BPAS PODCAST: 5th Dec '22, S3:E18: Sorry Hole

The league table is bad and we are in a sorry state on the pitch but do we really want to start sacking the manager AGAIN?! Some say yes, some say no. We're joined by former non-exec. director of the club Richard Bowden to discuss what's going on.

To support the pod by paying a monthly subscription of just £2.99 via this link https://anchor.fm/bp-alert/subscribe. All the regular episodes will remain free to everyone. You can now also listen to the Latics Football Phone In as a podcast every Thursday morning from 7am.

You can also support us by visiting https://www.oafcpodcast.co.uk, subscribing to our mailing list and purchasing from our online shop.

Follow the show on Twitter, Instagram & Facebook @oafcpodcast. Please subscribe to our YouTube channel here

Download and listen to the podcast via the FanHub app, where content creators and fans alike are rewarded for getting involved #ctg.

You can find out more about Push The Boundary by visiting them at www.pushtheboundary.co.uk and following on Twitter @PTB_OAFC. Find out more about OASF at www.oasf.co.uk where you can also donate to the 1895 Fund.

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.com

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How f***king hypocritical is Matt Dean. It was ok for him to call out for the last 2 years and did nothing to contribute. Clearly calling out Brad, but he was fine with Brad being vocal last year. Unsworth might be a nice guy but his record is terrible, there was no recruitment process and it's going to end in tears.

Great listen as always, so thanks. 

Biggest take aways from it are, Brad well and truly needed calling out. I didn’t understand when the OASF backed him previously saying he is entitled to his views, he is but whilst a director of OASF he should act in a manner which is expected within that role. That doesn’t mean you can’t have an opinion, but calling out Unsworth on Twitter, via posting anti Unsworth videos and posts, also sharing some comment about a complaint within OAFC being made about him. He’s highly unprofessional and need removing from OASF. Saying that, OASF have cornered themselves with the statement supporting him, they could use the disclosure of the complaint to get him out of the role he is no longer suited to. 

I think Richard raised a great point. The board do need to come out and provide a plan of what exactly our aim is on the playing side and whether they are going to stick with Unsworth regardless. We started the season with Frank saying we have the players to get out of this league. Granted he was in no position to say that, he may have said it in the moment, however he said it and whether he intended to or not he set expectations. This was then further confirmed when we played Wrexham and in the build up he said we have to succeed given the size of the club ect, fine. 
However, that is not what we are seeing on the pitch. Are we seeing investment in the squad, yeah we absolutely are, but the points or performances are not following, yet. There is a huge disconnect between the boards initial expectations (which may have changed) and the fans expectations. The board between them, need to come up with some statement clearing the situation up. I am firmly in the Unsworth out camp as it stands, though I don’t think it’s helpful or needed that we as fans, boo, sing Sheridan chants, sing anti Unsworth chants. I agree that this only compounds the issue when done at games, though I will openly share my view on a forum such as this. 

The board needs to unite the fans under one objective, because I don’t think we have a clue what to expect given the mixed messages. A simple statement of, it’s not where we want to be, but this year we are fighting for survival with the intention of building a squad to challenge next year. We believe Unsworth is the man, and to support the club and give us time. (Far more articulate than this) 
There is no need for any League 1 in 4 years rubbish, we just need a statement to get behind and believe in for this and next season for now. 

Im afraid if they don’t release something and we continue to lose, as I believe we will, Unsworths time will be up. If you lose the fans, you are fighting an up hill battle, which is very very rarely won. If they want to keep him, back him publicly, give us expectations to judge the man against, and give us as fans an objective to get behind. 

The current situation is not particularly fair on Unsworth, it’s not fair on the fans, and the club will deal with all the emotion from the confusion. 

Like I said, I’m in the Unsworth out camp. But if they provide the statement that is so clearly required to back him with objectives, then I’ll get behind them and the team. Until then, the mess will continue. 

2 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

ftfy

I'm not so sure that's right to be honest. For reference, I'm in 4 different WhatsApp groups with Latics fans - 26 people in total - and all bar 3 want him gone. And those people (with the possible exception of my number plate friend) are certainly not vocal on social media or in the ground...

• Matt featured this topic
1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I'm not so sure that's right to be honest. For reference, I'm in 4 different WhatsApp groups with Latics fans - 26 people in total - and all bar 3 want him gone. And those people (with the possible exception of my number plate friend) are certainly not vocal on social media or in the ground...

interesting.

lm in similar and there's only one wants him gone (not Latics22 l wudnt be in a group with a weasel) 

however, quite a number moved onto the fence after saturday and a win tomoro could be the straw.

lm quite suprised tbh bc lve always tried to surround myself with people that disagree with me to try and keep my feet on the ground.

the one wants him gone is past debate, he's fuming, any Latics talk atall is met with instant 'we are shit we will lose' it would need a 20 match winning run to get him back, even 19 wouldnt be enough.

l understand, l just don't agree.

3 hours ago, PeteG said:

How f***king hypocritical is Matt Dean. It was ok for him to call out for the last 2 years and did nothing to contribute. Clearly calling out Brad, but he was fine with Brad being vocal last year. Unsworth might be a nice guy but his record is terrible, there was no recruitment process and it's going to end in tears.

this post could pull up plants

2 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Great listen as always, so thanks. 

Biggest take aways from it are, Brad well and truly needed calling out. I didn’t understand when the OASF backed him previously saying he is entitled to his views, he is but whilst a director of OASF he should act in a manner which is expected within that role. That doesn’t mean you can’t have an opinion, but calling out Unsworth on Twitter, via posting anti Unsworth videos and posts, also sharing some comment about a complaint within OAFC being made about him. He’s highly unprofessional and need removing from OASF. Saying that, OASF have cornered themselves with the statement supporting him, they could use the disclosure of the complaint to get him out of the role he is no longer suited to. 

I think Richard raised a great point. The board do need to come out and provide a plan of what exactly our aim is on the playing side and whether they are going to stick with Unsworth regardless. We started the season with Frank saying we have the players to get out of this league. Granted he was in no position to say that, he may have said it in the moment, however he said it and whether he intended to or not he set expectations. This was then further confirmed when we played Wrexham and in the build up he said we have to succeed given the size of the club ect, fine. 
However, that is not what we are seeing on the pitch. Are we seeing investment in the squad, yeah we absolutely are, but the points or performances are not following, yet. There is a huge disconnect between the boards initial expectations (which may have changed) and the fans expectations. The board between them, need to come up with some statement clearing the situation up. I am firmly in the Unsworth out camp as it stands, though I don’t think it’s helpful or needed that we as fans, boo, sing Sheridan chants, sing anti Unsworth chants. I agree that this only compounds the issue when done at games, though I will openly share my view on a forum such as this. 

The board needs to unite the fans under one objective, because I don’t think we have a clue what to expect given the mixed messages. A simple statement of, it’s not where we want to be, but this year we are fighting for survival with the intention of building a squad to challenge next year. We believe Unsworth is the man, and to support the club and give us time. (Far more articulate than this) 
There is no need for any League 1 in 4 years rubbish, we just need a statement to get behind and believe in for this and next season for now. 

Im afraid if they don’t release something and we continue to lose, as I believe we will, Unsworths time will be up. If you lose the fans, you are fighting an up hill battle, which is very very rarely won. If they want to keep him, back him publicly, give us expectations to judge the man against, and give us as fans an objective to get behind. 

The current situation is not particularly fair on Unsworth, it’s not fair on the fans, and the club will deal with all the emotion from the confusion. 

Like I said, I’m in the Unsworth out camp. But if they provide the statement that is so clearly required to back him with objectives, then I’ll get behind them and the team. Until then, the mess will continue. 

excellent post.

lm not sure how its been for the admin and whats being hidden, deleted etc but l really like how this passionate debate is staying civil. 

clearly there is one bitter, poisonous poster trying to ruin that, but he is just getting ridiculed from all sides and is so obtuse he doesn't even know it. he is probably making the debate more light hearted than it should be with his conflicted view bc there's just no credibility in anything he says.

2 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

And I'm one of the 3...

21 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I thought you wanted to win football matches? 

I do but as I have told you hundreds of times, Henry VIII is going nowhere so no point in getting worked up wanting him sacked. He'll pick up a few wins soon enough, got two piss easy home matches coming up...

2 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

The singing of HTYJS at Solihull was bizarre in the extreme. He's as culpable as anyone for the mess we find ourselves in at the moment...

I don't think he is. Had he been given the financial backing that DU has been given, I think we'd be in a play-off position now under Shez.

We forget Shez's hand was forced in that, under the previous regime, he had to simply acquire the numbers to put a team out - any team. It was shit, but let's not forget he got considerably more (points wise) out of shit than Unsworth has out of better shit.

P.S. I think the singing for him was hypocritical in the extreme - i.e. probably the same people that were saying he was a dinosaur and anyone else would get a better tune out of the squad etc. - how foolish all that now looks.

2 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

If the club follow what you say- (which isn’t unreasonable) they’re affectively saying we’re prepared for things to get a lot worse- possibly even relegation because we back this manager. 

Ok. Let’s say they do that. 

But what happens if he hardly picks up any wins- and he’s 3 wins in 20. Or 4 wins in 25. The pressure will build and build. If we do go down- having been 14th when he took over and had great backing- how on earth could they back him into next season?? 

The club are in a horrible position. They want to back him, but it will become unsustainable if this carries on. 

I really do understand Andy’s point about chopping and changing, but we forget that any new manger is coming to a good club again- with a cracking infrastructure now, and expectations are so low all they need to do is a win a few to buy themselves the time build. Unsy can not and should not get time without winning. 

4 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I do but as I have told you hundreds of times, Henry VIII is going nowhere so no point in getting worked up wanting him sacked. He'll pick up a few wins soon enough, got two piss easy home matches coming up...

😂 Love your posts. 

Especially the almost daily contradictions. 

‘The league is easy- we should be hammering teams.’ 

We lose every week. 

‘I don’t want him sacked.’ 

Which one is it? 

11 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

In line with comments on Twitter calling him a "fat mess"

Do you think calling him Henry VIII is hilarious?

Its not, it makes you a twat

Hes a poor manager, personally insulting him? Grow up

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Not sure you can duck making the necessary decisions now because of what has gone on before.

Absolutely. The hiring and firing of managers doesn’t even make the top ten complaints I had about the Lemsegams…

I’m not sure the majority of fans have an issue with the Trust do they? They seem to be doing ok as far as I see, although I haven’t followed the Twitter thing that closely. The relationship building with the club is perfectly understandable and shrewd.

Pretty sure no one has massive issues with the board either and the structure that’s being put in place or the intentions behind it.

The pivotal position that seems to be letting the whole thing down is the manager. He’s not getting anything out of what he’s got. His tactics are shit - I can’t think of him signing any players that would fit into the system he plays. Both his players and the left overs from Shez look lost and demotivated. Unsworth doesn’t even come with that great a reputation. We’re the first club to take a risk on him over a decade after he’s retired, in spite of his desire to get into management.

I’ll put my owtb reputation points on that the “Grimsby” scenario will never happen!

Just because we think Unsworth is shit, doesn’t mean we’re not pleased with the progress the club is making in other areas. We’re recovering, but Unsworth is taking us backwards, while everything around him is moving forwards.

12 minutes ago, League one forever said:

😂 Love your posts. 

Especially the almost daily contradictions. 

‘The league is easy- we should be hammering teams.’ 

We lose every week. 

‘I don’t want him sacked.’ 

Which one is it? 

All of the above. The league is crap there's not a team we shouldn't beat, with possible exception of the Wrexham Allstars.

No point wasting energy wanting a manager sacked when it's clear to see he's going nowhere. They've given him 3 years and he'll get at least half of that time before they start to question him...

10 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Absolutely. The hiring and firing of managers doesn’t even make the top ten complaints I had about the Lemsegams…

It was only a problem then, because managers who were doing ok were getting sacked for disagreeing with Mo. That was wrong on every level. 

Managers getting the sack because they can’t win, is completely normal and justified.

12 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

In line with comments on Twitter calling him a "fat mess"

Do you think calling him Henry VIII is hilarious?

Its not, it makes you a twat

Hes a poor manager, personally insulting him? Grow up

Not personally insulting him at all, comparing him to a lookalike. Much like calling Steve Lomas "Shaggy" ...

1 minute ago, Lee Sinnott said:

All of the above. The league is crap there's not a team we shouldn't beat, with possible exception of the Wrexham Allstars.

No point wasting energy wanting a manager sacked when it's clear to see he's going nowhere. They've given him 3 years and he'll get at least half of that time before they start to question him...

Forgot to add Notts County...

Archived