MATCH: Woking (H) 07/03/23

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unsy has worked out a way to beat sides who come at us and full credit for doing so. It was a pretty grim game, second half especially and our movement off the ball is so poor. However we battled again and I think, on balance, got what we deserved.

Getting Rooney on the ball more in the final third is surely key to us progressing, particularly against the sides who are happy to sit in. No more sticking him on the wing please, get him in the middle where he can affect things. 

I think Nuttall should be doing a lot more but, as above, he’s clearly become the new boo boy and the sarcastic cheering really is unhelpful. Fondop came on and was his usual exuberant self but if Nuttall had misplaced a couple of the passes that Fondop did, he’d have been crucified for it 

9 minutes ago, League one forever said:

We are getting much better at battling, that isn’t in question. Unsy deserves credit for that. 

We are not in my view getting any better at playing football, and nor will we under Unsy- this is his style. We see it time and time again. The only difference is he he’s now got better players and a settled side. 

But- it’s producing results, which is the ultimate currency. 

The winning goal came from a passing build up and Sheron making a run into the box. That’s our holding midfielder scoring from 6 yards out in injury time against 3rd in the league. We weren’t anywhere near that positive a couple of months ago. 

2 minutes ago, Handsy said:

Well I’m obviously in the minority here but  I enjoyed that  Rooney and Reid  put their chances away first half  and it’s a comfortable win against 3rd in the league. Magnus wasn’t troubled apart from one shot  that he dealt with. The three centre backs  played well kitching was steady  Sutton lost as a wing back hasn’t got the composure in forward positions that’s needed. But defensively ok   Shelton worst of midfield three tonight Rooney had a good game Sheron MOM for me .thought Nuttall was better  than of late  and Reid run himself into ground  fondop  did ok when he came on   A pleasing result and a deserved win 

Agree with pretty much all of this. As much as I like Sutton as a defender, he’s not a wing back as offers hardly anything going forward. 

It wasn't a good football match interns of pure quality but it was ferociously competitive and for that reason I actually quite enjoyed watching it. Woking are a big physical side who will try and bully their way out of the division. But credit to our lads they gave as good as they got and we weren't outmuscled as other teams would have been in the past. 

Credit to Sheron and Shelton who both were putting the tackles in in the middle, Rooney for constantly trying to get on the ball and create things and pulling off the one quality ball of the game which got the goal. But man of the match was Liam Hogan who didn't miss a clearance all night and probably had his best game since he came to the club. I've got to say I worried when I saw we were starting with 3 at the back but credit to Unsworth it worked and we bounced back with a win. I do get the impression that their is a team spirit and a bond building with the players just showing how they all celebrated the goal together and the win at the end. 

11 points now from safety 13 off the play offs....

No ofcourse we won't but we should be aiming to get into the top half. 

1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

The winning goal came from a passing build up and Sheron making a run into the box. That’s our holding midfielder scoring from 6 yards out in injury time against 3rd in the league. We weren’t anywhere near that positive a couple of months ago. 

The goal was nicely worked, Rooney has suddenly become a player by simply putting a shift in and Sheron took it well. 

But the winner was our only bit of good play. Reid made his chance by capitalising on the defenders mistake, and Rooney made his own chance in the first by sitting two defenders on their arse. Both chances were down to individual’s doing well and not team play. 

The other 87 minutes went.

Sit on the edge of our box- give possession away. Defend well. Regain possession. Don’t move up the pitch. Lose possession. Defend well. Regain possession. Don’t move up the pitch. . 

He set us up to nullify them and it worked. I can’t knock him for that. Nor I am arsed as long as we win. But let’s not dress the performance up as anything other than what it was. 

Battling/Grinding/try and nick something. 

To play this way- he has to win. 

If we don’t- it’s desperate to watch. 

41 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Agree with pretty much all of this. As much as I like Sutton as a defender, he’s not a wing back as offers hardly anything going forward. 

He's not a wing-back and to judge him as such is ridiculous. He's a CB, who is also better at RB than anyone else we have. He's also a very young player who needs to build his confidence.

5 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

He's not a wing-back and to judge him as such is ridiculous. He's a CB, who is also better at RB than anyone else we have. He's also a very young player who needs to build his confidence.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not blaming him - it’s not his position. But maybe he’s the best option and needs must at the moment. 

35 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

11 points now from safety 13 off the play offs....

No ofcourse we won't but we should be aiming to get into the top half. 

Top half would be an achievement for the club this season, especially considering it's been 14 years since we achieved it in any league.

The next four games now become mid-table/top half matches.  Much more pleasant than the possible relegation six-pointers that we had in February.

It definitely wasn't pretty tonight, but I loved that goal.  That little moment of quality by Rooney and the great run and header by Sheron was the perfect type of last minute goal for a game like that.

Need to get Rooney around the edge of the penalty area more and support in the box.

I can see why DU changed the formation as Woking were a big physical team.

Not pretty to watch and until we sign players in key positions I think we will have to settle for these tactics.

Chuffed with the 3 points, but that was abysmal. Woking must have had an off day. To say they're third and that was the performance they produced, that was a pretty poor showing from them. Nuttall was absolutely atrocious again. Credit to those Woking fans who came to BP tonight. Long way that, especially for a Tuesday night. 

Might just be me but that was a superb end to a game that I enjoyed watching. Granted it wasnt MOTD stuff, nor free flowing BUT we were never out of the race like we have been in some home games this season. We had the better chances and a decent share of possession. When I saw the line up I froze a little, but right from the off it worked.  Other than the one save Norman had little to do ... the three center halfs were terrific as was Kitching. Sutton defended well but attacked with the killer instinct of a lamb, but he tried and more than once eased the pressure. Hogan, Sheron and Rooney had immense games (how Roony didnt bag is beyond me) Reid was effective and Nutall did what he does. Big mike and Timmy Geed up the crowd like they do. Several cpntenders for MOTM Sheron, Rooney, Hogan. For me the men of the match were the Athleticos who were on top form and fully deserved the scenes at the end. My expectations were not three points and even on 90 mins I would have took a draw ....... What the hell do I know! ... Special mention to the left sided linesman ... you are not always offside when you are fast as fuck ... the end 

I must of watched a different game, we started slowly and Woking bullied us for about 10 minutes but after that we matched their shithousery stride for stride, that's exactly how you deal with teams like that particularly when the ref offers little support and almost looked out of his depth.

Sutton should of started as the right sided centre half of the three and Yarney as wing back, that would of been a no brainer for me, Sutton doesn't have the game yet to operate as a wing back and was caught out several times, Hogan and Clarke were outstanding and proved that they can perform in the same team, Kitching played well in spells but also got caught out from time to time.

In midfield Sheron was outstanding and personally my man of the match and that was before the goal, he was literally everywhere particularly putting it about where it hurts he had his best game for the club, Shelton I don't think we've seen the best of yet, doesn't quite seem 100% at times i think we won't see the best of him till next season, Rooney had a good game for me box to box at times he put the yards in tonight but also provides that bit of quality, was unlucky not to score after he sent half the Woking defence over to Argos in the first half, he just dragged his shot wide but that alone deserved a goal and provided the assist for Sheron with another piece of individual brilliance. 

I like Reid up top and he was unlucky not to score himself last night, he's always on the shoulder and looking to get in behind and was unfortunate not to bag, Nuttall needs a rest for me I'm not going to write him off but that miss in the first half was criminal, he had 3 or 4 yards on the defender yet still failed to test the keeper, it was embarrassing really, he literally offers nothing at the minute, is he injured because from a standing start he he has literally zero explosive speed I've seen sloths off the mark quicker, nothing is sticking to him and on a couple of occasions he surrendered possession so cheaply Woking very nearly went down the other end and punished us for it, for whatever reason it's just not happening for him and picking him regardless just seems stupid, should be benched at the very least and made to earn his starting spot like the rest because he's done literally fuck all to justify the support he's getting from Unsworth.

I personally enjoyed it, that's the National League for you pub teams and shit officials but we came out went toe to toe and fucked them off back to their leisure centre ground, all I ask is that the eleven out there give their all and 90% of them did just that. With the players we've got 3-5-2 probably suits us better and for me personally it is effective and works.

7 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I must of watched a different game, we started slowly and Woking bullied us for about 10 minutes but after that we matched their shithousery stride for stride, that's exactly how you deal with teams like that particularly when the ref offers little support and almost looked out of his depth.

Sutton should of started as the right sided centre half of the three and Yarney as wing back, that would of been a no brainer for me, Sutton doesn't have the game yet to operate as a wing back and was caught out several times, Hogan and Clarke were outstanding and proved that they can perform in the same team, Kitching played well in spells but also got caught out from time to time.

In midfield Sheron was outstanding and personally my man of the match and that was before the goal, he was literally everywhere particularly putting it about where it hurts he had his best game for the club, Shelton I don't think we've seen the best of yet, doesn't quite seem 100% at times i think we won't see the best of him till next season, Rooney had a good game for me box to box at times he put the yards in tonight but also provides that bit of quality, was unlucky not to score after he sent half the Woking defence over to Argos in the first half, he just dragged his shot wide but that alone deserved a goal and provided the assist for Sheron with another piece of individual brilliance. 

I like Reid up top and he was unlucky not to score himself last night, he's always on the shoulder and looking to get in behind and was unfortunate not to bag, Nuttall needs a rest for me I'm not going to write him off but that miss in the first half was criminal, he had 3 or 4 yards on the defender yet still failed to test the keeper, it was embarrassing really, he literally offers nothing at the minute, is he injured because from a standing start he he has literally zero explosive speed I've seen sloths off the mark quicker, nothing is sticking to him and on a couple of occasions he surrendered possession so cheaply Woking very nearly went down the other end and punished us for it, for whatever reason it's just not happening for him and picking him regardless just seems stupid, should be benched at the very least and made to earn his starting spot like the rest because he's done literally fuck all to justify the support he's getting from Unsworth.

I personally enjoyed it, that's the National League for you pub teams and shit officials but we came out went toe to toe and fucked them off back to their leisure centre ground, all I ask is that the eleven out there give their all and 90% of them did just that. With the players we've got 3-5-2 probably suits us better and for me personally it is effective and works.

Best post I've read for ages

5 hours ago, rossy52 said:

how (apart from the obvious , that we paid a fee for him)  does Nuttall start before Fondop!! even Roy can see the difference ffs

If Roy said it once, he said it a million times.

Once was enough.

Decent post , Like Sutton as a centre half and thats it . He has a future in that position he is no wing back or full back  . Nuttall will come good hopefully he doesnt get destroyed by our clueless dickhead element. Fair play to Unsworth he has demonstrated tactical ability to win games . And no doubt this  years experience will be used wisely next season when recruiting players to play more football and resort to shithousery when needed . I also agree with you about Shelton ,some players just take a bit more time .

A mention about the ref last night, he wasn't the worse we have had this season, he wasn't helped by his linesman who both were poor to say the least. How the fuck Shelton didn't get booked for the assault on one of their players in the 1st half is beyond me. 

4 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Change that to second half and you could be talking about Reid. What has Reid done? Ah, he runs more...

8 hours ago, League one forever said:

But the winner was our only bit of good play

A bit harsh @League one forever - we competed well against a big but fairly one dimensional team - we played some good football in pockets but were forced to defend a high ball assault for a lot of the game. Their number 16, Nwabuokei, found too much space and was a handful.

I didn’t think that the game was as bad as some are making out - it was a typical National League game on a poor pitch.

Nuttall, for all his criticism, was better in brief moments - his problem for me is application - he needs to bring a higher intensity to his play. If he does then his hold up play will improve.

Having said that, Fondop, despite a couple of reckless passes, brought more urgency to our attacking play when he came on.

Not a single booking for us (Shelton got away with one) was a good sign too.

This was a night when Unsworth got his tactics right and the team worked extremely hard.

And winning the game in the 92nd minute was oh so sweet 😃

9 hours ago, Handsy said:

Well I’m obviously in the minority here but  I enjoyed that  Rooney and Reid  put their chances away first half  and it’s a comfortable win against 3rd in the league. Magnus wasn’t troubled apart from one shot  that he dealt with. The three centre backs  played well kitching was steady  Sutton lost as a wing back hasn’t got the composure in forward positions that’s needed. But defensively ok   Shelton worst of midfield three tonight Rooney had a good game Sheron MOM for me .thought Nuttall was better  than of late  and Reid run himself into ground  fondop  did ok when he came on   A pleasing result and a deserved win 

Good summary - captures it for me 👍

1 hour ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Change that to second half and you could be talking about Reid. What has Reid done? Ah, he runs more...

Apart from create one of our only three chances by playing on the shoulder and anticipating a defenders mistake. Oh and getting his head on a  half chance by beating his man to the near post. Ah yes, and in the first half when Nuttall got clean through but took 5 touches and the defender cleared, and then literally one minute later Reid had a sight on goal (not as clear as Nuttall) had one touch and shot- keeper made a save. 

Apart from that - yeah he just runs more. . 

Your defending of Nuttal is just bizarre. 

He clearly needs a rest, and to regain some confidence. Even his hold up play has become really poor/non existent. He look miles off it. 

Archived