MATCH: Dorking Wanderers (A) 07/01/23

Why are people thinking/hoping we’ll be attacking tomorrow?? It goes against everything he stands for. 

It’s nailed on-   ‘the system he has stumbled on’ will be a deep lying 442. 

We’re at the point now where we just need wins, so if this works I’m not bothered about the style of play. However I suspect it will go the same way as his other ‘systems’, and we’ll get beat. 

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s such a big game for DU. I feel a lot of people gave him a light ride vs top of league but no doubting these are not great. He kept playing defensive with Everton u-23’s from what someone put on here even when they were in relegation trouble so can’t see anything other than a very defensive minded formation where we sit in shape and don’t press. He needs a draw min and decent performance where we show some attacking creativity and have min 5 shots on goal. Going for 2-1 loss and they still don’t sack him 

Must be mad, but just bought 2 tickets for this. Treating the Mrs to a day trip down south on her 1 weekend a month off. She’s even offered to drive so I can have a beer. Hopefully get to see our 1st away win in over 8 months. 

17 minutes ago, daniel said:

Must be mad, but just bought 2 tickets for this. Treating the Mrs to a day trip down south on her 1 weekend a month off. She’s even offered to drive so I can have a beer. Hopefully get to see our 1st away win in over 8 months. 

Not sure who the bigger mug is 🤣

7 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Those stats…

Dorking:

Not a single league game played where it was 0-0 at halftime 

20 games played where 3 or more goals scored

McShane & Seager have scored 26 goals between them

Latics:

Yet to win away from home

14 games played where 3 or more goals scored

2 goals or more conceded in our last 5 league games

And neither team has come back to win when conceding first…😮

I’m going for 2-2 

0-0 written all over it then 

DU has two big problems. He's got too many players who are alright with their own particular area of strength in their play, but woeful in the area's they haven't. The other, they are just not a team, they are a side of players. Hence why he tries them out of their favoured position looking for the right balance.

It's said many times and recognised by all, the squad is way too big full of shite and needs pruning. It's got to be costing a small fortune. Unfortunately we need yet more players who will balance out the side and perhaps big Dave just might get a fluid attacking team. Alas not in time for Dorking so it's the same as Sunday and hope Dorking miss more chances than they take and a pen for Nuttall. 

Assuming the XI from last week are all fit, the only change I'd make from the start would be Fondop on the bench and Reid (or possibly Abraham) alongside Nuttall in the starting lineup.

I'd keep Peck on the right and Chapman in the middle because I believe that they will both get more of the ball tomorrow than they did against Notts and be more of an attacking threat.  Tollitt is the player in the midfield who is a bit of a wildcard, but playing the 4-4-2 we played gave us a solid shape that we actually looked comfortable in, much more than the 3-5-2's and 4-3-3's earlier in the season.

If Unsworth sets the team out to defend first though and doesn't get the 3 points then, regardless of formation, he should be out of the job.

2 hours ago, Lags said:

DU has two big problems. He's got too many players who are alright with their own particular area of strength in their play, but woeful in the area's they haven't. The other, they are just not a team, they are a side of players. Hence why he tries them out of their favoured position looking for the right balance.

It's said many times and recognised by all, the squad is way too big full of shite and needs pruning. It's got to be costing a small fortune. Unfortunately we need yet more players who will balance out the side and perhaps big Dave just might get a fluid attacking team. Alas not in time for Dorking so it's the same as Sunday and hope Dorking miss more chances than they take and a pen for Nuttall. 

Except there is zero evidence to suggest he wants a fluid attacking team. In fact the opposite is true. He wants to play defensive counter attacking football home and away. 

He is largely to blame for the imbalance of the squad, because he’s had far more money than Shez, and therefore has been able to attract a better standard of player. 

For example- Rooney and Reid are on long contracts and you would think on relatively good wages.  Neither can get in the side. . 

He’s played Sheron at right back for countless games, instead of buying a right back. Meaning we’ve missed his bite and tenacity in midfield for months. . . He have no orthodox right or left winger. He has misspent on some big money contracts, on areas of the side that just weren’t a priority. 

57 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Except there is zero evidence to suggest he wants a fluid attacking team. In fact the opposite is true. He wants to play defensive counter attacking football home and away. 

He is largely to blame for the imbalance of the squad, because he’s had far more money than Shez, and therefore has been able to attract a better standard of player. 

For example- Rooney and Reid are on long contracts and you would think on relatively good wages.  Neither can get in the side. . 

He’s played Sheron at right back for countless games, instead of buying a right back. Meaning we’ve missed his bite and tenacity in midfield for months. . . He have no orthodox right or left winger. He has misspent on some big money contracts, on areas of the side that just weren’t a priority. 

Reid was in the side as little as two games ago. Rooney has started more than he hasn't. One decent game doesn't make Sheron a midfielder. We haven't been playing a system with wingers all season. Strengthening the attack wasn't a priority?

6 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Reid was in the side as little as two games ago. Rooney has started more than he hasn't. One decent game doesn't make Sheron a midfielder. We haven't been playing a system with wingers all season. Strengthening the attack wasn't a priority?

I miss the days when you were good at this. . .😂

We had Abraham, Fondop, Luamba and Rooney (who could play there) he wanted Nuttall. Wouldn’t come. He then gets Reid. Nuttall deal is suddenly back on. The decision should have been sorry- that shipped has sailed. We‘ve signed another striker now,  and I need to spend elsewhere. No. Let’s sign another striker and leave big gaps in the side, and have another needless

big wage sat on the bench. 

Rooney has played all his career as attacking midfielder/forward. Unsy has played him many times as a deep lying midfielder and he’s been shit. Because he’s out of position. . . but we don’t play a system that suits his preferred position. So he doesn’t play, and hasn’t for a while. 

Sheron is a midfielder. He was signed as a midfielder. He played he first game on Saturday in midfield, and played well because he’s a midfielder. 

I’m not going to get involved in the systems debate, because even Unsy doesn’t know what we play. But in football you generally need people to cross the ball from to time and apart from maybe tollit we have no one. 

Other than that you’re spot on. 

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Whether you play counter attack or out and out at them,  you can have a fluid attacking team. 

Archived