine the Notts County players are subjected to modern coaching methods and they're doing ok.