Summer 2023 Player Signing News & Rumours

14 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

And he's been just as bad under every single one of those 6 managers...

OUCH 🤣🤣🤣

he's been great lmo at Dale, Barnet and both Hartlepool matches. some others too. but like @yarddog73 says, he doesnt have the bite and is surely keeping a place warm for an incoming CM General Daz Shez lite type player

37 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

And he's been just as bad under every single one of those 6 managers...

He's the very definition of mediocre. Sadly that puts him head and shoulders above most of the teammates he's had here...

Edited by OneSizeFitz

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

But we need better if we want to improve, it's harsh to say given he does come over as one of the better pro's within the group. He is versatile and is the type Mellon may like to use from the bench as cover for a variety of positions but for me he's just not got that extra bite we need.

Ideally we'll get an upgrade, but pragmatically if we're working with what we've got I'd be happier having Hope in the team ahead of a player with a questionable attitude or questionable levels of consistency.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, nzlatic said:

The form table since Unsworth left has us 4th as far as I can make out.

The season isn’t over. The squad doesn’t sacking en masse. We aren’t that far off. More signings probably coming in. 20 games to go. 

But that includes 6 games unbeaten under Thomson . How would it look just since Mellon arrived.

I like the 5pm nickname but more lateral thinking needed. How about 'Teatime', which wouldn't really need to be changed for the next two promotions? When he takes us into the Championship he'd change to 'Suppertime'.

33 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

But that includes 6 games unbeaten under Thomson . How would it look just since Mellon arrived.

Funny you should ask Dave, that was my job for this morning! Caveat - I use transfermarkt for this info, or mosvaluations.com as it's otherwise known. So if I'm out on anything I'll blame my tools.

The reason I looked at the form since Unsworth left was to see whether or not the squad is as bad or as inconsistent as is being made out. Being 4th in the form table since then would suggest there is a certain level of consistency.  Some stats on our managers this season...

Unsworth: 9 games, 7 pts (0.78 PPG), 23rd in form table

Thompson: 6 games, 12 pts (2.00 PPG), 5th in form table

Mellon: 11 games, 20 pts (1.82 PPG), 3rd in form table

If we take Mellon's PPG and apply it over the 26 games of this season so far we'd be 4th in the table. If we apply that over a full season (83 points) then over the last 6 seasons (going backwards) we'd have finished 4th, 6th, 4th, 2nd, 5th and 2nd. 

If we continue earning points at Mellon's current PPG for the rest of this season we'd end up on 75 points. That would have us finishing as follows in the last 6 seasons (going backwards) 5th, 9th, 8th, 4th, 6th, 4th.

Both of those stats have been adjusted for various shortened seasons. The covid one I've taken an average of 38 games so could be out a little bit. The 2 seasons where we'd finish 9th and 8th both were very close among the top 10, who were scoring more points between them than this season's top 10. I think the final table this season is more likely to end up like one of the other seasons so I'd expect us to be comfortably in the play offs on current trajectory.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

But we haven't been one of the best teams in the division, we've been battered off Fylde, Ebbsfleet and fluked past level seven Mickleover on penalties, won our first game at home since September just this week and been generally out fought and outplayed in the majority of the games we've played in.

Squads still disjointed, lopsided and reliant on too few players, of course none of this is MM fault he's actually working minor miracles but let's not kid ourselves we are anywhere near Chesterfields level which is where we should be aspiring to be or even have any sort of identity because we don't. 

Will we make the playoffs? Probably but there is so much to put right it's going to take time to get us anywhere where we need to be, personally I think we will finish about 6th and then we'd be in the lap of the gods with three games to win away from BP to go up.

Another thing to consider is losing Stones, he made a huge difference to us while he was here and rejuvenated us, it will be interesting to see how we cope without him.

When I said we were one of the best teams in the division I was basing it on points scored. Being top 4 on points scored suggests that is the case. This of course does not mean that we are without fault. Nor was I suggesting we are on a level with the other "best teams". All those things you've cited are true, but also we are scoring points at a rate that would get us into the play offs.

What's that phrase about not letting perfect be the enemy of good? I'd personaly rather look at the positive and enjoy us looking toward the top of the table and promotion for a change. There are still plenty of things to sort, plenty of negatives. But I'd rather try and enjoy winning more than losing. God knows when that last happened consistently!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Funny you should ask Dave, that was my job for this morning! Caveat - I use transfermarkt for this info, or mosvaluations.com as it's otherwise known. So if I'm out on anything I'll blame my tools.

The reason I looked at the form since Unsworth left was to see whether or not the squad is as bad or as inconsistent as is being made out. Being 4th in the form table since then would suggest there is a certain level of consistency.  Some stats on our managers this season...

If we take Mellon's PPG and apply it over the 26 games of this season so far we'd be 4th in the table. If we apply that over a full season (83 points) then over the last 6 seasons (going backwards) we'd have finished 4th, 6th, 4th, 2nd, 5th and 2nd. 

If we continue earning points at Mellon's current PPG for the rest of this season we'd end up on 75 points. That would have us finishing as follows in the last 6 seasons (going backwards) 5th, 9th, 8th, 4th, 6th, 4th.

Both of those stats have been adjusted for various shortened seasons. The covid one I've taken an average of 38 games so could be out a little bit. The 2 seasons where we'd finish 9th and 8th both were very close among the top 10, who were scoring more points between them than this season's top 10. I think the final table this season is more likely to end up like one of the other seasons so I'd expect us to be comfortably in the play offs on current trajectory.

Good stats, although caveated by the memory that Transfermarkt reached a view that our portfolio of French Lads was the most valuable squad in L2...😁

• Like 1

Good research @nzlatic. I'm relatively happy with our league position given the ropey start and confidence in the current manager.

Of course our team can be improved and without throwing anyone under the bus MM was pretty clear in his post-match interview after the home win against Hartlepool that he's desperate to strengthen.

As Stones demonstrated I do agree with everyone that the right signing(s) will really bolster our play off challenge. 

Even at this stage it feels like every game is a big game given how closely bunched the play off pack is. That's got to be good for the p1ss boil when we inevitably chuck in a mediocre performance!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Nice work NZ, it makes you realise just how shit Unsworth was, what a waste of a year and a bit. 

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

but but but the season is over and millions pissed up the wall and but but and and but but..

bunch of weapons arent they. liars too.

26 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Nice work NZ, it makes you realise just how shit Unsworth was, what a waste of a year and a bit. 

also hopefully makes some people close their mouths for a bit and maybe brush their teeth after spewing so much bullshit.

Just now, Monty Burns said:

but but but the season is over and millions pissed up the wall and but but and and but but..

bunch of weapons arent they. liars too.

We have wasted money and plenty of it, we should still catch the play offs though so not a complete disaster.

Dale fan at works says there's a bit of talk about us signing someone called Sinclair from them?

Apparently need the money to pay the wages so is available at a knockdown price.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

just get @oafc1955 on board the boat bc l think he might secretly be a sound guy!

the rest can all fuckoff to barry chuckles to chomp on another another Xmas log and drink bitter

Secretly!!I am a sound guy😂 We’ll almost certainly make the playoffs but I just don’t think that with the current squad we will be good enough to win them.

If we can add a couple of quality players then that could make all the difference!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

Dale fan at works says there's a bit of talk about us signing someone called Sinclair from them?

Apparently need the money to pay the wages so is available at a knockdown price.

Good scoring record for a winger - just back from an ankle injury which he picked up against us…

41 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Secretly!!I am a sound guy😂 We’ll almost certainly make the playoffs but I just don’t think that with the current squad we will be good enough to win them.

If we can add a couple of quality players then that could make all the difference!

I beg to differ…

27 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

ALL ABOARDDDDD  🛳

2 hours ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

Thought he looked alright when we played them at their place. I'd definitely take him. Came through the latics academy didn't he?

There was a really good post from a Tranmere fan on here just after Brabin joined about how good he is at recruiting players and how big a part of their success under Mellon it was. Given the relative success Mellon has had already (points wise if maybe not consistent performance wise) with a fairly average squad I've got full faith that they'll recruit the correct players to seal a playoff position. They'll know full well where our deficiencies are.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

Think his contract is up at the end of the season so it shouldn't be too much.