MATCH: Southend United (H) 21/01/23 Match Postponed

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Steve_R said:

The fact that it’s called off is no surprise. The issue is that there must have been a doubt yesterday by no mention of it from the club, no precautionary pitch inspection announced until they woke up this morning .

Anyway, it is what it is, but I’ll be pissed off if I’m halfway to Aldershot next week and the same thing happens.

They did announce yesterday that there’d be an inspection today

2 hours ago, LaticsLegend said:

The whinging and comments on twitter are painful. Some fans really will have a pop about anything won't they?

About 10 EFL games called off for the same reason today and a few more in the Vanarama.

It's hardly surprising a game being called off for a frozen pitch Ian January at one of the coldest/highest grounds in the country. Chance that it may have been fit for 3pm, but assume the ref had to call it early rather than give it time to allow away fans to turn around/stay at home.

We could really do with shaking off this negative, sniping mindset at this club.

Negative sniping my arse. I have just got home after a 200 miles round trip.

Yes, the weather has been crap, and the forecast not great BUT, there was no mention on the clubs web site that there was even a possibility that the game was in danger. Latics knew that Southend would be travelling up yesterday, and their fans would be be leaving at 8 o clock ish this morning. So why under the circumstances did the fans not get an update yesterday

It's piss poor, and should not be happening. The club should be keeping fans fully up to date, instead of people wasting lots of time and money, making long journeys just to be left gutted at the total lack of information coming from the club. 

I always leave here early, and combine a visit to my daughter and grand kids in Moorside for a couple of hours,  then travel on to the game.

If there had been any hint that there was going to be a pitch inspection I would have cancelled the visit to Moorside, and just left here at midday if all was well regarding the game being on.

Not good enough Latics, you have to do better. Not everone coming to games lives on the doorstep. 

1 hour ago, LaticsPete said:

They did announce yesterday that there’d be an inspection today

They announced this morning that there would be an inspection at 9.30. No announcements yesterday. They did check the pitch yesterday and it was fine. They passed it on to Southend and they travelled up...

3 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

Not on the official site they didn’t. The only reference to the game was asking fans to visit the new bar before the match

You're  right Steve. I must have  looked about 30 times yesterday, and nothing. It's piss poor, and nowhere near good enough. 

The official website should be the 

‘go to’ for all supporters and any important match info should be on there asap!!

The possibility of the need for a pitch inspection should have been highlighted on the site last night at the latest.

The fact there was no indication that a pitch inspection would be needed indicated that the game didn’t appear to be in doubt…….frankly it’s piss poor!!

The official website says it was fine yesterday but that parts of the pitch were frozen this morning after it was colder than expected overnight.  Unless we're calling this lies, I don't see what more they could have done yesterday?

"It's fine now, it should be fine tomorrow, but don't bother coming just in case it isn't"??

3 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

The official website says it was fine yesterday but that parts of the pitch were frozen this morning after it was colder than expected overnight.  Unless we're calling this lies, I don't see what more they could have done yesterday?

"It's fine now, it should be fine tomorrow, but don't bother coming just in case it isn't"??

Exactly.

Freezing temperatures always mean the game could be at risk. Not really a surprise, communicated the day before or not.

See 20+ games across the country today called off. Im sure most of them would have called them this morning and not yesterday.

Can see why Southend would be a bit miffed but it's one of those things. Pitch inspection at 9.30 seems fair to me given the circumstances.

It's unfortunate that it's happened to a fixture where the two teams are geographically a long way apart. I sometimes wonder whether going back to regionalised leagues below a certain level, as with the old Third Division North and South (before my time!), might be worth considering.

I feel sorry for fans who've set out on a long journey in vain, but to be honest what has annoyed me just as much this season has been fixtures moved well in advance where I'd made arrangements around the game, eg hotel bookings, meeting family/friends etc. I know clubs don't go out of their way to deliberately inconvenience fans but it sometimes feels like it!

I'd have pitch maintenance grants distributed throughout the pyramid right down to the grass roots paid for by the premier league billions.  Football should only be at risk of being off in the most extreme circumstances.

3 hours ago, Longlostfan said:

I think this highlights the tension in the decision process. Postpone it and revenue drops, postpone it late and revenue drops and more expense  and inconvenience incurred.

But if it was called off yesterday and it turned out bright today there would be people moaning.

Doesn't seem unreasonable to have scheduled a 9am inspection though.

At least with today's better connectivity once the decision is announced people find out. Back in the day I drove 3 hours from university to Blackburn for our game only to find a handwritten note in the ticket office window saying 'Game Off'. Nothing on national radio or local radio.

Same here for a home match in the 80s v Carlisle - I’d come up from Kent. Seemed very quiet when I arrived at 2.30, but this was pre Pinch Me season and our crowds weren’t great so it was always quiet at BP!

As has been said, if this had been called off yesterday there’ll have been plenty saying the decision was taken too soon.

Archived