BPAS PODCAST: 5th Dec '22, S3:E18: Sorry Hole

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Yes seems like he's doing a great job at Orient, but took some time....

Did OK at Swindon I think, them bombed at Salford and Doncaster before resurrecting Orient!

Yes, won the title at Swindon - that's a bit better than OK, I'd say.  Many managers (as we know) don't win anything in their career.

Was dismissed too early at Salford possibly according to Neville, as mentioned earlier in the thread.  Won a trophy too (albeit he only had to win one game!).

Bombed at Doncaster in his 19 games, but even there his points-to-games ratio is better than what Unsworth's is here!

The signs were there with Wellens (Blackburn at home, Porsmouth away, Northampton at home), but then the Lemsegams started doing their thing.  Just a glimpse of anything like that from Unsworth would give me more confidence in him, even if the majority of other games were as shit as they have been..

The Foundation has been short changed for years in regards to the stakeholding, the club need to build relationships with us, not the other way round.

Allegedly telling one of the more dissenting voices he isn't welcome doesn't seem like a great start...

16 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

The Foundation has been short changed for years in regards to the stakeholding, the club need to build relationships with us, not the other way round.

Allegedly telling one of the more dissenting voices he isn't welcome doesn't seem like a great start...

I suppose it works both ways

I have just enjoyed listening to the phone in, some valid points raised both on behalf of the defence (stick) and prosecution (twist) in the case of The Fan vs Unsworth.

what struck me is that there can be a very articulate point made for either outcome, and debates such as these are all part of the ‘fun’ (1 win in 14, what a great crack!) and circus of the game. It’s not just about the ninety minutes is it?

I also think that whatever your point of view, don’t be swayed by the often vitriolic and always bi-polar dialogue on Twitter. The noise from Social Media is just that. The vast majority of fans make considered views, albeit they might not always agree, and thank goodness for that.

I think the same applies to a bit of booing and singing Shez songs. At Solihull that may have been what 50 of the 600 fans chose to do. Most fans, like me got annoyed by the shambolic twenty minutes, hoped for a miracle when we scored late on, and grumbled to ourselves or one another about the shit we clearly are now in as we left the ground.

The fan base is not divided in my view, just responding in different ways to a common problem, and having different views about what to do about it. Given this, I don’t support Matt’s view that we should stick together and get off the manager and players backs. As Ryan said on the phone in, dealing with fan reaction is all part of the job for players and manager. Moaning and booing and calling out players is not an exclusive behaviour of our fan base.

React how you consider appropriate, back the team in the ground whenever there is hope of securing a point or three, and be balanced in your point  of view of how to make it better. I think this describes the vast majority of our fans.

I’m a stick for now, but the case for the prosecution is beginning to look quite compelling, and the defence needs to present some evidence (wins) quickly. The squad is clearly good enough, and I am concerned because the players do not appear committed enough, and are not making good enough decisions during the game (despite there being so much experience on the pitch). Add to that confusing selection (why invest in talent like Rooney and not play him. Why bin off Fondop when he does make things happen, and to make matters worse why then play Reid on his own. Why bid for more strikers when we need a right back et etc) and his clumsy habit of throwing young players under the bus in post match interviews, and I have to conclude DU has only got a few more winless games left.

16 minutes ago, Andy Barlow’s dietician said:

I have just enjoyed listening to the phone in, some valid points raised both on behalf of the defence (stick) and prosecution (twist) in the case of The Fan vs Unsworth.

what struck me is that there can be a very articulate point made for either outcome, and debates such as these are all part of the ‘fun’ (1 win in 14, what a great crack!) and circus of the game. It’s not just about the ninety minutes is it?

I also think that whatever your point of view, don’t be swayed by the often vitriolic and always bi-polar dialogue on Twitter. The noise from Social Media is just that. The vast majority of fans make considered views, albeit they might not always agree, and thank goodness for that.

I think the same applies to a bit of booing and singing Shez songs. At Solihull that may have been what 50 of the 600 fans chose to do. Most fans, like me got annoyed by the shambolic twenty minutes, hoped for a miracle when we scored late on, and grumbled to ourselves or one another about the shit we clearly are now in as we left the ground.

The fan base is not divided in my view, just responding in different ways to a common problem, and having different views about what to do about it. Given this, I don’t support Matt’s view that we should stick together and get off the manager and players backs. As Ryan said on the phone in, dealing with fan reaction is all part of the job for players and manager. Moaning and booing and calling out players is not an exclusive behaviour of our fan base.

React how you consider appropriate, back the team in the ground whenever there is hope of securing a point or three, and be balanced in your point  of view of how to make it better. I think this describes the vast majority of our fans.

I’m a stick for now, but the case for the prosecution is beginning to look quite compelling, and the defence needs to present some evidence (wins) quickly. The squad is clearly good enough, and I am concerned because the players do not appear committed enough, and are not making good enough decisions during the game (despite there being so much experience on the pitch). Add to that confusing selection (why invest in talent like Rooney and not play him. Why bin off Fondop when he does make things happen, and to make matters worse why then play Reid on his own. Why bid for more strikers when we need a right back et etc) and his clumsy habit of throwing young players under the bus in post match interviews, and I have to conclude DU has only got a few more winless games left.

Top post. 

9 hours ago, Andy Barlow’s dietician said:

Got to agree with all this, although for me Unsworth has moved on to the thinnest of thin ice and anything but a win Sunday will see him gone.

Matt was adamantly 'stick' as "sacking managers doesn't do any good". Towards the end he said that he trusted the owners to do the right thing and feels they're best positioned to make the right call.

If he's sacked this weekend, he'll assumingly be in agreement with the owners and therefore every who's said 'twist' was right. 

18 minutes ago, longtimeblue said:

Matt was adamantly stick as sacking managers doesn't do any good. Towards the end he said that he trusted the owners to do the right thing and feels they're best positioned to make the right call.

If he's sacked this weekend, he'll assumingly be in agreement with the owners and therefore every who's said 'twist' was right. 

In other words if the board told him it was Tuesday today, he'd believe it. He's gone from one extreme to the other, from calling for boycotts, protests and it not affecting results on the pitch, to blowing smoke up the boards arse despite one of his colleagues at OASF being told he's not welcome at any meetings with the club for saying they need to get their head out of the sand.

6 minutes ago, PeteG said:

In other words if the board told him it was Tuesday today, he'd believe it. He's gone from one extreme to the other, from calling for boycotts, protests and it not affecting results on the pitch, to blowing smoke up the boards arse despite one of his colleagues at OASF being told he's not welcome at any meetings with the club for saying they need to get their head out of the sand.

I'll have a go at explaining my position as it may clear things up for you and help you understand other people's actions...

This board have earned my trust for the following reasons:

Motives - their motives for owning the club are fully clear, make sense and have been explained by their future plans for the club and sport in town in general.

Actions - they have invested money in "quick fix" maintenance to help with the day to day running and also to improve the fan match day experience. They have also explained their plans regarding more longer term investment to improve business sustainability. They have invested heavily in coaching structure and playing squad.

When you earn trust, you earn faith in your ability to make decisions in the best interests of the football club. That's where I'm at - I trust the people running the club to make a decision on Unsworth when they see fit. They won't always get their decisions right, but they will be taken with the best of intentions. And not for personal nest feathering unlike some who've been involved more recently.  

Isn't it funny how nest featherers and their lickspittles can't imagine anyone else having honourable motives?

6 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I'll have a go at explaining my position as it may clear things up for you and help you understand other people's actions...

This board have earned my trust for the following reasons:

Motives - their motives for owning the club are fully clear, make sense and have been explained by their future plans for the club and sport in town in general.

Actions - they have invested money in "quick fix" maintenance to help with the day to day running and also to improve the fan match day experience. They have also explained their plans regarding more longer term investment to improve business sustainability. They have invested heavily in coaching structure and playing squad.

When you earn trust, you earn faith in your ability to make decisions in the best interests of the football club. That's where I'm at - I trust the people running the club to make a decision on Unsworth when they see fit. They won't always get their decisions right, but they will be taken with the best of intentions. And not for personal nest feathering unlike some who've been involved more recently.  

Isn't it funny how nest featherers and their lickspittles can't imagine anyone else having honourable motives?

Are you saying the previous owners didn't have the best intentions? There was no financial gain and they funded the club for 4 years. Mistakes a plenty but bad intentions I don't think so and they weren't afforded any time to right the wrongs of the previous ownership.

12 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Are you saying the previous owners didn't have the best intentions? There was no financial gain and they funded the club for 4 years. Mistakes a plenty but bad intentions I don't think so and they weren't afforded any time to right the wrongs of the previous ownership.

Contributing personal funds to the running of the football club is a fairly standard consequence of ownership, not an example of good intentions.

26 minutes ago, PeteG said:

They could have signed a striker last year to keep us up. One of a million things off the top of my head.

7 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Signed Fondop in January didn't they?

Stop trying to defend the indefensible they were a bunch of cunts and if you want to associate yourself with trying to defend them on here you'll start to look like one yourself, now pipe down with you're Abdallah had the best interests of the club at heart because you're coming across as very stupid.

1 hour ago, PeteG said:

Are you saying the previous owners didn't have the best intentions?

Absolutely.

They thought they could farm their shit French 5th division clients through the club, sell them on for a profit, then make a pretty penny for themselves. When it didn’t work, they lost interest and treated the club like a verruca on their foot.

Fuck ‘em.

Archived