MATCH: Southend United (H) 21/01/23 Match Postponed

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, True Tic said:

Tin pot trophies and frosty pitches

"That was Tin Pot Trophies and Frost Pitches by Northside eventually played at the right speed, mind you - I'm supposed to be a professional. Next up is Minny Pops in session..."

hqdefault.jpg

On 1/20/2023 at 11:46 AM, Millibob said:

Minus 4 tonight in Royton but don't take my word for it.

I said last week my front lawn wasn't playable but the game went ahead. 

My lawn's still frozen but I haven't had the covers on. 

It's clear and cold today and that's the forecast for tomorrow - I can't see it being on but I was wrong last week too.....:peepwall:

Told you yesterday - what else can I say - anyone want the scores for United Or city - or lottery numbers for tonight??:OASISscarf:

The team travelled up yesterday and stayed overnight and Bolton's ground was earmarked for training. So that will be another few quid we haven't got down the drain! Lots of the lads were already on the road and travelling and some had already made Manchester on the train, but it is what it is, and it's not the first time it's happened to us, nor you guys I expect. What is disappointing is that we will bring a far lesser amount of fans to the game on a Tuesday night, but there you go. And another poxy Saturday afternoon with nothing to do.

The whinging and comments on twitter are painful. Some fans really will have a pop about anything won't they?

About 10 EFL games called off for the same reason today and a few more in the Vanarama.

It's hardly surprising a game being called off for a frozen pitch Ian January at one of the coldest/highest grounds in the country. Chance that it may have been fit for 3pm, but assume the ref had to call it early rather than give it time to allow away fans to turn around/stay at home.

We could really do with shaking off this negative, sniping mindset at this club.

14 minutes ago, Rootshallbloke said:

The team travelled up yesterday and stayed overnight ........ So that will be another few quid we haven't got down the drain!

Lots of the lads were already on the road and travelling and some had already made Manchester on the train, 

What is disappointing is that we will bring a far lesser amount of fans to the game on a Tuesday night,

Edited 5 minutes ago by Rootshallbloke

I think this highlights the tension in the decision process. Postpone it and revenue drops, postpone it late and revenue drops and more expense  and inconvenience incurred.

But if it was called off yesterday and it turned out bright today there would be people moaning.

Doesn't seem unreasonable to have scheduled a 9am inspection though.

At least with today's better connectivity once the decision is announced people find out. Back in the day I drove 3 hours from university to Blackburn for our game only to find a handwritten note in the ticket office window saying 'Game Off'. Nothing on national radio or local radio.

4 minutes ago, Longlostfan said:

Back in the day I drove 3 hours from university to Blackburn for our game only to find a handwritten note in the ticket office window saying 'Game Off'. Nothing on national radio or local radio.

Bastard Rovers innit 

10 minutes ago, LaticsLegend said:

The whinging and comments on twitter are painful. Some fans really will have a pop about anything won't they?

About 10 EFL games called off for the same reason today and a few more in the Vanarama.

It's hardly surprising a game being called off for a frozen pitch Ian January at one of the coldest/highest grounds in the country. Chance that it may have been fit for 3pm, but assume the ref had to call it early rather than give it time to allow away fans to turn around/stay at home.

We could really do with shaking off this negative, sniping mindset at this club.

The fact that it’s called off is no surprise. The issue is that there must have been a doubt yesterday by no mention of it from the club, no precautionary pitch inspection announced until they woke up this morning .

Anyway, it is what it is, but I’ll be pissed off if I’m halfway to Aldershot next week and the same thing happens.

15 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

The fact that it’s called off is no surprise. The issue is that there must have been a doubt yesterday by no mention of it from the club, no precautionary pitch inspection announced until they woke up this morning .

Anyway, it is what it is, but I’ll be pissed off if I’m halfway to Aldershot next week and the same thing happens.

Those I am referring to aren't criticising the timing. They are suggesting it's down to incompetence or an even weirder suggestion that the manager didn't want it on.

Also understand they inspected it yesterday and felt there was a chance they could get it on and informed Southend of this before they left.

Colder temps and more frost than was forecast overnight and a ref has called it unplayable this morning.

6 minutes ago, LaticsLegend said:

Those I am referring to aren't criticising the timing. They are suggesting it's down to incompetence or an even weirder suggestion that the manager didn't want it on.

Also understand they inspected it yesterday and felt there was a chance they could get it on and informed Southend of this before they left.

Colder temps and more frost than was forecast overnight and a ref has called it unplayable this morning.

Fair enough. As I said I’m not surprised it’s off, and the suggestion the pitch isn’t playable is somebody’s fault is crazy

1 hour ago, LaticsLegend said:

It's here for good, unfortunately, as long as social media platform anonymity exists. Shame it's called off, Latics seem to be spending more time not playing than playing, at the moment and it condenses the season, which could be problematic if injuries and suspensions kick-in.

Archived