MATCH: Southend United (H) 21/01/23 Match Postponed

21 minutes ago, LaticsLegend said:

Exactly.

Freezing temperatures always mean the game could be at risk. Not really a surprise, communicated the day before or not.

See 20+ games across the country today called off. Im sure most of them would have called them this morning and not yesterday.

Can see why Southend would be a bit miffed but it's one of those things. Pitch inspection at 9.30 seems fair to me given the circumstances.

I was on the road at 9.30, as would be hundreds of Southend fans. All with no hint that we would be be wasting our time and money. Some mention should have been made yesterday of the situation. Silence from the club just wont do.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, 100milesaway said:

I was on the road at 9.30, as would be hundreds of Southend fans. All with no hint that we would be be wasting our time and money. Some mention should have been made yesterday of the situation. Silence from the club just wont do.

Ye we get it. You're annoyed the club couldn't see into the future

9 minutes ago, 100milesaway said:

It was a polite way of saying that given the weather, it was fairly obvious it was going to be in doubt (as per most other games in the country) without the club having to tell you that.

6 minutes ago, LaticsLegend said:

It was a polite way of saying that given the weather, it was fairly obvious it was going to be in doubt (as per most other games in the country) without the club having to tell you that.

So the first time they need to announce anything about a doubt to a game on the official website Is after it’s been called off?

17 hours ago, JED said:

Same here for a home match in the 80s v Carlisle - I’d come up from Kent. Seemed very quiet when I arrived at 2.30, but this was pre Pinch Me season and our crowds weren’t great so it was always quiet at BP!

As has been said, if this had been called off yesterday there’ll have been plenty saying the decision was taken too soon.

I remember a few years ago going down to Wycombe Wanderers from Oldham and no mention the game was on until about 12 due to heavy snow showers down there.

Me and my mate Dave Moore who I picked up from Manchester  Airport on the way took a chance.Thats sometimes how we fans have to do.

Lower than expected temperatures? The staff at the club should have watched the BBC North West News. They forecast (at 8.30 yesterday morning) that the overnight temperature on Friday night would be -7. Hardly lower than expected is it?

9 hours ago, The Greek said:

Lower than expected temperatures? The staff at the club should have watched the BBC North West News. They forecast (at 8.30 yesterday morning) that the overnight temperature on Friday night would be -7. Hardly lower than expected is it?

Bore off

Many years ago when we played and beat Man City one nil in the fa cup. The stadium was badly damaged by winds prior to the game and it was 50/50 if it was actually going to be on. We were sat in Belfast City airport in the morning of the game deciding do we take a chance and fly over or not. Even ringing the club before hand to check and they said they just don’t know as there was that many different authorities involved in making a decision if the game was going ahead. We took a chance and flew into Manchester airport and to this day I don’t know how the plane landed safely. It wasn’t until we actually arrived in Oldham that the game was announced it was on. Bit different to yesterdays scenario I know but sometimes it’s taken out of the clubs hands. 

Oh and what game it was beating Keegan and co.

11 hours ago, The Greek said:

I suppose our supporters could have done the same !

Clubs are always going to err on the positive side to avoid deterring fans.

It's obviously unfortunate for people travelling distances but the clues were there.

The fact remains that Latics didn't even give anyone a clue. Not one word.

Southend fans were 250 miles away, and other fans were travelling some distance. Did they not deserve some thought. 

The club couldn't be arsed to put the fans in the picture as to what was going on with the pitch, but found time on Friday to inform us that the fans bar would be open. 

2 hours ago, 100milesaway said:

The fact remains that Latics didn't even give anyone a clue. Not one word.

Southend fans were 250 miles away, and other fans were travelling some distance. Did they not deserve some thought. 

The club couldn't be arsed to put the fans in the picture as to what was going on with the pitch, but found time on Friday to inform us that the fans bar would be open. 

You really need to get past this

2 hours ago, 100milesaway said:

The club couldn't be arsed to put the fans in the picture as to what was going on with the pitch, but found time on Friday to inform us that the fans bar would be open

It’s almost as if the club were confident that the game would go ahead.

Faux outrage

The 21st century and its social media have seen an increased display of false or manufactured outrage, with power and prestige being hypocritically sought by professing concern for others, in a highly selective and temporary manner.

Plenty of this going on here. These things happen, move on....... (waiting for pile on)

On 1/21/2023 at 4:54 PM, 100milesaway said:

If you were coming from home ( Darlington way isn’t it?) then a 9.30 start seems early…..

Archived