MATCH: Eastleigh (A) 11/03/23

4 minutes ago, Wardie said:

Reid out with his hamstring, having a scan on Monday. Unsworth saying we have a "base" to build on, he will bring in "quality" during the summer and pre-season is going to be "massive" and "the players won't enjoy it".

What's he going to do, make the players watch what we the fans have to. 

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

Well that was classic Unsworth and I’m sick of it. Nearly 450 Latics fans who just wanted us to try and win a game instead of setting up for a 0-0 and hoping to nick something from a corner against Eastleigh, fuckin Eastleigh!!!!!!!!

It is soul destroying to watch his turgid overly cautious approach every week…when he did surprise us all and went for it at Barnet we won easily but here we are once again back to this Premier League academy crap

I really tried to get behind him but it’s pointless, he is the wrong man for the job and will waste the opportunity that FR and his money is bringing us

He will no doubt tell us what a great performance that was against playoff contenders but we could still be playing now and we still wouldn’t have had a shot on target.

Its crap and he needs to be replaced with a manager that wants to try and win every game in this pub league next season which it really will be without Hollywood FC and Notts

That said, I realise he is going nowhere so ranting is pointless but I am dreading next season already

Spot on 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Thought we shaded it. A point would’ve been ok, but didn’t see anything much from Eastleigh. They were there for the taking. Don’t remember them having a shot on target until we dropped a level or two and decided to stand off them, allowing their player to finish.

Poor game management from Unsworth not subbing Fondop for Abraham 10 minutes sooner. Big Mike looked shagged out after 55 minutes.

Green should also have come on earlier for Sutton. 

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Toothless with a Fondop/Nuttall front two, they wouldn't of scored if we were still playing now, Unsworth doing his best to fucking ruin Sutton as well the clown, looks fucking awful as a wing back, wasn't a great right back tbh but playing the kid ahead of Yarney in an unfamiliar role is almost criminal. 

Pace behind beats Eastleigh,so Unsworth goes there with two plodding donkies up front and brings Green on with about 10 minutes left, fucking clueless.

And basically brings him on as a right wing back.  I was expecting Green to at least be played as a winger!

Such a drab boring game with so little quality. 

It's fine playing a back 3, with 2 wing backs if you have them...but we don't.

Hogan Clarke and Yarney are actually fine and played well I thought, and Sheron in his role did OK. 

We were as comfortable at the back as I have seen us this season, but utterly clueless going forward. 

Eastleigh were poor and created nothing. Norman had nothing to do at all apart from the goal, ( not his fault btw just a good finish as we dropped off) and made a great double save in added time.

Any ambition today and we would won the game comfortably.

Yarney Clarke Hogan and Sheron did well, Rooney OK in patches but with no options most of the time, the rest were just well....so fucking average it's unbelievable.

I get that we don't have all the players we need to play a more attacking game sometimes but Christ today was tedious. 

It wasn't even horrendously  bad.....it was just a borefest with a manager inept of any idea of how to change things.

6 hours ago, ceskylatic said:

Thought we shaded it. A point would’ve been ok, but didn’t see anything much from Eastleigh. They were there for the taking. Don’t remember them having a shot on target until we dropped a level or two and decided to stand off them, allowing their player to finish.

Poor game management from Unsworth not subbing Fondop for Abraham 10 minutes sooner. Big Mike looked shagged out after 55 minutes.

Green should also have come on earlier for Sutton. 

I agree but it seems Unsworth is gutted for  us after listening to his post match same old clap trap.Recent results have been good but the football is dire and has been all season.We won't go down and will now just see the rest of this season out and rely on Frank to bankroll us again next season.

He’s going to get the start of next season no matter what but if this boring shite is being repeatedly served up he should be gone fairly quick.

I’m not happy with the fact that he thinks a point at Eastleigh without us having a shot on target would have been acceptable because it absolutely wouldn’t and a defeat certainly isn’t!

Next season there has to be a complete change in the dynamic.

When he came in he said it was his intention to try and win every game….he absolutely hasn’t done that.

With a few quality signings and a full preseason we should be chomping at the bit.
We should come out with all guns blazing but I am not convinced we will.

I would give him until the end of October but if the football hasn’t improved and we’re not up and around the playoff places then he must go.

It was absolutely essential we didn’t go down and it looks like job done in that respect, however, we cannot go through another season of this boring negative style of football!

Again, another post match interview that leaves me irritated. Unsworth saying we can play that game 10 times over and 9 times out of 10 we get a draw. Like that’s a good thing!

And the reporter telling Unsworth that coming to Eastleigh and holding our own for the majority of the game shows how far this team has come and has improved! Give me strength! Comments like that don’t go down well with fans (or with me anyway!)

Feeding Unsworth these lines. Waiting til we win a few games before announcing a fans forum. The club are certainly backing their man (which is a positive I suppose, just hope it all pays off in the long term)

3 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Time for 433 with Nuttall up top and Green and Tollitt on either flank. Rooney behind. 

The fact we don’t have a clear system and formation 36 games into a season is embarrassing. 

Is Tollitt still our top scorer this season? Agree we need to find a way to get him back in this team & firing.

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

It's peak Unsworth, though. For every decent result, there's always going to be a shit one or two round the corner. 

Welcome to the world of 99.9% of football fans...

Not attacking enough today. I'd find a replacement for Shelton after another game of mainly hoofing it even when under no pressure. Sutton out of position. Not so bad as RB but he's definitely not a wing back yet, although he might get better the more game time there.

Few chances  but nothing to properly penetrate them unfortunately 

5 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Welcome to the world of 99.9% of football fans...

Not attacking enough today. I'd find a replacement for Shelton after another game of mainly hoofing it even when under no pressure. Sutton out of position. Not so bad as RB but he's definitely not a wing back yet, although he might get better the more game time there.

Few chances  but nothing to properly penetrate them unfortunately 

Thought we had Nuttall the battering ram 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

8 minutes ago, Sloshed Joe said:

Again, another post match interview that leaves me irritated. Unsworth saying we can play that game 10 times over and 9 times out of 10 we get a draw. Like that’s a good thing!

And the reporter telling Unsworth that coming to Eastleigh and holding our own for the majority of the game shows how far this team has come and has improved! Give me strength! Comments like that don’t go down well with fans (or with me anyway!)

Feeding Unsworth these lines. Waiting til we win a few games before announcing a fans forum. The club are certainly backing their man (which is a positive I suppose, just hope it all pays off in the long term)

Agree - Unsworth was talking as if this season is done with and just wait until we have a full pre-season and we’ll be so much better…

Today was tedious and frustrating - from where I was sitting it seemed as if we really were not particularly bothered about going for the win. 

Nuttall and Fondop simply do not work when played together - far too often they took each others space.

Fondop should have scored from the free kick into the box and Rooney should have done better when firing wide.

Once again, too many seemed to be going through the motions, the substitutions were too late and we lost a game that we should have won.

We did not play with any real energy after conceding and it was a story of ‘same old same old’.

Today was definitely an  ‘Unsworth Out’ performance…

7 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Agree - Unsworth was talking as if this season is done with and just wait until we have a full pre-season and we’ll be so much better…

Today was tedious and frustrating - from where I was sitting it seemed as if we really were not particularly bothered about going for the win. 

Nuttall and Fondop simply do not work when played together - far too often they took each others space.

Fondop should have scored from the free kick into the box and Rooney should have done better when firing wide.

Once again, too many seemed to be going through the motions, the substitutions were too late and we lost a game that we should have won.

We did not play with any real energy after conceding and it was a story of ‘same old same old’.

Today was definitely an  ‘Unsworth Out’ performance…

Too many "Unsworth Out" tedious games this season and even our wins apart from a couple have been far from convincing.

His post match interviews fed by his sycophant are equally as bad.Seems he wants the season to end ASAP .

I’m just a miserable old git who doesn’t need much prompting to have a whinge and look on the downside. I think that’s why I liked Shez so much!

It’s really annoying looking at the 3 x teams in the automatic promotion spots in League Two. Orient, Carlisle & Stevenage. We were battling with all three to stay up in League Two last season. All three brought in new managers (Wellens, Simpson, Evans) and are flying.

I so wish it could’ve been us. Now it feels like we’ll be stuck in the National League for years.

17 minutes ago, Sloshed Joe said:

I’m just a miserable old git who doesn’t need much prompting to have a whinge and look on the downside. I think that’s why I liked Shez so much!

It’s really annoying looking at the 3 x teams in the automatic promotion spots in League Two. Orient, Carlisle & Stevenage. We were battling with all three to stay up in League Two last season. All three brought in new managers (Wellens, Simpson, Evans) and are flying.

I so wish it could’ve been us. Now it feels like we’ll be stuck in the National League for years.

Ifs buts and maybes.

We started the day 11 points off relegation, why the fuck would you go anywhere and try and play for a 0-0 draw ???, it's absolutely baffling how he views a draw at the latest Leisure Centre we visit as some kind of achievement, it's fucking Eastleigh we are playing at and he seems content to go there and not have a go, I bet they couldn't believe their luck when we literally just sat in for 90% of the game waiting for us to give up the obligatory goal from a fuck up.

As others have said, a very dull game.  The goal was a moment of quality that was completely out of place with the rest of the game.

I understand the logic of Unsworth for keeping the winning team (minus Reid) and formation from Tuesday night's match (regardless of how scrappy the performance was then) in order to get continuity and some form of consistency, but what we got was an unbalanced team with players in uncomfortable roles. 

We had 7 defensive-minded players in that starting XI with Sutton being put in a position that he clearly wasn't suited for and Kitching being asked to do everything on the left side until an overlapping Peter Clarke tried his best to help later on...we can't be relying on a 41 year old centre back to be doing that!!

Rooney was the only creative spark we had but it's unfair on him to be the only player to be able to do that.  Nuttall and Fondop basically tried to do the same role up front which nullified both of them.  Fondop tired early in the 2nd half and I thought Nuttall looked marginally the better of the two as he works harder for the team than Fondop, although Fondop looks like more of a threat and Nuttall's confidence looks shot (as shown with the move down the left with Kitching late on).

Green should've been brought on as a wide attacker but dropped into Sutton's wing back role, Abraham didn't have a lot of time to make an impact and would surely have done better against their tall and slow centre backs.

On a individual basis I can see why each player was chosen in the starting XI but it was pretty obvious that the team wasn't able to function properly with the way they were set up.

The fact that Eastleigh are in the playoffs on that showing is an indicator that this league isn't too difficult to do well in. They were full of 6/10 players who did their jobs and not really anything more, but have a player in Whitehall who can pull a rabbit out of the hat to make the difference in a tight game.  Woking looked similar on Tuesday if I'm honest.  With the budget that we should have with the attendances we have and the backing that Frank and the board have given so far, we should be looking to be better than these teams next season rather than just competing with them.

Which brings me on to Unsworth.  Considering that we were strongly looking like being in a relegation battle less than 3 weeks ago I can respect that he has definitely got this squad battling and working hard for each other, him and us.  But the truth is that this team and squad has enough players in it that are better than that and the last 5 teams that we've played are not noticeably better than what we currently have at our disposal, let alone if we strengthen in the summer. 

Now that we are safe barring an absolute disaster for the rest of the season that would get him sacked anyway, he needs to play a more expansive style in the last 10 games to build for next season.  I truly believe that we have enough competent defensive players that we can play 4 at the back and two of Sheron, Shelton or Rooney in midfield complimented by 4 attack minded players and be much more of an attacking force without losing the shape the team has built.

Unsworth has, by hook or by crook, done enough to start next season in charge and I respect the club for showing him loyalty in order to settle things down at the club this season, but I feel that the club is going to be progressing faster than than he is.  He needs to keep up and yesterday's limited showing has to be improved upon.

Finally, Eastleigh seemed like a nice club and a good setup but it was probably the quietest ground I've been in.  The acoustics in the oddly set up away end were decent but I heard next to nothing from the home fans despite their numbers being OK for this level.

8 hours ago, League one forever said:

Rhinoball. . . 

You have to win. 

Otherwise there is zero pay off for how dreadful it is to watch. 

It was and always be the same with him. 

I'm hoping this will change but not convinced on the evidence so far that it will.  It needs to for next season.

44 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

As others have said, a very dull game.  The goal was a moment of quality that was completely out of place with the rest of the game.

I understand the logic of Unsworth for keeping the winning team (minus Reid) and formation from Tuesday night's match (regardless of how scrappy the performance was then) in order to get continuity and some form of consistency, but what we got was an unbalanced team with players in uncomfortable roles. 

We had 7 defensive-minded players in that starting XI with Sutton being put in a position that he clearly wasn't suited for and Kitching being asked to do everything on the left side until an overlapping Peter Clarke tried his best to help later on...we can't be relying on a 41 year old centre back to be doing that!!

Rooney was the only creative spark we had but it's unfair on him to be the only player to be able to do that.  Nuttall and Fondop basically tried to do the same role up front which nullified both of them.  Fondop tired early in the 2nd half and I thought Nuttall looked marginally the better of the two as he works harder for the team than Fondop, although Fondop looks like more of a threat and Nuttall's confidence looks shot (as shown with the move down the left with Kitching late on).

Green should've been brought on as a wide attacker but dropped into Sutton's wing back role, Abraham didn't have a lot of time to make an impact and would surely have done better against their tall and slow centre backs.

On a individual basis I can see why each player was chosen in the starting XI but it was pretty obvious that the team wasn't able to function properly with the way they were set up.

The fact that Eastleigh are in the playoffs on that showing is an indicator that this league isn't too difficult to do well in. They were full of 6/10 players who did their jobs and not really anything more, but have a player in Whitehall who can pull a rabbit out of the hat to make the difference in a tight game.  Woking looked similar on Tuesday if I'm honest.  With the budget that we should have with the attendances we have and the backing that Frank and the board have given so far, we should be looking to be better than these teams next season rather than just competing with them.

Which brings me on to Unsworth.  Considering that we were strongly looking like being in a relegation battle less than 3 weeks ago I can respect that he has definitely got this squad battling and working hard for each other, him and us.  But the truth is that this team and squad has enough players in it that are better than that and the last 5 teams that we've played are not noticeably better than what we currently have at our disposal, let alone if we strengthen in the summer. 

Now that we are safe barring an absolute disaster for the rest of the season that would get him sacked anyway, he needs to play a more expansive style in the last 10 games to build for next season.  I truly believe that we have enough competent defensive players that we can play 4 at the back and two of Sheron, Shelton or Rooney in midfield complimented by 4 attack minded players and be much more of an attacking force without losing the shape the team has built.

Unsworth has, by hook or by crook, done enough to start next season in charge and I respect the club for showing him loyalty in order to settle things down at the club this season, but I feel that the club is going to be progressing faster than than he is.  He needs to keep up and yesterday's limited showing has to be improved upon.

Finally, Eastleigh seemed like a nice club and a good setup but it was probably the quietest ground I've been in.  The acoustics in the oddly set up away end were decent but I heard next to nothing from the home fans despite their numbers being OK for this level.

I'm not sure how criticising the manager for playing players out of position squares with a call to bring on a wide attacker to play at wing back

25 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I'm not sure how criticising the manager for playing players out of position squares with a call to bring on a wide attacker to play at wing back

The lads I go with can usually ‘read’ a game - the general consensus yesterday was that Unsworth should have reverted to 4 defenders and brought in Green wide right.

Sutton was the man to make way in the reshuffle. So not really playing a wide attacker at wing back as the formation would/should have changed. 

What was disappointing was the inability  of the coaching team to see that and to get the substitutes on earlier.

This was compounded by a failure to see that the  Fondop and Nuttall pairing was not working.

Unsworth, Ebbrell and Jeffers have huge experience in the game - we the fans have huge experience in watching football. So I defer to the professionals as they have to know better than I do…

…it’s just that sometimes it seems that they don’t 😮

Archived