Season Tickets 23/24

Personally, I will be renewing my season ticket as long as Frank Rothwell is chairman of Oldham Athletic. I am forever in debt to the man who I believe saved the club from the brink of extinction. He is not only the best thing to happen to our club in a long time but he is also doing a great service for the whole town. See you next season.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

This time in 12 months the 2 scenarios will play out.

1. We are in the top 7 challenging for promotion with or without David Unsworth.

2. We won't be in the top 7 and David Unsworth will definitely not be Oldham's manager.

So the logic that someone shouldn't buy a season ticket based on David Unsworth being the manager is flawed he could quite easily(probably will be) sacked in SeptemberOctober time certainly if we make a poor start.

Also and this a bigger thing here. We are probably going to finish this season between 12th-17th in the National League. That is not going to be our reality from now on. The plan is only just getting started we are going to be fighting from next season onwards to get back in the football league and we will get back in the football league. When we do we won't stop there we will keep climbing the leagues. It is going to happen. People not seeing this are not looking at the bigger picture.

I mean the even bigger picture is that we have only had a couple of half-decent seasons in the last 30 years and we're a fanbase scorn by false-dawns.

All the cogs are in place apart from one pretty crucial one, in many peoples opinion.  I've got a season-ticket but I cannot be arsed going tomorrow.  It is boring and dreadful to watch, even on the odd occasion when it's successful.

I'm going to renew next season because I back the board and I appreciate the brilliant things that they've done off the field for the club, but I fully empathise with people who don't want to part with their hard-earned to watch more of the same.  Being better next season on the pitch is just a theory - the evidence from how quickly the team is progressing is that it won't be.  If it's more of the same next season, yet Unsworth keeps his job I will 100% not be renewing the season after.

I also don't think wanting Unsworth out is being negative, for what it's worth.  It's realising that as a club we have healed massively since Frank et al took over and that on field progress should be matching it.  Nowt wrong with a bit of expectation...

17 minutes ago, OLDHAMFAN2148 said:

Personally, I will be renewing my season ticket as long as Frank Rothwell is chairman of Oldham Athletic. I am forever in debt to the man who I believe saved the club from the brink of extinction. He is not only the best thing to happen to our club in a long time but he is also doing a great service for the whole town. See you next season.

Absolutely, same here

12 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

This time in 12 months the 2 scenarios will play out.

1. We are in the top 7 challenging for promotion with or without David Unsworth.

2. We won't be in the top 7 and David Unsworth will definitely not be Oldham's manager.

So the logic that someone shouldn't buy a season ticket based on David Unsworth being the manager is flawed he could quite easily(probably will be) sacked in SeptemberOctober time certainly if we make a poor start.

Also and this a bigger thing here. We are probably going to finish this season between 12th-17th in the National League. That is not going to be our reality from now on. The plan is only just getting started we are going to be fighting from next season onwards to get back in the football league and we will get back in the football league. When we do we won't stop there we will keep climbing the leagues. It is going to happen. People not seeing this are not looking at the bigger picture.

I’ll be renewing anyway as I always do, but it might not be as black and white as you say. I really hope the aim next season is an all out promotion push, and if so the target should be win the league, as that’s the only certain way of achieving it.

if the aim is top seven/playoffs, then if we’re in the top ten or so going into the new year, we won’t far off the play offs. For me that won’t do, but it might for the board, thinking a second half of the season push could have us in there. If the time comes when even that doesn’t look on, it’ll be another season wasted.

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

I mean the even bigger picture is that we have only had a couple of half-decent seasons in the last 30 years and we're a fanbase scorn by false-dawns.

All the cogs are in place apart from one pretty crucial one, in many peoples opinion.  I've got a season-ticket but I cannot be arsed going tomorrow.  It is boring and dreadful to watch, even on the odd occasion when it's successful.

I'm going to renew next season because I back the board and I appreciate the brilliant things that they've done off the field for the club, but I fully empathise with people who don't want to part with their hard-earned to watch more of the same.  Being better next season on the pitch is just a theory - the evidence from how quickly the team is progressing is that it won't be.  If it's more of the same next season, yet Unsworth keeps his job I will 100% not be renewing the season after.

I also don't think wanting Unsworth out is being negative, for what it's worth.  It's realising that as a club we have healed massively since Frank et al took over and that on field progress should be matching it.  Nowt wrong with a bit of expectation...

It won't be the same as this season and if it is the same Unsworth won't have a job the Rothwells won't put up with it the crowd won't put up with it. He.will.be.gone.

The Royles might well be close to him and will support him as much as possible, but they have been in football long enough to understand that if we don't get results the manager will be sacked.

1 hour ago, Steve_R said:

I’ll be renewing anyway as I always do, but it might not be as black and white as you say. I really hope the aim next season is an all out promotion push, and if so the target should be win the league, as that’s the only certain way of achieving it.

if the aim is top seven/playoffs, then if we’re in the top ten or so going into the new year, we won’t far off the play offs. For me that won’t do, but it might for the board, thinking a second half of the season push could have us in there. If the time comes when even that doesn’t look on, it’ll be another season wasted.

Ofcourse the aim is promotion what do you think is going to happen do you honestly think they are not going to take it if its on offer. That we will get to the play offs do a lap of honour say job done throw the kids in for the play off games while the 1st team goes on holiday.

9 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

It won't be the same as this season and if it is the same Unsworth won't have a job the Rothwells won't put up with it the crowd won't put up with it. He.will.be.gone.

The Royles might well be close to him and will support him as much as possible, but they have been in football long enough to understand that if we don't get results the manager will be sacked.

Exactly. Just because they’ve been loyal to him this season it doesn’t mean that loyalty is indefinite and unconditional.

The plans they’ve outlined are not achievable if we stay in non league for years on end. I’m confident the board will do what is necessary. 

12 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Exactly. Just because they’ve been loyal to him this season it doesn’t mean that loyalty is indefinite and unconditional.

The plans they’ve outlined are not achievable if we stay in non league for years on end. I’m confident the board will do what is necessary. 

The way people talk you would think Darren Royle got into this to give his mate a job. Nothing could be further from the truth, yes Unsworth is his man and he is supporting him as much as possible, but Darren Royle got into this because he cares about the club and wants it to succeed and he will understand if we have to sack Mr Unsworth.

31 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I mean it's a great theory, but that's all it is and it goes against all evidence that we've seen so far.  Unsworth's been under pressure from the crowd for periods of this season and the board haven't acted (arguably to their credit..) and we haven't seen anything on the pitch to say next year will be different.  If he plays the same system, I don't think it'll be possible to sign the players to make it interesting to watch.

There's a misconception that our fans thought we should win the league this season.  I haven't heard anyone say that - we are about where everyone expected to be, but what the majority wanted was seeing something to give hope for next season - something to get excited about on the pitch - and we haven't seen it.  It's not down to Frank and the board - they've been unbelievable - so it must be someone else.  Arguably the players, but he's been backed to at least get us somewhere near something to get excited about (after the "getting the best out of what we've got" idea fell by the wayside), but we're not there...

6 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I mean it's a great theory, but that's all it is and it goes against all evidence that we've seen so far.  Unsworth's been under pressure from the crowd for periods of this season and the board haven't acted (arguably to their credit..) and we haven't seen anything on the pitch to say next year will be different.  If he plays the same system, I don't think it'll be possible to sign the players to make it interesting to watch.

There's a misconception that our fans thought we should win the league this season.  I haven't heard anyone say that - we are about where everyone expected to be, but what the majority wanted was seeing something to give hope for next season - something to get excited about on the pitch - and we haven't seen it.  It's not down to Frank and the board - they've been unbelievable - so it must be someone else.  Arguably the players, but he's been backed to at least get us somewhere near something to get excited about (after the "getting the best out of what we've got" idea fell by the wayside), but we're not there...

So you really think if 12 months on from now we are sat 15th in the National League David Unsworth will still have a job as Oldham Athletic mamager?

10 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

So you really think if 12 months on from now we are sat 15th in the National League David Unsworth will still have a job as Oldham Athletic mamager?

I think there's a stronger chance than you obviously do...

14 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I think there's a stronger chance than you obviously think...

Bookmarked. Let's see where we are in 12 months time then.

So you are assuming that, The Rothwells are just going to happily let David Unsworth piss their money up the wall this summer regardless of results and not expect somekind of footballing return? That's a bizarre theory. You must have a very dim view of our board of directors then. 

4 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Bookmarked. Let's see where we are in 12 months time then.

So you are assuming that Rothwells are just going to happily let David Unsworth piss their money up the wall this summer regardless of results and not expect somekind of footballing return? You must have a very dim view of our board of directors then. 

Well, no - I've already said that I think they've done an unbelievable job.

I do however feel that Unsworth might be given (even) more time than he should in the name of a "long-term project" that shows negligible improvement..

1 minute ago, JoeP said:

Well, no - I've already said that I think they've done an unbelievable job.

I do however feel that Unsworth might be given (even) more time than he should in the name of a "long-term project" that shows negligible improvement..

You have a dim view of them if you think they will let the manager get away with a 15th place finish on a top 7 budget 2 years in row.

4 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

You have a dim view of them if you think they will let the manager get away with a 15th place finish on a top 7 budget 2 years in row.

Nope - not that black and white. I'll repeat - they've done an unbelievable job. Transformed the club off the pitch and backed their manager admirably. 

No dim view there. 

I don't know if they'll sack him for finishing 15th next year. Neither do you.  But I empathise with those who see the fact we'll be going into next season with him in charge as a reason to be put off buying a season ticket..

5 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Nope - not that black and white. I'll repeat - they've done an unbelievable job. Transformed the club off the pitch and backed their manager admirably. 

No dim view there. 

I don't know if they'll sack him for finishing 15th next year. Neither do you.  But I empathise with those who see the fact we'll be going into next season with him in charge as a reason to be put off buying a season ticket..

I'll try again for the last time because it's getting late.

If you or anyoneelse think that the Rothwells, the Royles and the rest of the board will allow David Unsworth to get away will finishing 15th next season on a top 7 budget you are holding a pretty low opinion of them. Because that would be weak leadership on their part because he should be 100% sacked if thats the case. We will have gone from one extreme of being far too trigger happy with managers to the other and giving them literally a free reign.

Ahhhh- the old- ‘must not criticise anything about the club’ from the usual suspects. 

It never ceases to me how people can’t separate being eternally grateful to Frank - but still be able to be objective. 

There is nothing to suggest that Unsworth will do anything next season. Other than pure hope that better players will make him a better manager. While they will obviously improve us a bit- his shortcomings will still be there. As this this season obviously proves. . . 

There is everything to suggest that marginal improvements next season (down to better players, not management) will be enough for our board. IE- if we finish 15th this season, and 10-12th next season I am absolutely convinced he’ll see out his contact- all in the name of building of something. . . 

Unsworth is the luckiest manager in the top five divisions bar none. He has fantastic owners who demand very little. It’s a great gig. 

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Ahhhh- the old- ‘must not criticise anything about the club’ from the usual suspects. 

It never ceases to me how people can’t separate being eternally grateful to Frank - but still be able to be objective. 

There is nothing to suggest that Unsworth will do anything next season. Other than pure hope that better players will make him a better manager. While they will obviously improve us a bit- his shortcomings will still be there. As this this season obviously proves. . . 

There is everything to suggest that marginal improvements next season (down to better players, not management) will be enough for our board. IE- if we finish 15th this season, and 10-12th next season I am absolutely convinced he’ll see out his contact- all in the name of building of something. . . 

Unsworth is the luckiest manager in the top five divisions bar none. He has fantastic owners who demand very little. It’s a great gig. 

Well said.

6 hours ago, League one forever said:

That's because the tails wagging the dog, Unsworth would have you believe that we should be indebted to him and not the Rothwells, who could argue?, look at what he's built 👏👏👏

7 hours ago, League one forever said:

It's utterly bizarre, isn't it?

You don't think Unsworth's the man for the job, therefore you MUST hate the board and be breeding negativity.

I've already said I'm going to buy a season ticket next season because I back the board, but question Unsworth and all of a sudden I'm sent to the naughty corner!  I can 100% see why some people won't buy a season ticket (during a time when times are tough financially - but that's another issue..) based on what they've seen on the pitch so far. 

Our fans ahead of most others should know it's OK to question anything - everything even - and not just blindly back everything the board do, however competent we think they are.

8 hours ago, JoeP said:

I don't know if they'll sack him for finishing 15th next year. Neither do you. 

There is everything to suggest that marginal improvements next season (down to better players, not management) will be enough for our board.  .

I believe that, if we finish 15th next season, he will be sacked.

I do not see anything to suggest that marginal improvements next season will keep him in a job.

9 hours ago, JoeP said:

If he plays the same system, I don't think it'll be possible to sign the players to make it interesting to watch.

Is he not playing the system(s) he plays due to the rank hand he’s got since he took over? Personally (and I know you don’t share the same opinion) I see he’s had to overhaul a team with a midfield that’s soft as shite, mid-season, in a division that’s notorious for teams high pressing and turn us into something that we can at least be equipped to compete with that. It’s not an easy task, particularly for someone with no managerial experience.

I would suggest his tactics will evolve next season, boosted by several players of proper quality who can play a high pressing game. I certainly don’t expect “more of the same” but I am prepared to expect it won’t be sweet roses every week. I’m also prepared to empathise slightly with DU for this season. He needed to make us harder to beat and that clearly came at the expense of pleasing on the eye football.

He has fantastic owners who demand very little. It’s a great gig. 

Couldn’t be further from the truth this. You honestly believe a local businessman has come in, paid a small fortune to buy the club “lock, stock” and they don’t demand much?

Archived