MATCH: Southend United (H) 21/01/23 Match Postponed

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm really not looking forward to this. I think the fact that none of us really know what kind of Football Unsworth wants to play just makes it all a bit depressing. I think we'll struggle and things will get a bit toxic from the stands. A relegation battle is looming. 

Hopefully, we get a good performance from the side. 

Not sure if it's supposed to warm up but it's very, very icy around the ground this morning.

Southend looked a good side when we played them in August - Liam Hogan was probably their best player. But it's a home game in the Vauxhall Conference, so I expect us to win...

28 minutes ago, kev1970 said:

You would have thought a decision would be made today save them the trip and expense and also we can find something more entertaining to do.

I hope so and understand there is a pitch inspection today? Uncertainty will only put people off from coming up. 700 went to Gateshead a couple of months ago, 400 to Halifax, yet there's less than 200 tickets sold so far for tomorrow.

2 hours ago, AnthonyOAFC said:

I'm really not looking forward to this. I think the fact that none of us really know what kind of Football Unsworth wants to play just makes it all a bit depressing. I think we'll struggle and things will get ahow competant  bit toxic from the stands. A relegation battle is looming. 

Hopefully, we get a good performance from the side. 

It'll depend on how competent the ref is too. Seen some really bad decisions but poor refereeing on a more consistent basis in the NL. Tomorrow it's Aaron Jackson. He's done 3 Southend games in the NL, 2 draws and a defeat. The defeat was to Boreham Wood where their players were kicking chunks out of our goalie, and they were getting away with it right under his nose. One of those draws was a fiery one away at Chesterfield at which he did alright. Same again against Torquay and (rightly) red carded one of our players. See how he manages tomorrow.

49 minutes ago, Glossop Shrimper said:

It'll depend on how competent the ref is too. Seen some really bad decisions but poor refereeing on a more consistent basis in the NL. Tomorrow it's Aaron Jackson. He's done 3 Southend games in the NL, 2 draws and a defeat. The defeat was to Boreham Wood where their players were kicking chunks out of our goalie, and they were getting away with it right under his nose. One of those draws was a fiery one away at Chesterfield at which he did alright. Same again against Torquay and (rightly) red carded one of our players. See how he manages tomorrow.

How are your boys playing recently? 

Minus 4 tonight in Royton but don't take my word for it.

I said last week my front lawn wasn't playable but the game went ahead. 

My lawn's still frozen but I haven't had the covers on. 

It's clear and cold today and that's the forecast for tomorrow - I can't see it being on but I was wrong last week too.....:peepwall:

Jekyll and Hyde. Bearing in mind we just escaped a winding up petition this (again) week with HMRC not sure how the off pitch shenanigan's will affect the players. Recent wins against Solihull, Boreham Wood and Darlington in the FA Trophy, a draw at home against Altrinham, and defeats to Aldershot and Gateshead. Good defence, I think we're second best in the league. Goals a problem with many out injured or just coming back (ie: Cardwell, Hyde & Murphy). Cardwell will be one to watch in my view, Callum Powell, and Jack Bridge too. Powell, if he plays will cover every blade of grass on the pitch, a work horse and seemingly tireless. Defensively Kasper Lopata will be immense, on loan from Sheffield United last season, liked us and dropped from the Championship to sign a contract. Third choice goalie on loan from Stoke as our first two are injured. He's getting game time and getting alot better. I like him. Will be a tough one, we've learnt the hard way like yourselves that this is a hard league to play in and try and get out of. 

Who are the ones to watch for Oldham? Tollitt is one I seem to see alot on the score sheets, performances seem to be a bit like ours, a thumping over Dorking, a decent draw against Notts County, and Gateshead . . . can't say much as we lost 3-1 too. 

1 hour ago, Millibob said:

Minus 4 tonight in Royton but don't take my word for it.

I said last week my front lawn wasn't playable but the game went ahead. 

My lawn's still frozen but I haven't had the covers on. 

It's clear and cold today and that's the forecast for tomorrow - I can't see it being on but I was wrong last week too.....:peepwall:

Frost covers will be on I presume.

3 hours ago, Glossop Shrimper said:

I hope so and understand there is a pitch inspection today? Uncertainty will only put people off from coming up. 700 went to Gateshead a couple of months ago, 400 to Halifax, yet there's less than 200 tickets sold so far for tomorrow.

You'll be fine you can set off at 1:30 and be there comfortably for kick off even squeeze a prematch pint in :)

3 hours ago, Glossop Shrimper said:

Jekyll and Hyde. Bearing in mind we just escaped a winding up petition this (again) week with HMRC not sure how the off pitch shenanigan's will affect the players. Recent wins against Solihull, Boreham Wood and Darlington in the FA Trophy, a draw at home against Altrinham, and defeats to Aldershot and Gateshead. Good defence, I think we're second best in the league. Goals a problem with many out injured or just coming back (ie: Cardwell, Hyde & Murphy). Cardwell will be one to watch in my view, Callum Powell, and Jack Bridge too. Powell, if he plays will cover every blade of grass on the pitch, a work horse and seemingly tireless. Defensively Kasper Lopata will be immense, on loan from Sheffield United last season, liked us and dropped from the Championship to sign a contract. Third choice goalie on loan from Stoke as our first two are injured. He's getting game time and getting alot better. I like him. Will be a tough one, we've learnt the hard way like yourselves that this is a hard league to play in and try and get out of. 

Who are the ones to watch for Oldham? Tollitt is one I seem to see alot on the score sheets, performances seem to be a bit like ours, a thumping over Dorking, a decent draw against Notts County, and Gateshead . . . can't say much as we lost 3-1 too. 

Fondop has been alright for us this season, in my opinion. Tollitt is a good player, but he can do too much on the ball and give the ball away frequently. Honestly, apart from those two, nobody stands out. We've played so badly in the majority of our games, I can't identify good players. I've not seen much from Nuttall. I've seen absolute zilch from Reid, as Unsworth hardly uses him. 

With Shelton in, I'd start with:

Norman

Yarney

Sutton

Hogan

Kitching

Peck

Sheron

Shelton

Tollitt

Nuttall

Fondop

Solid enough, physical up front and hopefully Tollitt turns up with a bit of magic.  If we do use Reid can Unsworth please play him in a front two?!

38 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Norman

Yarney

Sutton

Hogan

Kitching

Peck

Sheron

Shelton

Tollitt

Nuttall

Fondop

Solid enough, physical up front and hopefully Tollitt turns up with a bit of magic.  If we do use Reid can Unsworth please play him in a front two?!

Sutton is out for a month I understand.

1 hour ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Norman

Yarney

Sutton

Hogan

Kitching

Peck

Sheron

Shelton

Tollitt

Nuttall

Fondop

Not for me after Marc White's low block, rigid 442 comments!! Although saying that, if Southend are very attacking then this might be effective like it was against Notts County and Dorking so could be the way to go.

I'd go for...

Norman

Yarney

Sutton if he isn't injured

Hogan

Kitching

Sheron (holding)

Shelton (box to box)

One of Rooney/Peck/Vaughan (behind the striker)

Reid

Nuttall

Tollit

I’ll be watching this on National League TV as I’m In the Caribbean at the moment - it’s a little too hot for me tbh…

Three things I hope:

1. Whichever eleven start the game, they play with commitment and confidence 

2. David sets us up to play on the front foot

3. The fans get behind the team and the atmosphere does not turn toxic 

The result is important and so is the performance. 

Between the Dorking home game and the New Years Day home game we have lost two thousand home fans 😮

Something has to change before we completely lose the feel good factor that we witnessed just a few months ago 

2 hours ago, nzlatic said:

Not for me after Marc White's low block, rigid 442 comments!! Although saying that, if Southend are very attacking then this might be effective like it was against Notts County and Dorking so could be the way to go.

I'd go for...

Norman

Yarney

Sutton if he isn't injured

Hogan

Kitching

Sheron (holding)

Shelton (box to box)

One of Rooney/Peck/Vaughan (behind the striker)

Reid

Nuttall

Tollit

It’s Southend, we shouldn’t fear them I can’t believe we’re in a situation where Southend are a team to be feared! This needs to be instilled into the players.

41 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I’ll be watching this on National League TV as I’m In the Caribbean at the moment - it’s a little too hot for me tbh…

Three things I hope:

1. Whichever eleven start the game, they play with commitment and confidence 

2. David sets us up to play on the front foot

3. The fans get behind the team and the atmosphere does not turn toxic 

The result is important and so is the performance. 

Between the Dorking home game and the New Years Day home game we have lost two thousand home fans 😮

Something has to change before we completely lose the feel good factor that we witnessed just a few months ago 

We should always be playing on the front foot this is none league!

1 hour ago, latics22 said:

We should always be playing on the front foot this is none league!

With  the strikers we have we should always be playing off the front foot.

At least we can't play as bad as down at Roots Hall!!..Also why are there no pubs for away fans even the ones near the away end.After a 6 hour journey we were not pleased plus none in the ground.which is dropping to bits.

Archived