Unsworth

I think we all tend to think things were better in the old days. For all us Oldham Athletic supporting old gits we have some consolation that is an incontrovertible truth, I refer you to the Joe Royle era.

However I remember my Dad telling me in the 80s that the players of that era weren't fit to lace the boots of the players in his youth.

He was in good company. Fred Trueman, Ray Illingworth, Geoff Boycott and others spent much of their broadcasting careers telling the nation that current cricketers weren't a patch on, well, themselves. They may have had a point given their illustrious careers.

It was ever thus, it was always better in the old days and there were always bigger characters and better players in our salad days.

Perhaps players these days are over coached but I'm increasingly content that we have characters, talkers and thinkers in our squad. In addition to the captain you can add the likes of Varney, Kitching and Fondop. Sheron looks outstanding in this respect to me, always encouraging his team mates. 

It's only a couple of months, only a couple of games but definite grounds for optimism.

Some illustrious rugby union coaches talk about having leaders on the pitch who can adapt to circumstances as they arise. It's probably essential in a 15 man game & of value with 11 but it will only work when such players have confidence to take such a role. Maybe we are beginning to see that.

2 hours ago, JohnH said:

Agree re the "over coaching". Think our players have been thinking about what they have been told to do instead of just getting on with playing. Pretty much a whole new squad has meant this is necessary, I suppose. I feel, however that now the side is getting settled and the players are getting to know each other, we are now playing more naturally and instinctively - to good effect.

I love it when a player coming on as a sub, has a PowerPoint shoved under his nose by some tactics coach and the player just stares blankly at the pad while nodding every so often…

🙄

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I love it when a player coming on as a sub, has a PowerPoint shoved under his nose by some tactics coach and the player just stares blankly at the pad while nodding every so often…

🙄

And that's often when they are brought on in stoppage time.

2 hours ago, Hemel latic said:

I think we all tend to think things were better in the old days. For all us Oldham Athletic supporting old gits we have some consolation that is an incontrovertible truth, I refer you to the Joe Royle era.

However I remember my Dad telling me in the 80s that the players of that era weren't fit to lace the boots of the players in his youth.

He was in good company. Fred Trueman, Ray Illingworth, Geoff Boycott and others spent much of their broadcasting careers telling the nation that current cricketers weren't a patch on, well, themselves. They may have had a point given their illustrious careers.

It was ever thus, it was always better in the old days and there were always bigger characters and better players in our salad days.

Perhaps players these days are over coached but I'm increasingly content that we have characters, talkers and thinkers in our squad. In addition to the captain you can add the likes of Varney, Kitching and Fondop. Sheron looks outstanding in this respect to me, always encouraging his team mates. 

It's only a couple of months, only a couple of games but definite grounds for optimism.

Was the ability of our players in the 1960s any better than now..check this out and let me know...

Edited by BP1960
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Was the ability of our players in the 1960s any better than now..check this out and let me know...

I can't see the link @BP1960, but I have come to realise my Dad was right more often than I gave him credit for as a know it all in my youth.

But my overall point was that eras are generally different rather than better or worse. 

Poor pitch, lots of giving the ball away. Some neat skills shown by Stevens and good pace from Blore. 

Playing out from the back was easier as the keeper could always pick the ball up 👍

Nice kit 😃

Edited by TheBigDog

53 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Started watching the following season(first in tangerine)so remember a few players from this side - Ledger, Frizzell, Bowie,Blore Towers, Asprey. Don't get highlights like that nowadays on Match of the Day!

Edited by mick26

5 hours ago, mick26 said:

Started watching the following season(first in tangerine)so remember a few players from this side - Ledger, Frizzell, Bowie,Blore Towers, Asprey. Don't get highlights like that nowadays on Match of the Day!

You don't.   And a proper referee with a comb over.

It's interesting that in sports where current levels of performance can objectively be compared with historical levels, athletes generally seem to be 'better' than their predecessors. I'm thinking of athletics, swimming, cycling where performance is measured against the clock.

Seems a bit implausible to me that the opposite is happening in football, despite people telling us it was better in the olden days... 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mick26 said:

I see Big Jim Bowie in our local.Doing very well for his age  and a proud Scot. Great days with Frizzell in charge 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, OneSizeFitz said:

It's interesting that in sports where current levels of performance can objectively be compared with historical levels, athletes generally seem to be 'better' than their predecessors. I'm thinking of athletics, swimming, cycling where performance is measured against the clock.

Seems a bit implausible to me that the opposite is happening in football, despite people telling us it was better in the olden days... 

Different definitions of better. Better to watch?

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Different definitions of better. Better to watch?

I find nostalgia often brings back memories of good times, putting less happy times to the back of my mind.

Maybe its psychological mechanism to prevent depression?

In a similar way hope for the future can lift the spirit.

If DU can produce a promotion winning team his early days will be forgotten in future years.

Probably a quack theory on my part.

Edited by BP1960

From the OT article yesterday, honestly it’s time we all got 100% behind him, I was at Barnet on Tuesday and it is absolutely clear the squad is playing for him and for each other. David Unsworth’ Blue n White army!!!!!

“……It's been tough. I listened to Graham Potter the other day talk about his difficulties and family life and mental health and I'm not saying I'm Graham Potter and we are Chelsea, but I'm a human being. I've got three wonderful children, I've got a family and friends and it's really tough," he said.

"My dad goes everywhere. He's the most amazing man. And it's tough.

"But that's my job. If you're a football manager and you're not aware of that then you shouldn't really be a football manager….”

12 hours ago, Flemboy said:

I see Big Jim Bowie in our local.Doing very well for his age  and a proud Scot. Great days with Frizzell in charge 

Love it how we called the older generation of players "Big Jim" and "Big Joe" for example. 

Never here Big Erling Haarland, or Big Andy Carol🙂

4 hours ago, BP1960 said:

I find nostalgia often brings back memories of good times, putting less happy times to the back of my mind.

Maybe its psychological mechanism to prevent depression?

In a similar way hope for the future can lift the spirit.

If DU can produce a promotion winning team his early days will be forgotten in future years.

Probably a quack theory on my part.

Despite this seasons poor quality in the main, I think we'll be close next season when he has 12 months of learnings from the many mistakes he has made..

Be great if you could give Unsworth some credit when it's due BP and start to get behind him a bit more. 

Tip for you.....if your still doing a bit of scouting for the club, maybe don't criticise the manager at every opportunity on a message board I'm sure he is aware of...you may get a better response 😉

6 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

From the OT article yesterday, honestly it’s time we all got 100% behind him, I was at Barnet on Tuesday and it is absolutely clear the squad is playing for him and for each other. David Unsworth’ Blue n White army!!!!!

“……It's been tough. I listened to Graham Potter the other day talk about his difficulties and family life and mental health and I'm not saying I'm Graham Potter and we are Chelsea, but I'm a human being. I've got three wonderful children, I've got a family and friends and it's really tough," he said.

"My dad goes everywhere. He's the most amazing man. And it's tough.

"But that's my job. If you're a football manager and you're not aware of that then you shouldn't really be a football manager….”

should have kept my mouth shut, 0-1 to feckin Boreham feckin Wood 

I am sick of us being shite and got carried away with the 2 wins 🤣🤣🤣

I give up

He got it wrong today but he's not going anywhere. 

The fanfare after one lucky win and a half-decent performance for the first time since October was a bit silly in hindsight. Just need to avoid relegation and see how he gets on in the first few months next season. If we aren't firmly in the top 3 by the end of October I would bin. 

• Like 2

Just now, GKing521 said:

He got it wrong today but he's not going anywhere. 

The fanfare after one lucky win and a half-decent performance for the first time since October was a bit silly in hindsight. Just need to avoid relegation and see how he gets on in the first few months next season. If we aren't firmly in the top 3 by the end of October I would bin. 

why in earth would this team be in the top 3?,