MATCH: Torquay United (H) 11/12/22 (Sunday)

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

Regular readers will know I'm a fan of the glass-half-empty perspective, so the alternative point of view is that on another day we're one behind in the first minute and their defender doesn't have a brain-fart and put the ball into his own net (which was hilarious, by the way..). 

A welcome 3 points, but I'm not sure we can conclude much from the game in terms of overall on-pitch progress.

I don't know why we're trying to get rid of our top scorer, either.  Scunthorpe have done the same.  Is this another modern football craze that I don't get?

Given the difference between how we've been described over the last few games and what I watched on Sunday, I can't see how it isn't huge on pitch progress. Hopefully not a one off!

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I only watched the game on TV but the performance was an improvement on Boreham Wood . I wasn't that impressed with Reid in the previous game but Sunday showed the value in reserving judgment on new players until they find their feet and gain familiarity with team mates. He led the line well and with intelligence on Sunday, probably got better service than at Boreham Wood, and fed off scraps too.

Other posters have remarked on the growing understanding between Kitching and Tollitt and that was a real strength that I hope will continue to develop and grow. 

And what about that goal from Tollitt? An absolute screamer, raised the roof down here in Hertfordshire much to my embarrassment and the chagrin of my neighbours.

Also agree with others that the lack of a defensive midfielder is a glaring absence in the squad. I hope Steve Thompson is scouring the leagues for such a player to give us more steel in the middle of the park and a more effective shield for the defence. Maynard and Sheron can do it but Maynard too slow, Sheron too limited in his passing range.

And there is a lack of pace at centre half, unsurprisingly given their respective ages. I'd like a bit more height too.

But it's nice to focus on potential improvements to a winning side, albeit only one game.  

25 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

I only watched the game on TV but the performance was an improvement on Boreham Wood . I wasn't that impressed with Reid in the previous game but Sunday showed the value in reserving judgment on new players until they find their feet and gain familiarity with team mates. He led the line well and with intelligence on Sunday, probably got better service than at Boreham Wood, and fed off scraps too.

Other posters have remarked on the growing understanding between Kitching and Tollitt and that was a real strength that I hope will continue to develop and grow. 

And what about that goal from Tollitt? An absolute screamer, raised the roof down here in Hertfordshire much to my embarrassment and the chagrin of my neighbours.

Also agree with others that the lack of a defensive midfielder is a glaring absence in the squad. I hope Steve Thompson is scouring the leagues for such a player to give us more steel in the middle of the park and a more effective shield for the defence. Maynard and Sheron can do it but Maynard too slow, Sheron too limited in his passing range.

And there is a lack of pace at centre half, unsurprisingly given their respective ages. I'd like a bit more height too.

But it's nice to focus on potential improvements to a winning side, albeit only one game.  

I expect Sutton will challenging for a start in the new year, he's a good prospect who just needs a bit more time to regain full fitness.

As for ball winners, there's not many good ones about these days and I've seen a lot of games this season.

11 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I expect Sutton will challenging for a start in the new year, he's a good prospect who just needs a bit more time to regain full fitness.

As for ball winners, there's not many good ones about these days and I've seen a lot of games this season.

Can't help thinking Missilou would have been perfectly adequate

23 minutes ago, Careca9 said:

I know but he left us for international friendly when we were right in the mire last year. As a result I’m glad we didn’t sign him up 

Any player who didn't do the same would be a fool. But we've been over this ground. 

He did just catch his left foot, but his right foot, the one he needs to stand on is thrown out behind so he could fall forward.

This is a contact sport. Contact is allowed, as long as the impact doesn’t stop you progressing. 
That was a tickle on his left foot.  

2 minutes ago, Pidge said:

He did just catch his left foot, but his right foot, the one he needs to stand on is thrown out behind so he could fall forward.

This is a contact sport. Contact is allowed, as long as the impact doesn’t stop you progressing. 
That was a tickle on his left foot.  

The ref was fooled but we've seen it throughout the world cup. Astounding.

Just now, redlion said:

The ref was fooled but we've seen it throughout the world cup. Astounding.

Annoying!

I thought VAR would fix this, but even they seem to just be looking for contact. Let’s not mention the World cup. Not sure what VAR are up to there!

3 hours ago, Pidge said:

Annoying!

I thought VAR would fix this, but even they seem to just be looking for contact. Let’s not mention the World cup. Not sure what VAR are up to there!

2 hours ago, disjointed said:

VAR could come up with a different answer to the same scenario on any given day, the principle of VAR is good, the operators and analysts not so. 

Trouble is, they don't seem to be applying any common sense. For instance it's easy to distinguish between a brush of a hand against a face and a right good smack in the gob yet referees and VAR operators seem completely oblivious to real facts and effects and simulations.

Had the most horrendous bout of flu for over a week- so missed only my second game of the season. Typical - we "score" 3 and get three points. Well done Latics and here's hoping it isn't just another "flash in the pan". 

Guest Stanley30
2 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

unless it's against England of course!

Wouldn't have made any difference. Any pen would have probably reached the moon as well

57 minutes ago, Stanley30 said:

Wouldn't have made any difference. Any pen would have probably reached the moon as well

England. I`ve witnessed the hype so many times over the years. Simple fact is we have had very few "world class players" in my lifetime. Gazza, undoubtedly, the pick of the very small bunch. As for the present team - with a central defensive partnership of Stones and Maguire - forget winning anything. Pickford weak too.

Southgate? Safe pair of hands for the FA, of course. A winner? Never in a million years. We live in strange times when reaching a quarter or a semi-final etc. is deemed to be success. Boring, characterless and very predictable. 

5 hours ago, wiseowl said:

England. I`ve witnessed the hype so many times over the years. Simple fact is we have had very few "world class players" in my lifetime. Gazza, undoubtedly, the pick of the very small bunch. As for the present team - with a central defensive partnership of Stones and Maguire - forget winning anything. Pickford weak too.

Southgate? Safe pair of hands for the FA, of course. A winner? Never in a million years. We live in strange times when reaching a quarter or a semi-final etc. is deemed to be success. Boring, characterless and very predictable. 

And yet Stones and Maguire were as a good a central partnership as any other side in the World Cup. 

Archived