MATCH: Torquay United (H) 11/12/22 (Sunday)

2 hours ago, nzlatic said:

I agree France weren't great. But why can't England and Southgate get credit for France's performance not being as good? Why can't it be down to how we played rather than them playing poorly?

Your Wimbledon analogy is exactly the sort of attitude that I believe Southgate is trying to change. We shouldn't be thinking of ourselves as the underdogs out to cause an upset, we should be the Liverpool in that example - the team that people expect to do well.  I think he's gone a long way toward changing those attitudes by us being disappointed by getting beat by the champions in the quarters - not because we want to be the Wimbledon, but because we were the better team and now deserve our place in the last 4 of major tournaments on merit, not one off fighting spirit.

England's style of play has changed over the last 30 years, from a fast, direct style to a controlled possession style finally keeping up with the modern game. In 2016 we couldn't pass the ball against Iceland. In 2018 and 2021 we played well right till the end, but were too cautious and ran out of ideas. This year we kept going and kept looking dangerous all the way, always looking to pass and move forward with positivity.  I think those continued improvements means he deserves a shot at the next one. And I believe that the change of style means we have more of a chance of winning going forward whether he's in charge or not.

Wimbledon finished 5th in the top division that season. Not as a big a surprise as it's always made out to be. 

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Londonboy said:

It's all about opinions init!

Mine is Southgate is an excellent man manager and can bring a squad together as well as anyone, however he's an average coach and tactician on the international stage, and with him in charge England will not reach their potential with the tallent available.

It's a fact that we haven't managed to win against what is considered a top team in any finals outside of England for god knows how long, which shows either we are just not good enough, or the coach isn't.

So we need a brilliant man manager who is a brilliant tactician . Can't name one myself

2 hours ago, longtimeblue said:

Wimbledon finished 5th in the top division that season. Not as a big a surprise as it's always made out to be. 

The top 6 were well clear of the rest that season longtime - Wimbledon finished 7th - a good 9 points behind the Arsenal in 6th but I do get your point - cheers.

9 hours ago, wiseowl said:

The top 6 were well clear of the rest that season longtime - Wimbledon finished 7th - a good 9 points behind the Arsenal in 6th but I do get your point - cheers.

Fair enough. I just grew up believing it to be one of football's miracles... They finished above Spurs that season. It would never be cited as as much of a shock had they won in.

13 hours ago, wiseowl said:

After winning the semi, they W1D4L1 of the remaining 6 league games - somewhat distracted?

35 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

He'd be great for us.

Loves the country, large chunk of his career & success here.

A no brainer for me. 

I see it as a national embarrassment that our three leading team sports have had to resort to overseas coaches so many times 

6 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

Mourinho 

Were Mourinho to show that he could take a small team to the heights, I might agree (leaving aside the fantasy that he would ever manage us).

You can throw Porto at me, but they were a top team in Portugal, and he’s only ever managed big clubs since. Brian Clough, on the other hand, took Derby and Nottingham Forest to the top. 
I’d love to see how Mourinho - or Guardiola for that matter - would get on with a lower league team. Don’t suppose it will ever happen.

• Matt unfeatured this topic

Ok so I have signed up for the half season pass.

Bear in mind this was before I watched the Torquay game.

OMFG, we were dire.

Only Norman, Reid, Rooney and Tollit could have been remotely classed as footballers.

Clarke didn't have much to do, but what he did was OK.

Chapman. Fuck me, and we ripped into Maouche!!!

Connoire Brun was 100 times the footballer he could ever dream of being.

Kitching. See Chapman.

Sheron pretended to football on occasion and Hope never stopped running. Trouble is, that is all he did.

The rest are not worth me getting angry over.

However, Abraham did offer more when he came on.

Reid could be more than a handful when Nuttall plays as long as they are the two of a front two. 

41 minutes ago, L1onheartNew said:

Ok so I have signed up for the half season pass.

Bear in mind this was before I watched the Torquay game.

OMFG, we were dire.

Only Norman, Reid, Rooney and Tollit could have been remotely classed as footballers.

Clarke didn't have much to do, but what he did was OK.

Chapman. Fuck me, and we ripped into Maouche!!!

Connoire Brun was 100 times the footballer he could ever dream of being.

Kitching. See Chapman.

Sheron pretended to football on occasion and Hope never stopped running. Trouble is, that is all he did.

The rest are not worth me getting angry over.

However, Abraham did offer more when he came on.

Reid could be more than a handful when Nuttall plays as long as they are the two of a front two. 

lno you live 12hrs in the future but its 1207 here so we don't know the result yet and lve not even set off don't ruin it ffs

40 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

lno you live 12hrs in the future but its 1207 here so we don't know the result yet and lve not even set off don't ruin it ffs

Great Scott Monty, the flux capacitor can't reach Nottingham yet. 

Having said that, just watched the Notts County v Gateshead game. Marginally better; where County fizz it around midfield like Brazil, then turn into Canada in the final third.

Impressed with Elliot from Gateshead

22 minutes ago, L1onheartNew said:

Great Scott Monty, the flux capacitor can't reach Nottingham yet. 

Having said that, just watched the Notts County v Gateshead game. Marginally better; where County fizz it around midfield like Brazil, then turn into Canada in the final third.

Impressed with Elliot from Gateshead

extra fridge needed

3 hours ago, L1onheartNew said:

On order...

Palmer was head and shoulders above everyone else and ran the whole game.

Will probably spend the game fantasising over him in a blue shirt.

Even their number 24 was always in acres of space doing whatever  he wanted. My conclusion is there"s no heart in most of these players and very little ability...the worst possible combination.

2 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Even their number 24 was always in acres of space doing whatever  he wanted. My conclusion is there"s no heart in most of these players and very little ability...the worst possible combination.

By saying this you are adding credence to Unsworth stating it is not his fault, also, no matter who comes in, if this is the case, a new manager would face the same difficulties.

1 hour ago, Wardie said:

By saying this you are adding credence to Unsworth stating it is not his fault, also, no matter who comes in, if this is the case, a new manager would face the same difficulties.

I mean the vast majority shouldn't he here under a new manager.

Archived