Summer 2023 Player Signing News & Rumours

10 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

I mean, it is their job...

Think they’ve done a little bit more than the bare minimum tho wouldn’t you agree ? While all the time it’s felt still like sensible investment. This is how recruitment should have been done when they backed the last gaffer too. I bet there’s loads of out of work managers looking in with a bit of envy towards 5pm’s job position. 
We should in my opinion be very grateful  to Frank and the family. 

Edited by simplythemostimportantkick
Spelling
  • Like 16

1 hour ago, Wardie said:

I'm not sure why some are underwhelmed. 

Not underwhelmed with the player as such, who I have no doubt has the potential to be a top signing at this level, but more the fact that it was fairly obvious to me that it was going to be Dallas and that it had been dragged out all day.

When it was finally announced I suppose I found it a bit of an anticlimax? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oafc1955 said:

Not underwhelmed with the player as such, who I have no doubt has the potential to be a top signing at this level, but more the fact that it was fairly obvious to me that it was going to be Dallas and that it had been dragged out all day.

dont go online all day finding out?? 👍🏻

• Like 2

Dallas is a very good signing. A proven goal scorer at this level. I’m expecting the type of impact that Doyle had when he came in (and hopefully not the life threatening blood condition). He plays in a similar style and with quality like Conlon offering the ammunition, we should be able to open up stubborn teams at home a lot easier.

We’ve got to play almost all the top seven at home, and we’re much better equipped to compete and overwhelm most of those than we were 3 weeks ago. Good business.

• Like 8

Looking around the league can anyone say they have done better business than we have this month certainly looking at our promotion rivals I think we've strengthened more than any of them have. It's putting us in a really good position and setting ourselves up nicely for the run in. This is where having a strong squad will matter and I think we are atleast as strong as everyoneelse now.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Looking around the league can anyone say they have done better business than we have this month certainly looking at our promotion rivals I think we've strengthened more than any of them have. It's putting us in a really good position and setting ourselves up nicely for the run in. This is where having a strong squad will matter and I think we are atleast as strong as everyoneelse now.

When I think back to the summer business undertaken by Unsworth and the whiff of excitement his spiel gave us regarding unparalleled training and the 'apparent' quality of the signings, I can fully understand any caution in getting too enthusiastic with the latest batch of recruits. Of the ones brought in, only Dallas is known to me but I have much more faith in Mellon than I ever had in big Dave.

Tomorrow should be interesting in the line up and formation we put out against Barnet. Norwood and Dallas up front should be enough to put the frighteners on any non-league defence. 

1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:

It might not have been Latics fault for the delay. Sometimes there are last minute issues that need resolving before the signing can be announced, because you are right they did stretch it out a bit. Although it was well worth the wait.

I think the slight sense of anti-climax comes from all the rumours mean that it's no real surprise or shock, rather the player himself.

17 minutes ago, Wardie said:

Of the ones brought in, only Dallas is known to me but I have much more faith in Mellon than I ever had in big Dave.

I can't confess to knowing too much about the others either, although Conlon comes with ringing endorsements from Vale fans. The calibre of them feel better to me and even though three of them will go back to their parent clubs in the summer, we're seemingly arming ourselves to be able to hit the ground running in League Two when we get promoted.

One step at a time though. I really want to see us properly dismantle one or two teams at home so we can see the tangible improvments rather than talking about them.