Summer 2023 Player Signing News & Rumours

Starting to feel a little bit underwhelmed by our summer transfer activity

We had a great start to the summer but then it feels like we have taken our foot off the gas a bit because it's been ages since the last signing

And midfield creativity and RB that were issues last season don't look to have been resolved

Feels to me a bit like we put ourselves in a great position and then relaxed a bit 

1 minute ago, St92 said:

Starting to feel a little bit underwhelmed by our summer transfer activity

We had a great start to the summer but then it feels like we have taken our foot off the gas a bit because it's been ages since the last signing

And midfield creativity and RB that were issues last season don't look to have been resolved

Feels to me a bit like we put ourselves in a great position and then relaxed a bit 

Did our business early barring a right back and maybe 2 more. It's not about keeping fans entertained with signings every week!

1 minute ago, dannyboy55555 said:

Did our business early barring a right back and maybe 2 more. It's not about keeping fans entertained with signings every week!

Yeah I have no problems with doing business early, that's what I want us to be doing 

Just feels a bit frustrating that areas that were an issue in April are still issues in August 

19 minutes ago, daniel said:

Seen on twitter that Norwood has been training with us all week and due to be announced. Any truth? 
I’ll still believe it when I see it, but would be a statement signing. 

Done deal apparently,  announcement due today. 

3 minutes ago, St92 said:

Yeah I have no problems with doing business early, that's what I want us to be doing 

Just feels a bit frustrating that areas that were an issue in April are still issues in August 

Maybe it's a sign on how much more difficult it is for a non-league club to attract quality from higher divisions, even with the improvements made around the club.

Personally, I'm at ease with the type of players we have signed. In the years of dross, I craved a model like Peterborough who have been all about bringing in players as sellable assets and getting good money for them when they've outgrown us. We just might be getting it now and once we develop a strong reputation of being a good place to be, those quality signings may be easier to attract.

I still think some players and agents have a bit of uncertainty about us as a club linked to the old regime. The toxicity takes a while to cleanse.

10 minutes ago, Fervid said:

Done deal apparently,  announcement due today. 

If this is the case (and also the Dallas chase), then it would be in line with some of the things Unsworth said in the podcast interview. It mainly revolved around Wrexham and Notts County going up so the board have decided to go for it more than they were originally planning too. So I do think Unsworth will be under more pressure to deliver than I thought he might be previously. I thought 12th, 7th, then up might be acceptable in his 3 seasons but if the board are throwing more at it I would have thought a serious tilt will be the least they expect this season.

I don't expect them to pull the plug early with a slow start, but I don't think he'll get anywhere near as much leeway as he did last season.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

If this is the case (and also the Dallas chase), then it would be in line with some of the things Unsworth said in the podcast interview. It mainly revolved around Wrexham and Notts County going up so the board have decided to go for it more than they were originally planning too. So I do think Unsworth will be under more pressure to deliver than I thought he might be previously. I thought 12th, 7th, then up might be acceptable in his 3 seasons but if the board are throwing more at it I would have thought a serious tilt will be the least they expect this season.

I don't expect them to pull the plug early with a slow start, but I don't think he'll get anywhere near as much leeway as he did last season.

Good post NZ,

Yeah, I agree with you- the term struggling might re defined by the board following the level of signings. I’ve thought that if he’s bottom half he’d be under real pressure- but it could be more if he’s hovering in mid table now. If that was the case, then I’d be really happy with that, because in my view he’s had a very forgiving, generous board and he needs to deliver for them and us now. 

12 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Surely Norwood isn't signing. It can't be true

He's 33 next month. It's a good signing assuming he's injury free but not sure I'm buying that it's a massive coup. I'd expect a player at his stage of his career to be around League Two/NL level. We're still one of the bigger draws for players in the aforementioned leagues, especially with the extra revenue from the increased attendances over the last season, so not surprised we're a favourite to sign him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PlayItLivo said:

He's 33 next month. It's a good signing assuming he's injury free but not sure I'm buying that it's a massive coup. I'd expect a player at his stage of his career to be around League Two/NL level. We're still one of the bigger draws for players in the aforementioned leagues, especially with the extra revenue from the increased attendances over the last season, so not surprised we're a favourite to sign him.

I think it’s the rumour, I won’t say fact because you never know, that Hollywood fc are after him with mullin being injured. I think that’s what makes it a bit unlikely 

4 minutes ago, PlayItLivo said:

He scored 12 goals two leagues above last season and fans of a League One playoff club want to keep him. Of course it would be a coup

4 minutes ago, PlayItLivo said:

Someone who played 49 games for a League One team last season, including the play-off final is definitely a coup, should he join.

I think his signature would put us on a par with Chesterfield.

Of all the strikers we have right now I still don’t believe we have the right combination to really make a difference…

James Norwood would be a massive signing and a real statement of intent!!