Season Tickets 23/24

3 hours ago, Boyyou said:

Bit off topic, I know, but interesting piece on Twitter regarding National League records in sight for the top two teams and players this season.

Also pushing the debate about 3 up 3 down with the EFL.

Only one relegated team in last 7 years has gone straight back up. Grimsby finished sixth last term and up via play offs.

Average wait for relegated team to return is over 4 years.

Those who foolishly call this a binman league are way off the mark. There is little between this and League 2 and, as Pete Wild recently noted, there are some tough sides apart from the obvious top 3/4.

Also heard somewhere that no promoted team had ever gone straight back down. Haven't fact checked (and wouldn't it be so Latics for us to break that streak?).

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Boyyou said:

Bit off topic, I know, but interesting piece on Twitter regarding National League records in sight for the top two teams and players this season.

Also pushing the debate about 3 up 3 down with the EFL.

Only one relegated team in last 7 years has gone straight back up. Grimsby finished sixth last term and up via play offs.

Average wait for relegated team to return is over 4 years.

Those who foolishly call this a binman league are way off the mark. There is little between this and League 2 and, as Pete Wild recently noted, there are some tough sides apart from the obvious top 3/4.

I think part of this could be the 1 automatic and 1 playoff promotion system though

It's harder to get promoted with only 2 spots so generally only the best, most league 2 ready teams will go up

7 hours ago, St92 said:

I think part of this could be the 1 automatic and 1 playoff promotion system though

It's harder to get promoted with only 2 spots so generally only the best, most league 2 ready teams will go up

Don't follow. It would be the best two if it was just two up with no play offs. Grimsby were way off the top two last year but are doing fine in L2

6 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Don't follow. It would be the best two if it was just two up with no play offs. Grimsby were way off the top two last year but are doing fine in L2

On the flip side, Hartlepool have been a stain on the football league since they went up. Even more so since appointing that City bastard...

46 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

16 points above a club that was a basket case (Scunthorpe) and one that ended the season managed by John Sheridan. Hardly inspiring...

and above the clubs that are currently 2nd and 3rd in the table......

12 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

You're using 1 season as a benchmark for the entire system though

I haven't looked up every season individually and I won't be doing either, but I'd say the 1+1 up system means it's generally less likely that a team will do what Grimsby did 

Like I fully expect whoever finishes 2nd out of Notts and Wrexham to win the playoffs

5 minutes ago, St92 said:

You're using 1 season as a benchmark for the entire system though

I haven't looked up every season individually and I won't be doing either, but I'd say the 1+1 up system means it's generally less likely that a team will do what Grimsby did 

Like I fully expect whoever finishes 2nd out of Notts and Wrexham to win the playoffs

I'd guess that Wrexham were very strong favourites to win the play offs last seas, but they didn't. The system definitively reduces the likelihood of the best two teams going up.

• 1 month later...

Club must be having nightmares surrounding releasing details for next season given you'd probably struggle to give them away to some fans at the minute, I've got a feeling they may be going up in some areas but no win in a month or so and no obvious sign of improvement may make them an hard sell.

5 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Club must be having nightmares surrounding releasing details for next season given you'd probably struggle to give them away to some fans at the minute, I've got a feeling they may be going up in some areas but no win in a month or so and no obvious sign of improvement may make them an hard sell.

A win on Friday and we might get an announcement 🤞

Be very surprised if we hear anything before then after Saturdays battering.

Prior to us being a bit of a basket case financially, so when Blitz +/-Gazal were propping us up, when did we release season ticket info?

As I recall back before then in the glory days season ticket info was usually released in the week of the last home game?

Back in the day they used to be announced a week or two before the season’s end, and the discount cut off was usually towards then end of May. Chris Moore was the first one to put them on sale really early, then fucked off with the money once he’d flogged them. Since then the earlier the announcement the more the suspicion as to why, but for a good few years they’ve usually announced the prices by now, probably because we’ve always been skint

19 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Prior to us being a bit of a basket case financially, so when Blitz +/-Gazal were propping us up, when did we release season ticket info?

As I recall back before then in the glory days season ticket info was usually released in the week of the last home game?

Wasn't it mentioned last week that they're pretty much good to go with ST prices being released? They'll wait till we get 6 points over Easter and announce them next week...

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Regardless of us having yet another disappointing season, if we want to see the club progress then we’ve got to commit to buying one!

We finally have our club back and its in a far better place than it has been for over 25 years.

This is our club and we will be here long after Unsworth has gone….next season we will know for sure whether or not he’s the man that can.

If he’s not then we move on without him!

We’ve waited so so long for competent owners, IMO, now we have them, we must back them 100%!!

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Wasn't it mentioned last week that they're pretty much good to go with ST prices being released? They'll wait till we get 6 points over Easter and announce them next week...

Is that another albeit disguised prediction of yours?😂😂

34 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Regardless of us having yet another disappointing season, if we want to see the club progress then we’ve got to commit to buying one!

We finally have our club back and its in a far better place than it has been for over 25 years.

This is our club and we will be here long after Unsworth has gone….next season we will know for sure whether or not he’s the man that can.

If he’s not then we move on without him!

We’ve waited so so long for competent owners, IMO, now we have them, we must back them 100%!!

Couldn't agree with this more. Surely lots of reasons for optimism about next season? A shame if people base their decision on the most recent result. A "top 6" budget demands a realistic tilt at the play offs. This squad plus 8/9 additions, I'm pretty sure that's what we'll get. Although I do think the target should be top 2, possibly even champions. 

Issues with Unsworth aside, I would encourage every supporter to purchase a season ticket if financially possible. 

Frank and his family saved our club, paid and are investing above and beyond in my opinion. As a fan base the least we can do is repay that faith in us by backing them. 

Appreciate as fans we want winning football, but the only way we can achieve that is if we back the club as one. 

Some lovely sentiment on here but unfortunately there will be some who won't buy or renew, I'll probably give it another season but suspect the season will be over before it starts with our current management team which could mean we are having the same conversations when Unsworth goes next season, I find it strange Unsworth can call out 9 of the current squad telling us they wont be involved next season and they ain't up to it but he seems almost immune from any blame despite bringing much of the current crop in and not appearing to be up to it himself.

One thing the players have done since the new year is dug in, do we think there's any correlation between his appearance at the fans forum and the players going AWOL in North Wales, I'd probably struggle to get my workforce to do anything if I publically announced 80% of them were shit and going to be replaced.

20 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Some lovely sentiment on here but unfortunately there will be some who won't buy or renew, I'll probably give it another season but suspect the season will be over before it starts with our current management team which could mean we are having the same conversations when Unsworth goes next season, I find it strange Unsworth can call out 9 of the current squad telling us they wont be involved next season and they ain't up to it but he seems almost immune from any blame despite bringing much of the current crop in and not appearing to be up to it himself.

One thing the players have done since the new year is dug in, do we think there's any correlation between his appearance at the fans forum and the players going AWOL in North Wales, I'd probably struggle to get my workforce to do anything if I publically announced 80% of them were shit and going to be replaced.

I think you have taken the 8-9 new signings out of context. Considering it’s obvious most of those not making the squad are surplus to requirement and the strategy of reducing the amount of loan players. It’s is clear we will need 8-9 new signings to have a squad. 

37 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

do we think there's any correlation between his appearance at the fans forum and the players going AWOL in North Wales, I'd probably struggle to get my workforce to do anything if I publically announced 80% of them were shit and going to be replaced.

Yes.

26 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I think you have taken the 8-9 new signings out of context. Considering it’s obvious most of those not making the squad are surplus to requirement and the strategy of reducing the amount of loan players. It’s is clear we will need 8-9 new signings to have a squad. 

Fair point but I think he made it clear the 8 or 9 coming in were not going to be squad fillers, I suppose they can read it as they want but it looks ominous for a few and I include starters in that, not sure what the game is with Norman if he's fit he should be playing it's as simple as that, any team should have one No 1 it's not a role that can be shared particularly in a team as fragile as ours.

5 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Fair point but I think he made it clear the 8 or 9 coming in were not going to be squad fillers, I suppose they can read it as they want but it looks ominous for a few and I include starters in that, not sure what the game is with Norman if he's fit he should be playing it's as simple as that, any team should have one No 1 it's not a role that can be shared particularly in a team as fragile as ours.

Well the players should be grateful for the help of an additional 8-9 quality players. We are currently 15th in the National League so they should know themselves that’s not good enough. It would be pretty strange to sign 8-9 squad fillers given our position. The current players should be looking to improve to keep the future additions out of the side. That’s life, and is the same in any job. 

Agree Norman should be playing if fit. I suspect Wrexham came slightly too soon for him and he will be back in net over Easter. That and the fact Hudson was absolute dross at Wrexham. 

Archived