Summer 2023 Player Signing News & Rumours

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

doesn't score enough for me and would be in front of Mikey so lma say Not for me, thanks.

Hit double figures in L1 x 2 and L2 x 1 for the last three seasons prior to this season. With us being two leagues down from where he is playing now it would be welcomed for me 👍. Granted not seen anything of him but stats speak for themselves. 

2 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

Hit double figures in L1 x 2 and L2 x 1 for the last three seasons prior to this season. With us being two leagues down from where he is playing now it would be welcomed for me 👍. Granted not seen anything of him but stats speak for themselves. 

MM has previously inquired as to his availability when Dino was there so it’s definitely a player that will be under consideration.

16 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Yeah, they'll go for Stockton again...

I hope so.

Interesting that Mellon has managed him before and was quoted saying he's not the type of striker that will press and run the channels for you etc... which is the opposite of the type of player we are looking to replace in Josh Stones.

His scoring record at a higher level might trump all that though.

• Like 1

If we never had Norwood, and we had Reid and Kurt 1st team regulars, running the channels and doing the donkey work for Fondop, then I think Stockton would be a good signing as he would be an upgrade on big Mike. 

However Norwood and Stockton are too similar players in my opinion and I doubt they would compliment each other if they were playing together. 

Stockton isn't going to come to us knowing he will playing second fiddle behind Norwood.  

Mellon wants his front players to press and work their socks off, you won't get that off Stockton. 

Money should and could be spent better elsewhere in the squad.  

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, South West Blue said:

If we never had Norwood, and we had Reid and Kurt 1st team regulars, running the channels and doing the donkey work for Fondop, then I think Stockton would be a good signing as he would be an upgrade on big Mike. 

He'd effectively be a replacement for Big Mike. As much as he does a decent enough job this is his level and we have to hold ambitions of higher than this and have in the personel to drive it. Stockton would fit that brief and Mellon appears to favour a target man + striker combination up front. He had Norwood and Cooke at Tranmere which yielded most of his success.

Could easily see us bringing him in on loan with a view to a permanent in the summer and Fondop drops back to the bench. For me, he's most effective as that snarling, raging bull coming off when opposition defenders are leggy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, adamoafc said:

yeah l factored that and decided he would hit double figures but so will BigMike with the gametime.

loyalty is my biggest flaw.

5PM saying he’s close to a few more signings, and intimidated that people will see the quality they’re trying to bring in. (Which following on from Conlon implies they won’t come cheap) 

Blows my ‘no budget left until summer’  theory right out of the window. The backing of Frank and his family continues to surprise and delight me. 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, True Tic said:

Thought there’d have been another one coming in by today. 

Mellon in his interview mentions a couple of players are close to signing so probably looking at next week now

• Like 1

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

5PM saying he’s close to a few more signings, and intimidated that people will see the quality they’re trying to bring in. (Which following on from Conlon implies they won’t come cheap) 

Blows my ‘no budget left until summer’  theory right out of the window. The backing of Frank and his family continues to surprise and delight me. 

It's his Scottish accent which makes him intimidating. :D 

• Like 3