Duncan Ferguson

Dungan Ferguson has been sacked by Forest Green following a run that saw Forest Green win just one match of the 18 he was in charge of, and subsequently  Forest Green were relegated.

https://www.fgr.co.uk/news/ferguson-departs-fgr

I know when Rhino arrived, quite a few were hoping for Duncan (myself included) instead. Unsworth certainly had a rocky start to life but it would seem Ferguson's went a bit deeper. Either way, in hindsight I'm glad we are where we are in relation to management.

2 hours ago, LT_SMASH said:

Dungan Ferguson has been sacked by Forest Green following a run that saw Forest Green win just one match of the 18 he was in charge of, and subsequently  Forest Green were relegated.

https://www.fgr.co.uk/news/ferguson-departs-fgr

I know when Rhino arrived, quite a few were hoping for Duncan (myself included) instead. Unsworth certainly had a rocky start to life but it would seem Ferguson's went a bit deeper. Either way, in hindsight I'm glad we are where we are in relation to management.

Big Dunc sacked. I wouldn’t fancy being the one who had to tell him

1 hour ago, whittles left foot said:

And he is replaced by the first female manager of a professional "male" club-good on her and best wishes.

I think it's quite likely she'll be an asterisk to someone else's claim to fame as I can't see her managing in the football league. Unless they sack someone mid-season as well.

Even so it's a bit of a glass ceiling broken. So good for her. FWIW I've edited your post as the women's PL is professional and there's a number of female coaches in that. I know Newcastle (3rd tier) have gone professional too so presumably the 2nd tier is mainly (at least) professional.

FGR's chairman may have other things on his mind given who he also funds.

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

Does Duncan Ferguson fall into the same category of Stuart Pearce I.e. people think he's going to be a good manager because he's an hard bastard but in reality you need abit more about you than that to cut it in that field.

No, his reputation as a potential good manager was formed at the same place as DU. Managing Everton's youth team to win trophies is the sort of thing that got you an EFL job years ago nevermind now with a more competitive youth system at the top level.

l just can't see a female manager working, not yet anyway. the game has changed massively but l can see lots of players not being comfortable atall and they will need to introduce like time zones or sumat. l mean, l cant even count the amount of times a gaffer has been tryna do a team talk whilst theres a couple of cocks and a few arse cheeks on show 🤣

fuckinell lve become my Grandad!!! l used to tell him it would happen way before 2030 and use the army as my proof, but now its happened lm not too sure it time.

of course the alt theory is that this is a dambusters moment leading to lots of the closetted homesexual players coming out out and equality will reign and it's a brave new world. but we aren't ready and this trailblazing club will spread its equality in the game about as rapidly as it has spread its veganism ..

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Does Duncan Ferguson fall into the same category of Stuart Pearce I.e. people think he's going to be a good manager because he's an hard bastard but in reality you need abit more about you than that to cut it in that field.

And Roy Keane.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

l just can't see a female manager working, not yet anyway. the game has changed massively but l can see lots of players not being comfortable atall and they will need to introduce like time zones or sumat.

I think you're wrong. They'll know privately that many within the game will be expecting her to fail and it'll probably be used as a device to drive them. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if it was a massive success. I hope it is personally. The game needs to break down misogyny, homophobia and racism and only success in these areas will make big strides in doing that. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I think you're wrong. They'll know privately that many within the game will be expecting her to fail and it'll probably be used as a device to drive them. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if it was a massive success. I hope it is personally. The game needs to break down misogyny, homophobia and racism and only success in these areas will make big strides in doing that. 

yes l agree and l want to be wrong please don't misconstrue my agent provocateur type approach, l just think its too soon and can imagine what the bitching will be like on the back of the bus from the older guys that get left out.

as a society we struggle with bathrooms and rainbow laces so l fear this is too soon. 

of course, there always needs to be a first and if forced to guess which club bit the bullett then it was always going to be these guys.

btw l consume a vegan diet a minimum of three days per week, my fb profile identifies as a strong, independent, middle aged woman of colour and lm a massif lesbian so l feel enabled to say such things

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Agreed. Female ref's assistants are fairly common place now and don't seem to draw much attention. Do we have female refs in the mens game yet? If not, that can't be far off either. These things always will not work or will have lots of problems until they happen and it turns out everything is fine.

2 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

But only appointing as caretaker doesn't smack of long term confidence 

14 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

But only appointing as caretaker doesn't smack of long term confidence 

Isn't it just that she's been put in caretaker charge now as they have a friendly match today? Presumably the hunt for full time coach is underway. She might be in the frame for the full time role when they make that appointment mind.

3 hours ago, Ackey said:

[Don't Bite. Don't Bite. Don't Bite.]

I think we can be pretty sure that the word manager comes from a completely different root from the word man, but after the police at Pride London were stopped from wearing the thin blue line badge because something completely unconnected but with similarities is used by far right groups in the US who knows if someone may be offended.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I think we can be pretty sure that the word manager comes from a completely different root from the word man, but after the police at Pride London were stopped from wearing the thin blue line badge because something completely unconnected but with similarities is used by far right groups in the US who knows if someone may be offended.

Someone will always be offended