MATCH: Torquay United (H) 11/12/22 (Sunday)

9 minutes ago, Stanley30 said:

Well if an arsenal fan says it, then it must be true. Well known for their superior knowledge

I was sat next to a York fan who was ticking grounds. He'd recently seen Scunthorpe v Maidstone and thought they were both dreadful. Also thought Nuttall has2 left feet.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couldn't make the game as was on way home from Glasgow so had to make do with watching it on my phone in the car.

I felt we saw a vague concept of what Unsworth is trying to build and some of our forward play was incisive and showed intent. The new signings he's brought in are clearly of a quality we like to see but we're still some way off a very dangerous unit.

Glaringly obvious is the need for a workhorse CDM. We were left too exposed too often and the goal they scored from open play summed that up. A lot of our problems will be instantly rectified with someone of quality in this position and I'll be amazed if one isn't already identified and in the process of being recruited.

Fondop may be on his way out, but the layoff for our winner was a brilliant parting gift. A ball hit hard to the midriff; too low to chest down and too high to control was dealt with brilliantly to split their defence. I was really impressed with Kitching who has a great engine and although Norman has no shortage of detractors, he pulled off two excellent reaction stops.

If we continue in this vein, and add steel in the middle we'll be getting somewhere. Job done though. Unsworth earned his pudding, chips, peas and gravy with a jumbo sausage while he's waiting tonight. Same again a week Tuesday please.

Today actually reminded of the first years of Joe.  Really entertaining with an attacking threat, but with a lot of defensive weaknesses. 

We need a proper midfield general. We need a bit of pace in CD.  We're getting close. I'd love to sign Timmy and Chapman. Peck is a very promising talent - be nice to sign him for the season. 

Getting closer, and could be a lot more entertaining than one direction Wrexham.

We were well worth the three points yesterday..... none of the head down nonsense from the players when we conceded. I think a right back is the most important next signing. Sheron can and should play the CDM to protect the central defensive pairing. One thing I did notice though is that Torquay were very direct for the most part but when they played to feet they looked far better. Norman, Kitching, Rooney, Tollit all looked assured. The 200 corners in injury time didnt do my ticker any good at all. Repeat performances should see us climb away from the fear zone. 

1 hour ago, andy_b_100 said:

We were well worth the three points yesterday..... none of the head down nonsense from the players when we conceded. I think a right back is the most important next signing. Sheron can and should play the CDM to protect the central defensive pairing. One thing I did notice though is that Torquay were very direct for the most part but when they played to feet they looked far better. Norman, Kitching, Rooney, Tollit all looked assured. The 200 corners in injury time didnt do my ticker any good at all. Repeat performances should see us climb away from the fear zone. 

I agree with this if we get a right back in a similar vein to Kitching so we have that dual threat on either flank. Put Sheron in the middle to do the yard dog duties and then we will start to look like a competitive side at this level 

I watched the game last night then came on here and it doesn't feel like what I saw matches up with a lot of the comments. I thought it was a very positive performance. I thought Reid had a great 1st half, and there was some good link up play with Tollit and Hope in a 3. I do think we might improve if you bring Nuttall in for Hope and Reid starts wider/deeper. Hope is a decent player and works hard, but can slow attacks down as doesn't often look to run at defenders.

Rooney played well, looking to link up with the forwards. Chapman and Peck looked good in spells. Basically we looked a lot more comfortable on the ball compared to when I last saw us.  Still a bit shaky at the back and I'd like to see us with a Kitching equivalent on the right but Sheron was solid enough.

Very nervy at the end but with the run we've been on that is no surprise. Held on though so hopefully we can start repeating this type of perfomance on a regular basis.

Edit - forgot to add that when Fondop and Abraham came on that worked well as well as they had some good link up play. Poor finishing by Fondop. We should have put the game to bed at that point.  But very positive signs of a front 3 working first half and a front 2 working when the subs came on. At least I think they played as a front two!

On another day we score 5 or 6 with the chances we had. 

One thing I cannot and will not understand is the clamour for moving Sheron into CM. Absolutely no chance. He’s extremely limited and is ever so slightly doing a job at RB, but he is one ‘regular’ we need to be looking to replace.

I think we’re a RB and CM short of being truly competitive. CB does still worry me a little (lack of pace for instance).

Going off that performance alone, while we're far from flawless, I'm certain that we have enough quality in the squad to be at least mid-table.  I'm less convinced by Unsworth after how flat-footed we were after the restart, but happy for him that he got a win in an important game for him to stop the rot.

Reid showed his pace and he looks like being a good signing, his link up play was better than expected too.  First half it definitely looked like a front 3 rather than a one up top.  Tollitt was a threat throughout, Kitching offered great support too which clearly took pressure (and defensive responsibility maybe?) away from Tollitt.

I agree with the comments that the midfield 3 need to have an enforcer amongst them (we have a pretty tall but thin team for the most part) but individually I thought they all looked useful and tidy on the ball, so not sure who to drop.

Lack of pace at centre back is an issue, but again I trust both Clarke and Hogan individually.  I'd call it a medium term problem really, I think a midfielder protecting the defence would solve most of our defensive issues.

Sheron was solid but not irreplaceable and Norman made a couple of very good saves and looked good with crosses.

Fondop and Abraham were great options to bring off the bench or rotate in the squad.  Fondop's finishing was poor but his assist was great and he was a proper nuisance.  Abraham's pace, like Reid, is such a good option to have in the squad and hopefully his first league goal will be a massive boost to his confidence.

So Yeovil at home and Torquay at home.  Bet Unsworth can't wait until we play the next South West team at home... 😔

As much as I like a 3 2 win it could easily have gone wrong because our manager, much like the 'wonderful' Southgate in the Euros, was out managed by dear old Gary who made the changes at half time of which Unsworth is incapable, like the 'wonderful' 'he must stay on' Southgate, of making.  He did try to play two up front but kept on telling Timmy to drop back.  The only positive was the end result.  The main negative is he will still be in charge.

Can we beat Peterborough Sports?  Will he play the third team?  Will I go?  Yes, no interest in Worlds after 'H' blasted that penalty over the bar, but only for the beer!

6 minutes ago, old codger said:

As much as I like a 3 2 win it could easily have gone wrong because our manager, much like the 'wonderful' Southgate in the Euros, was out managed by dear old Gary who made the changes at half time of which Unsworth is incapable, like the 'wonderful' 'he must stay on' Southgate, of making.  He did try to play two up front but kept on telling Timmy to drop back.  The only positive was the end result.  The main negative is he will still be in charge.

Can we beat Peterborough Sports?  Will he play the third team?  Will I go?  Yes, no interest in Worlds after 'H' blasted that penalty over the bar, but only for the beer!

It didn't go wrong and if he was outmanaged we wouldn't have won...

26 minutes ago, old codger said:

Thats about as understandable as a Birkett post 

22 hours ago, sjk2008 said:

On another day we score 5 or 6 with the chances we had. 

Regular readers will know I'm a fan of the glass-half-empty perspective, so the alternative point of view is that on another day we're one behind in the first minute and their defender doesn't have a brain-fart and put the ball into his own net (which was hilarious, by the way..). 

A welcome 3 points, but I'm not sure we can conclude much from the game in terms of overall on-pitch progress.

I don't know why we're trying to get rid of our top scorer, either.  Scunthorpe have done the same.  Is this another modern football craze that I don't get?

15 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Regular readers will know I'm a fan of the glass-half-empty perspective, so the alternative point of view is that on another day we're one behind in the first minute and their defender doesn't have a brain-fart and put the ball into his own net (which was hilarious, by the way..). 

A welcome 3 points, but I'm not sure we can conclude much from the game in terms of overall on-pitch progress.

I don't know why we're trying to get rid of our top scorer, either.  Scunthorpe have done the same.  Is this another modern football craze that I don't get?

Our top scorer with 7 goals just signed a contract extension. Reid also has 7 and Nuttall 9, obviously none for us currently. Tollitt, Reid, Nuttall, Abraham all better than Fondop (who I presume you are talking about), and i’d like to think Fondop’s replacement would also be better than Fondop himself. 

Fondop is an handful, and i’m OK with him as a squad player, but he’s a donkey for the main part. 

10 hours ago, old codger said:

🗣hi Kev 

28 minutes ago, JoeP said:

what a save by Norman at the start. still got his detractors, amazingly.

59 minutes ago, JoeP said:

We scored three, Joe - have we looked like doing that before? 

25 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

what a save by Norman at the start. still got his detractors, amazingly.

Indeed. For this level he’s a competent keeper. His handling when coming for crosses and shot stopping is very good. Only time I worry is when he tries to be clever with the ball at his feet (Chesterfield game I think springs to mind).

6 minutes ago, JoeP said:

We certainly scored two - I'm embarrassed to claim that first one as "ours"!

It was a very dangerous cross and whoever it was behind the unfortunate defender might well have finished it anyway.  As it's the first time we've scored two in a league game for nearly two months I'm taking it as a positive with full acknowledgment that it's an improvement from a very low base.

Archived