BPAS PODCAST: 24th July '23, S4E1: with David Unsworth

6 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

A bit late, but I'm here.😀

These are last seasons Central League North results, some decent clubs in the league who managed

to find enough players to take part.

https://www.pnefc.net/matches/the-central-league/

i really like the B team plan but seems like they've assessed it and it's not for us just now.  I can see the logic and back their view

7 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

These are last seasons Central League North results, some decent clubs in the league who managed

That looks like 11 league games plus some cup games over the course of the season. From what DU was saying, that probably isn't enough game time. As there are a lower number of young players in the squad he explained that they train with the 1st team during the week then play weekly competitive football for their loan teams.  So as long as they can find loans and they get on the pitch then this way round gives them more match time which is key for development.  I think he also said he still wanted to do the B team thing, just that it wasn't the right thing to do right now.

A good listen.  I'm excited for the season to start.

George Edmunson to Rangers was the last first-teamer sold to another first team for reasonable money, wasn't he? One of the few things the Lenmsegams got right!

He comes across well, for the most part (not sure about the 62% stat - does that mean we had 50 players?? And he doesn't need to say he'll stay here as long as he's wanted - it's too big a call to make).

Hoping for a good start (which we should almost certainly should do at beleaguered Southend) to keep the positivity going. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

That looks like 11 league games plus some cup games over the course of the season. From what DU was saying, that probably isn't enough game time. As there are a lower number of young players in the squad he explained that they train with the 1st team during the week then play weekly competitive football for their loan teams.  So as long as they can find loans and they get on the pitch then this way round gives them more match time which is key for development.  I think he also said he still wanted to do the B team thing, just that it wasn't the right thing to do right now.

With us in it 14 league games plus their cups and the  Lancashire Senior Cup seems fine to me, but if the club want players idling and being paid for nothing like last season it's up to them. Not many businesses wouldn't operate that way, certainly not Frank's I'm sure.

Edited by BP1960

9 minutes ago, JoeP said:

A good listen.  I'm excited for the season to start.

George Edmunson to Rangers was the last first-teamer sold to another first team for reasonable money, wasn't he? One of the few things the Lenmsegams got right!

He comes across well, for the most part (not sure about the 62% stat - does that mean we had 50 players?? And he doesn't need to say he'll stay here as long as he's wanted - it's too big a call to make).

Hoping for a good start (which we should almost certainly should do at beleaguered Southend) to keep the positivity going. 

Southend have another friendly tonight so are getting up to speed.

11 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see us join something like that in the future because he did genuinely sound like a big fan of the 'B' team to be fair.

The hope has got to be that more scholars will make the grade in the future which will pad out the B team a bit.

4 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Southend have another friendly tonight so are getting up to speed.

We'll still be miles ahead of them in terms of rebuilding, so couldn't wish for an easier start...

56 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

With us in it 14 league games plus their cups and the  Lancashire Senior Cup seems fine to me, but if the club want players idling and being paid for nothing like last season it's up to them. Not many businesses wouldn't operate that way, certainly not Frank's I'm sure.

It won't be like last season though; last season we had two full squads

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

14 still doesn't compare favourably with 30/40 games the young players could get out on loan.  So the lack of a B team in a league shouldn't impact the youth players, but the squad players not getting a game or coming back from injury will need something. Maybe the club has decided they'd be better served with occasional friendlies when it suits rather than the rigidity of playing in a league.  Besides, it sounds like they've made a considered decision about what's best for the squad for this season rather than a long term scrapping of the plan.

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

We'll still be miles ahead of them in terms of rebuilding, so couldn't wish for an easier start...

Looking at the fixtures I’ll be well pissed off if we’re not heading to Chesterfield with three wins out of three

• Like 2

Really good listen that, some very good questions posed as it feels we got a real look at the inner workings rather than soundbites. He does come across as genuine. I thought the 62% comment could have meant the players carrying injuries rather than those ruled out of playing.  But what a stark contrast between when he started and where we are now in pretty much every department. Hopefully this will translate onto the pitch this season.  It really is exciting times to be heading into a season with the expectation of competing at the top!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

Looking at the fixtures I’ll be well pissed off if we’re not heading to Chesterfield with three wins out of three

Southend have cancelled Saturday's home friendly against Wimbledon in order to get the pitch ready to face Latics.

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

Correct, I realised that after we'd finished recording......

I thought the interview was open, friendly and very relaxed, with Unsworth coming across as likeable and with a clear picture of what he wants the team to achieve and how he wants them to play. Interesting in that he wants three more players in before the start of the season although I'm not convinced this will happen, without being really sure of why.

As others have already said, it is in stark contrast to last season and therefore the expectations of the fans will be higher. I certainly don't expect a smooth or easy ride, I don't expect Latics will be competing at the top all season but live in hope that a steady progress will see them somewhere near, come the end of the season. Of course, like all of us, I desperately want promotion.

I do believe Unsworth is going to be a long-term manager regardless of how this season pans out. From the info in the podcast, I personally feel a lot happier regarding the health and security of the club and its team of players and staff alike. I really wish I could be at BP a lot more than I am able to because I feel like I am missing out on my club's regeneration. I will get to some games, with my friend's help and hopefully the TV package will make up for it.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Southend have cancelled Saturday's home friendly against Wimbledon in order to get the pitch ready to face Latics.

Without wanting to derail the thread...

I'm not sure how prepared the pitch will be. They are relying on goodwill, the staff haven't been paid for 4 months. Be surprised if they have any petrol for the mowers.

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Last season we had 35 players. This season, at the moment, we have 21, I think 18 are named in a match day squad from which to pick 16 so that leaves only 3 available players + academy players who have their own league fixtures.

That’s also providing everyone is fully fit!!

How do you propose it would work?

3 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Come on BP, you're better than that. Of course that's not what the club want. I'm sure they are doing the right thing by youth/squad players for the season ahead. And 14 games would be pathetically few - I can still remember playing way more games than that at school for goodness' sake!

19 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Come on BP, you're better than that. Of course that's not what the club want. I'm sure they are doing the right thing by youth/squad players for the season ahead. And 14 games would be pathetically few - I can still remember playing way more games than that at school for goodness' sake!

Agreed. Plus the fact that there will be injuries to players so the full squad is unlikely to be wholly functional all the time. 

Aren’t there quite a lot of scheduled midweek matches this season? That would mean less available players for a B team. 

The club has obviously thought this through and I’m prepared to accept their decision as being a sensible one . 
I couldn’t help but notice that the Central League fixtures were , with the exception of Wrexham, all by EFL clubs. Different resources and set ups to us, 

11 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

Agreed. Plus the fact that there will be injuries to players so the full squad is unlikely to be wholly functional all the time. 

Aren’t there quite a lot of scheduled midweek matches this season? That would mean less available players for a B team. 

The club has obviously thought this through and I’m prepared to accept their decision as being a sensible one . 
I couldn’t help but notice that the Central League fixtures were , with the exception of Wrexham, all by EFL clubs. Different resources and set ups to us, 

Imagine how our shadow squad from last season may have got on against the reserve sides from Championship clubs

1 hour ago, LaticsPete said:

And I thought we were a big club.

1 hour ago, Worcester Owl said:

Why do other clubs partake in the league then?

9 month season, at least 48 games. So at least 8 weeks where we will play midweek, even if we fail to progress in either cup, or with no postponements.

Given we're hoping for a run in both cup competitions and last season tells us there will be postponements, because of weather and because opponents are unavailable because of cup fixtures, it's going to be a squad game this season.