MATCH: Yeovil Town (A) 22/04/23

Hope we sign off with a win next week

- keeps the run going (when did we last win 5 league games in a row?)

- ensures a top 10 finish

- end with as many wins as losses

- can't remember the last time we won the last match of the season, must be getting on for 10 years ago?

- positive goal difference maybe

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Some have been anti Unsworth from day one, I certainly wasn’t…..We’ve all been guilty of Unsworth out calls at varying stages of the season especially immediately after some of the dire performances we’ve witnessed but it can’t be denied that he is turning the tide.

Its still not great to watch but it will be interesting to see the calibre of players he brings in and how we start the new season.

He has definitely earned the opportunity to try and make a success of it!

Fair comment. Personally I’ve not joined the Unsworth out group because I’ve never seen the point. The board are (rightly) backing their man, and I want him, and every other manager we’ve had, to succeed. I’ve been critical of him and his style of play, and he’s far from convinced me yet.

Results have been a lot better recently and hopefully the right signings will be brought in and we can really go for it next season. Ive no problem eating my slice of the humble pie if it happens, but I’m not getting too giddy just yet.

Hopefully we can forget all this next year as we’re gunning for promotion and he certainly deserves a crack at it.

23 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

right back centre back two centre mids two footed winger striker

thats assuming Green is staying

I don't think we need another striker as a priority.  We've got three more than capable vying for two places.  Maybe need another as cover, if no one's confident in say Forshaw...

If we get a right back, then we'll effectively gain a centre-back in Sutton.

We need one first choice midfielder, to go along-side Green, Rooney and Sheron - I assume your likes of Chapman and Shelton will still be here for back-up.

Why wouldn't Green be staying?

4 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I don't think we need another striker as a priority.  We've got three more than capable vying for two places.  Maybe need another as cover, if no one's confident in say Forshaw...

We need one first choice midfielder, to go along-side Green, Rooney and Sheron - I assume your likes of Chapman and Shelton will still be here for back-up.

Agree on the strikers, we have enough there. I’d rather see money going on creativity. 

ok give me time to process a reply whilst also wrestling with why lve spelt center like lve spelt it and also how long l have been doing so. lm assuming forever as lve done it twice so its stopping me doing anything else right now

15 minutes ago, JoeP said:

17 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Agree on the strikers, we have enough there. I’d rather see money going on creativity. 

Exactly. And if that creative midfield player can lay it on a plate for Nuttall I'm sure he'll bag lots of goals.

2 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

could anybody knock up a Fondop montage? only Latics could have a beefcake left footed striker who only bangs in screamers from outside the box and call him a carthorse, even want him released 🙄

dense as fuck

ps if you could also incude him Chinnin people in the montage that would be even better. great 'character' for a non league title push 😍

l feel l should say this even tho part of my brain is saying No don't

l was going to say 'beefcake black as fuck left footed..'

meaning black as a compliment but lm scared l can't say it even tho l have done. maybe l can do bc lm yellow?

oh shit.

5 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

l feel l should say this even tho part of my brain is saying No don't

l was going to say 'beefcake black as fuck left footed..'

meaning black as a compliment but lm scared l can't say it even tho l have done. maybe l can do bc lm yellow?

oh shit.

Let’s talk about center/centre again. 

doin sumat like its normal then doubting its normal then not doing it then finding out it was in fact normal is standard for me

however, also finding NO ITS NOT NORMAL is also painfully standard. as is possible l find out in the next hour or so in a public forum setting 🙄

9 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

doin sumat like its normal then doubting its normal then not doing it then finding out it was in fact normal is standard for me

however, also finding NO ITS NOT NORMAL is also painfully standard. as is possible l find out in the next hour or so in a public forum setting 🙄

That first line almost sounds like it could have been written by The Great Red Fleece Himself 😆

But Bazza wouldn't ever dream of being self-critical I suspect.

i think we're all in shock after 4 wins in a row and no goals conceded.

ANYWAYYYY

to answer @JoeP's questions and big thanks to @oafcmetty's squad list thread which has given me the opportunity to potentially assemble a thorough reply l am happy with forever.

for what l can be arsed to recall and the lifetime of thousands, we have never ended a season so stable and positive

assuming we can pay off Lootbagger and sign Hudson

assuming the talk is right re McGahey

assuming the talk is right re Hope

it looks like our squad for next summer is

Norman, Hudson

Hogan, McGahey(pay him off sign Clarke if he fancies 20-25apps) Kitch, Sutton, Yarney

Gardner, Couto, Burgess, Sheron, Shelton, Rooney, Tollitt

Nuttall, Reid, Fondop, Hope

So that's 17-18 give or take a Burgess

next year, if lm Rhino then next season lm expecting to play nearly 60 matches and l want a 24 man squad to do it so add to that Green who isnt signed and then a first choice RB and a first choice CB to push Yarney and Hogan and lve got Will Sutton who possibly now can play two positions lm buzzin about my defence.

if l add two mega CM's and a two footed winger l can play 4231, 433, 442, 451 and 352 over those 60 matches. if l don't sign two CM's and only get one then ok lm still happy and maybe spend more on that actual one to get the one.

add a pacy decent striker to those options signed up bc you want four strikers for 60 matches and none of us wants Reid doing that job solo for a thousand minutes bc its Scientifically impossible at full whack.

signing Chapman, Bas, Timmy would not upset me but they do not count as what lm looking for other than squad players.

then we address whatever happens, like injuries or Forshaw scoring on his debut against Failsworth Dynamo's away in the FA Trophy, when it happens.

15 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

That first line almost sounds like it could have been written by The Great Red Fleece Himself 😆

But Bazza wouldn't ever dream of being self-critical I suspect.

i think we're all in shock after 4 wins in a row and no goals conceded.

Bazza is in no way capable of even entertaining that a Human can exist in a constantly self critical state, nevermind actually manage to exist under such conditions!!

30 minutes ago, True Tic said:

Can’t find the goals? 

bit soon yet the clubs have to do it and yeovil cba plus our media got onit w the players at the back of the bus on the way home*. mite get em this afternoon..

*completely made up

21 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Is it? I'd disagree. Not sure why that would be a concern. They see him more than anyone here does 

Well it appears they're choosing to play players we have seen for 30 plus games already this season, and so already know what they have to offer

Surely in a meaningless game it makes sense to look at the players you don't know enough about or aren't sure what they can offer

Just looks like neglecting a chance to plan ahead 

3 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

ok give me time to process a reply whilst also wrestling with why lve spelt center like lve spelt it and also how long l have been doing so. lm assuming forever as lve done it twice so its stopping me doing anything else right now

Sentre

4 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

Hope we sign off with a win next week

- keeps the run going (when did we last win 5 league games in a row?)

- ensures a top 10 finish

- end with as many wins as losses

- can't remember the last time we won the last match of the season, must be getting on for 10 years ago?

- positive goal difference maybe

W5 on the bounce across the end of the 07/08 into the 08/09 season - including the 4-3 over Millwall opening day, and 2-0 at Leeds. Won last match against Carlisle at home at the end of the 11/12 season.

5 hours ago, St92 said:

Well it appears they're choosing to play players we have seen for 30 plus games already this season, and so already know what they have to offer

Surely in a meaningless game it makes sense to look at the players you don't know enough about or aren't sure what they can offer

Just looks like neglecting a chance to plan ahead 

I reckon I know who I'd keep and let go by now, and probably the management team do too!

Who would you like to see start and who your not sure about??

15 hours ago, JoeP said:

Do we need that many new signings? 

We need a right-back and a good midfielder, but surely we want to take this run into next season so could do with some stability? 

What we don't want is being crap for the first few months of the season in the name of waiting for the team to "gel"...

I think we need four myself.

Right wing back - A clone of Kitching would be perfect. 

Central midfielder - Sheron, as adequate as he's been since December, should be a backup option or competing for one midfield place with Shelton. Noor Husin at Southend would be ideal as he's far better at pressing and getting forward too.

Creative midfielder - Expect us to bin Rooney and bring in Booty (Maidstone) or Campbell at Gateshead. Possibly Lundgard at Altrincham. Any of these would greatly increase service to the wings and forwards.

Striker - I think Willoughby / Chester will be approached to give us a four strikers, all with different styles and all competing for two slots.

I can probably see us trying to sign Chapman as I suspect DU sees something in him that just about all Latics fans can't. I also think Sambou has been steadily (and stealthily) improving. Whilst I don't think he's a world-beater as such, he may be a target if his contract is at an end at Crewe. 

As for stability, next season will be the first in over a decade where we start with players that all know each other. It's always been a huge contributing factor to us starting seasons slow. I expect us to be much faster out of the traps. I'm rather encouraged as DU, to his credit, has put together the foundations of a team that work extraordinarily hard for eachother. We're just missing quality in midfield.

3 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I think we need four myself.

Right wing back - A clone of Kitching would be perfect. 

Central midfielder - Sheron, as adequate as he's been since December, should be a backup option or competing for one midfield place with Shelton. Noor Husin at Southend would be ideal as he's far better at pressing and getting forward too.

Creative midfielder - Expect us to bin Rooney and bring in Booty (Maidstone) or Campbell at Gateshead. Possibly Lundgard at Altrincham. Any of these would greatly increase service to the wings and forwards.

Striker - I think Willoughby / Chester will be approached to give us a four strikers, all with different styles and all competing for two slots.

I can probably see us trying to sign Chapman as I suspect DU sees something in him that just about all Latics fans can't. I also think Sambou has been steadily (and stealthily) improving. Whilst I don't think he's a world-beater as such, he may be a target if his contract is at an end at Crewe. 

As for stability, next season will be the first in over a decade where we start with players that all know each other. It's always been a huge contributing factor to us starting seasons slow. I expect us to be much faster out of the traps. I'm rather encouraged as DU, to his credit, has put together the foundations of a team that work extraordinarily hard for eachother. We're just missing quality in midfield.

ld take any of them signings.

Rooney had a decent first couple of games and recent decent patch completely out of position. he is a 10 in a 3 man midfield and has won player of the year twice at this level.

we either need to literally build the team and around him or as you say bin him off. dont see why we couldnt sign any of them an even keep Rooney too, but l see your thinking,

lm expecting the formation to be fluid next season but l can see a loose

Norm

New RB

Hogan/ new CB

Yarney

Kitch

New Proper CDM

Sheron/Shelton

New winger/Green/Tollit/Reid

Rooney

New winger/Green/Tollit/Reid

Nuttall/Fondop/Reid

type effort. can also play a 433 that team and even 352 it if the new RB is good enough. if the new CM is really good then Rooney can operate in a two in a 442. however, lm not expecting to see much 442 next season, l think that was forced upon us this year.

what l dont want to see is us ever adapting to anybody ever again now. we have had our 'needs must' period, now l want to see us out there imposing, no fuckit l want to see us out there bullying everybody and flipping stuff about to out formation or outsub oppositions on the rare ocassions our first plan doesnt work.

its all rather exciting. or it should be. theres a part of me scared we might try and Defensive Dave it which would still be acceptable l suppose but l really hope that shit is all done with..

Archived