MATCH: Eastleigh (A) 11/03/23

37 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I'm not sure how criticising the manager for playing players out of position squares with a call to bring on a wide attacker to play at wing back

Sorry I meant that he should have been played in an advanced role (i.e. as an attacking winger) instead of where he was actually played, which was at wing back.  He got forward but was clearly sitting back with the rest of the defensive line late in the game when we were supposed to be chasing a goal.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought yesterday’s performance was ok on the whole, nothing more. We saw a lot more of the ball and kept it better than usual, which I liked, but offered zero threat up front.

He’s right in saying we’re are now harder to beat (despite the fact that we still lost) kept our shape defensively and snuffed out any threat they had. Talking at half time we were saying that if we injected some pace in Green and Abraham, the games was ours to win as Fondop and Nuttall clearly doesn’t work, so why he left it so late only he knows.

I’ve not joined the Unsworth out camp because I don’t see the point. They clearly see him as the man and are/will continue to back him, so we just have to hope he brings in the right players and removes the shackles next year, because this league is dog shit.

1 hour ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Wonder if Eastleigh fans forum has people on saying they can't keep relying on worldies to win

Why do you always bother yourself with shit like this when attempting to put across a point of view, is it because you are incapable of forming opinions or like Eyresy do you just dislike your fellow Oldham fans, either way it contributes absolutely zilch.

2 hours ago, Steve_R said:

I thought yesterday’s performance was ok on the whole, nothing more. We saw a lot more of the ball and kept it better than usual, which I liked, but offered zero threat up front.

He’s right in saying we’re are now harder to beat (despite the fact that we still lost) kept our shape defensively and snuffed out any threat they had. Talking at half time we were saying that if we injected some pace in Green and Abraham, the games was ours to win as Fondop and Nuttall clearly doesn’t work, so why he left it so late only he knows.

I’ve not joined the Unsworth out camp because I don’t see the point. They clearly see him as the man and are/will continue to back him, so we just have to hope he brings in the right players and removes the shackles next year, because this league is dog shit.

Totally agree 👍👍👍 okay sums it up. Don’t think we would have scored if we were still playing now 🙄🙄🙄🙄 

I’ve said it before that if we get rid of Wrexham and Notts County there is nothing to fear next season if we can up our game. I’m still not sure if Unsworth is the right man for the job. All yesterday needed was a bit more attacking intent and we could have won. Unsworth has also in a couple of months turned Will Sutton into a bad player by playing him in the wrong position.

3 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

The lads I go with can usually ‘read’ a game - the general consensus yesterday was that Unsworth should have reverted to 4 defenders and brought in Green wide right.

Sutton was the man to make way in the reshuffle. So not really playing a wide attacker at wing back as the formation would/should have changed. 

What was disappointing was the inability  of the coaching team to see that and to get the substitutes on earlier.

This was compounded by a failure to see that the  Fondop and Nuttall pairing was not working.

Unsworth, Ebbrell and Jeffers have huge experience in the game - we the fans have huge experience in watching football. So I defer to the professionals as they have to know better than I do…

…it’s just that sometimes it seems that they don’t 😮

I Unsy is emboldened by our recent run, and thinks he can go back to formations with 3 and 5 despite the fact it plays people out of position and we don’t create as much as we do in a 442. 

21 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I Unsy is emboldened by our recent run, and thinks he can go back to formations with 3 and 5 despite the fact it plays people out of position and we don’t create as much as we do in a 442. 

If he is going to stick with the 3 or 5 he needs to get the right type of player in, I've consigned myself to the fact that he's here to stay, it's no good though trying to shoe horn players into positions they are uncomfortable with. We've seen enough this season to know it never works yet he keeps on trying it, if he is going to keep playing Sutton as a wing back it might be better for the lad to go and try his luck at another club where they will play to his strengths, it can't be doing his confidence any good. 

37 minutes ago, disjointed said:

If he is going to stick with the 3 or 5 he needs to get the right type of player in, I've consigned myself to the fact that he's here to stay, it's no good though trying to shoe horn players into positions they are uncomfortable with. We've seen enough this season to know it never works yet he keeps on trying it, if he is going to keep playing Sutton as a wing back it might be better for the lad to go and try his luck at another club where they will play to his strengths, it can't be doing his confidence any good. 

I suppose that, looking for positives, playing in a variety of position early on in a career is part of a learning curve.

Sutton is just 20 years old and will almost certainly play most of his football as a centre back. 

39 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Spot on. 

You’d think the far more prudent thing to do would be to keep playing 442 until the summer- keep building confidence and momentum with the players he has for certain positions. Then mould the squad on the summer to play his preferred shape. 

But instead he’s gone back to shoehorning what he wants- despite what is in front of him- it’s all very pre Christmas for me. 

36 minutes ago, disjointed said:

If he is going to stick with the 3 or 5 he needs to get the right type of player in

@disjointed True, presumably Steve Thompson should have a detailed brief now, I imagine there are many more than four 'needs' on David's wish list.

I understood David Unsworth was promoting 4-3-3 as the solution, not sure now, the back three formation might stick.

I share your unease about the team development, certainly how entertaining this will be.

So far, the Joe Nuttall signing was the biggest indicator, the right type of player for the manager, clearly a fixture for David's vision of a team set up to be promoted.

Is the manager also confidently messaging the board by playing the 'right' team shape, albeit with ineffective players, making a point.

I don't think Will Sutton is necessarily being damaged by looking average in a position he isn't comfortable playing, but this clearly isn't sustainable.

Would be a great shame if we had a repeat of the Tom Hamer situation, the lad always gave everything he had, in a poor side, but was very harshly judged.

24 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Spot on. 

You’d think the far more prudent thing to do would be to keep playing 442 until the summer- keep building confidence and momentum with the players he has for certain positions. Then mould the squad on the summer to play his preferred shape. 

But instead he’s gone back to shoehorning what he wants- despite what is in front of him- it’s all very pre Christmas for me. 

If he dropped Sutton there would been criticism from some for scapegoating a young lad or whatever.

If he dropped Clarke there would have been criticism from some suggesting he can't handle characters.

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Why do you always bother yourself with shit like this when attempting to put across a point of view, is it because you are incapable of forming opinions or like Eyresy do you just dislike your fellow Oldham fans, either way it contributes absolutely zilch.

I don't dislike the fan Faz, I just highlight the rampant entitlement and hypocrisy.

1 hour ago, disjointed said:

I believe Manchester City tried John Stones at wing back yesterday and he was  floundering like a fish out of water. Sounds familiar.

Slightly off topic, but I've been looking at the #oafc hashtag on Twitter for a while now, even though I don't have an account. Is there a rule on Twitter/Social Media that you have to act like a complete prick and be hostile to everyone? The amount of egos and ridiculous behaviour on there is off the scale. We all want what's best for the club, but sometimes there's more to life than Latics. Get off Social Media and touch some grass. People care far too much about their online persona. 

3 minutes ago, AnthonyOAFC said:

Slightly off topic, but I've been looking at the #oafc hashtag on Twitter for a while now, even though I don't have an account. Is there a rule on Twitter/Social Media that you have to act like a complete prick and be hostile to everyone? The amount of egos and ridiculous behaviour on there is off the scale. We all want what's best for the club, but sometimes there's more to life than Latics. Get off Social Media and touch some grass. People care far too much about their online persona. 

Facebook is less severe, maybe its because many use their real names?

I use my real name on Facebook, but not on twitter or here as I feel it's not as open to personal attacks 

3 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Plenty of my own opinions. I wanted Unsworth out. He's changed my mind since new year. Just because I don't demand his public flogging after a loss, or call playoffs after a win. My point with that comment was just reminding how ridiculously over the top we can get where we're even finding excuses to take any credit from Unsworth when people are firmly in ome camp. Its OK to change your mind. Some people would rather find any reason not to

1 hour ago, AnthonyOAFC said:

Twatter is a poisonous bag of vitriol, WUMs and trolls, many of whom have no affinity with Latics whatsoever. Unfortunately, because Latics are now non-league and the BBC isn't interested anymore, Twatter is the quickest way to keep tags with the match. Unless I torture myself by attempting to watch it.

2 hours ago, AnthonyOAFC said:

I’ve said this before … just block the posters that contribute nothing but vitriol and the Twitter world will seem a much nicer place 😉

4 hours ago, deyres42 said:

I don't dislike the fan Faz, I just highlight the rampant entitlement and hypocrisy.

Entitlement 😄😄

No promotion since the 80s, 5 top half finishes since 1995, no top half finish since 2008, 2 relegations in 5 years, currently bottom half in the 5th division. God we're so spoilt aren't we!!

9 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Entitlement 😄😄

No promotion since the 80s, 5 top half finishes since 1995, no top half finish since 2008, 2 relegations in 5 years, currently bottom half in the 5th division. God we're so spoilt aren't we!!

On a Monday - he means that some fans still think we’re massive and should walk this league. 

On a Tuesday. - He claims he wants to the win the league ‘at a canter’ next season. 

He offers nothing sensible, but if you treat him as a parody account- you can a have laugh with him. 

19 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Entitlement 😄😄

Promoted in 1991. Don't exaggerate 😜

8 minutes ago, League one forever said:

On a Monday - he means that some fans still think we’re massive and should walk this league. 

On a Tuesday. - He claims he wants to the win the league ‘at a canter’ next season. 

He offers nothing sensible, but if you treat him as a parody account- you can a have laugh with him. 

I do want to win the league in a canter, everyone should. I don’t have any expectations that it will happen or believe we have a divine right to do so though.

The entitlement is real, comes from the section of fans who exist in the 'never our fault' bubble.

Archived