MATCH: Woking (H) 07/03/23

Felt like we were watching the most ‘National League’ National League game ever, but more than happy to come away with an injury time winner. I certainly didn’t see Sheron scoring the winner with his head against a team of giants.

Thought we were unlucky not to go into the break one, if not two up, and I’ve no idea how Woking are third in the league. Granted they were missing a couple, but it shows what being consistent can do at this level.

The large ironic cheers at Nuttall coming off not necessarily helpful. 

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

A bit harsh @League one forever - we competed well against a big but fairly one dimensional team - we played some good football in pockets but were forced to defend a high ball assault for a lot of the game. Their number 16, Nwabuokei, found too much space and was a handful.

I didn’t think that the game was as bad as some are making out - it was a typical National League game on a poor pitch.

Nuttall, for all his criticism, was better in brief moments - his problem for me is application - he needs to bring a higher intensity to his play. If he does then his hold up play will improve.

Having said that, Fondop, despite a couple of reckless passes, brought more urgency to our attacking play when he came on.

Not a single booking for us (Shelton got away with one) was a good sign too.

This was a night when Unsworth got his tactics right and the team worked extremely hard.

And winning the game in the 92nd minute was oh so sweet 😃

The performance of the players was good, they are clearly working hard. 

I just didn’t enjoy the game. 

I loved the result though. 

10 hours ago, Handsy said:

Well I’m obviously in the minority here but  I enjoyed that  Rooney and Reid  put their chances away first half  and it’s a comfortable win against 3rd in the league. Magnus wasn’t troubled apart from one shot  that he dealt with. The three centre backs  played well kitching was steady  Sutton lost as a wing back hasn’t got the composure in forward positions that’s needed. But defensively ok   Shelton worst of midfield three tonight Rooney had a good game Sheron MOM for me .thought Nuttall was better  than of late  and Reid run himself into ground  fondop  did ok when he came on   A pleasing result and a deserved win 

Fondop did OK when he came on? Fondop changed the game when he came on! He introduced guile and strength to a feeble front line. He held the ball up and laid it off. He injected enthusiasm into a tiring team, and at the end led the celebrations at the Rocky Road end. Someone needs to tell Unsworth about him.

7 minutes ago, The Greek said:

Fondop did OK when he came on? Fondop changed the game when he came on! He introduced guile and strength to a feeble front line. He held the ball up and laid it off. He injected enthusiasm into a tiring team, and at the end led the celebrations at the Rocky Road end. Someone needs to tell Unsworth about him.

He also gave the ball away with sloppy passes multiple times, which if Nuttall had done he would have been highly criticised. 
For what it’s worth I do think Fondop currently offers more, but I also see Fondop’s best work off the bench. He’s an explosive player, who plays on the edge, and he hasn’t got 90 mins in him playing like that. 

2 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Well, we are back to 14th, where we were when Shez left and Unsworth took over. Onwards and upwards, hopefully.

David deserves unlimited credit for being here 6 months, spending a load of money and taking us from 14th to 14th...

I watched the last five mins in a traffic jam on my way to work. Hadn't moved for 10 mins. Phone on the dash. When Sheron scored, I punched the air and screamed get in there. I hit the inside of my windows frame with my fist and my vape went flying out the car. I got out to pick it up and saw my mate a few cars back. I gave him another fist pump and he did the clap chant on his car horn

When it got to the Oldham part at the end, four or five other cars did the last two beeps. It was like the Ullah cry in war of the worlds. 

I got a pineapple for being late, but the whole experience made it bearable!

2 minutes ago, L1onheartNew said:

I watched the last five mins in a traffic jam on my way to work. Hadn't moved for 10 mins. Phone on the dash. When Sheron scored, I punched the air and screamed get in there. I hit the inside of my windows frame with my fist and my vape went flying out the car. I got out to pick it up and saw my mate a few cars back. I gave him another fist pump and he did the clap chant on his car horn

When it got to the Oldham part at the end, four or five other cars did the last two beeps. It was like the Ullah cry in war of the worlds. 

I got a pineapple for being late, but the whole experience made it bearable!

Superb work. 👏🏻😂

30 minutes ago, daniel said:

He also gave the ball away with sloppy passes multiple times, which if Nuttall had done he would have been highly criticised. 
For what it’s worth I do think Fondop currently offers more, but I also see Fondop’s best work off the bench. He’s an explosive player, who plays on the edge, and he hasn’t got 90 mins in him playing like that. 

I agree with this. It's the benefit of having depth to the squad.  I think some folk seem to think we should have a great 11 and just stick to that every week. It's not how it works. It makes a very refreshing change having players on the bench that can come on and make a difference.  It doesn't always mean that if you played them from the start then you'd have had that impact over 90 minutes. In fact it probably very rarely means that.

34 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

David deserves unlimited credit for being here 6 months, spending a load of money and taking us from 14th to 14th...

You've been on form lately. That's up there with your comment about him talking shit win, lose or draw! 😆👏

To be fair, while it's not pretty to watch, he's now got the best league win % since Kewell!

On the subject of off field improvements,any chance of moving the camera position, its hard to get a proper perspective as its too close and too low down (and jerky sometimes)

Roy's audio equipment is a separate issue !!!

3 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Change that to second half and you could be talking about Reid. What has Reid done? Ah, he runs more...

You really are flogging a dead horse comparing the two at present.

To say Reid "runs more" just highlights how little energy and effort Nuttall is showing. It may well be that's just the way he plays and has other qualities but currently they're chalk and cheese with regard to affecting the game.

I certainly haven't given up on Nuttall and would start him over Fondop but the difference in intent and atmosphere when Fondop replaces Nuttall is immense. We definitely step up a gear.

Reid has his faults, has no right foot as evidenced when clean through second half ( albeit at a tight angle so not comparable with Nuttall first half ) but is well worth his starting spot and hopefully will forge a successful partnership with one ( or both ) of the big men up front.

Just now, rossy52 said:

On the subject of off field improvements,any chance of moving the camera position, its hard to get a proper perspective as its too close and too low down (and jerky sometimes)

Noticed that recent highlights shown by an away club ( may have been Maidstone ) were from a position nearer the Chaddy End and slightly more elevated.

It beggars belief that provision was not made in the Joe Royle. 

Good win last night, massive improvement on Woking away which we walked out of 10 minutes into the second half. We had 3 or 4 gilt edged chances and there was some good performances. I thought Rooney, Varney and Sheron in particular had good matches. Think Peter Clarkes mum and Dad must have chosen the MOM 😀.If we hopefully get rid of Wrexham and Notts County and can improve next season there will be nothing for me to fear in this division.
PS thanks to our last minute winner last night my train fare to Eastleigh is now covered 😀😀😀😀 ££££s

12 minutes ago, rossy52 said:

I appreciate if its on the to do list it's probably quite far down but I'd love them to sort out a permanent camera position high up. It feels so tinpot that we have to have it about 6ft off the ground now.

46 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

You really are flogging a dead horse comparing the two at present.

To say Reid "runs more" just highlights how little energy and effort Nuttall is showing. It may well be that's just the way he plays and has other qualities but currently they're chalk and cheese with regard to affecting the game.

I certainly haven't given up on Nuttall and would start him over Fondop but the difference in intent and atmosphere when Fondop replaces Nuttall is immense. We definitely step up a gear.

Reid has his faults, has no right foot as evidenced when clean through second half ( albeit at a tight angle so not comparable with Nuttall first half ) but is well worth his starting spot and hopefully will forge a successful partnership with one ( or both ) of the big men up front.

I sometimes wonder if he really didn't want to come here. Given that we paid a fee for him and Scunny were so desperate for cash I wonder if they "persuaded" him to move.

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

I agree with this. It's the benefit of having depth to the squad.  I think some folk seem to think we should have a great 11 and just stick to that every week. It's not how it works. It makes a very refreshing change having players on the bench that can come on and make a difference.  It doesn't always mean that if you played them from the start then you'd have had that impact over 90 minutes. In fact it probably very rarely means that.

We have yet to see if Nuttall can make an impact from the bench. Let's see if

he can.

4 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

We have yet to see if Nuttall can make an impact from the bench. Let's see if

he can.

Not against that. I think he's struggling, I'm just not convinced that it's because he's lazy or shit. It might be that he needs a rest, he's played a lot of games. It would also help if fans would get off his back and cut out the cheering when his number comes up on the sub board.

37 minutes ago, redlion said:

I sometimes wonder if he really didn't want to come here. Given that we paid a fee for him and Scunny were so desperate for cash I wonder if they "persuaded" him to move.

Aye, I’ve thought similar. 

He wouldn’t be the first player to have an ego his ability doesn’t match. 

2 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

You've been on form lately. That's up there with your comment about him talking shit win, lose or draw! 😆👏

To be fair, while it's not pretty to watch, he's now got the best league win % since Kewell!

Curle, Benachour and Sheri are hardly a benchmark...

Archived