BPAS PODCAST: 24th July '23, S4E1: with David Unsworth

We're back!

As Oldham fans look forward to a season at the right end of the table for a change, Matt & Andy sit down for a chat with Latics first team manager David Unsworth. The gaffer tells us about his first 12 months in charge, his ambitions for the season and his aspirations to manage the club for many years to come.

If you'd like to be a fan guest on the show over the coming season, please contact us either on here or via our socials.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Matt featured this topic
15 minutes ago, ceskylatic said:

Interesting to hear DU wants 3 more signings in. Safe to say one is a right back and one a winger. Wondering where else he wants bolstering.

Do we have anyone to compete with Kitching?  Seems like we have quite few natural centre backs who can do a job at right back, less so on the other side?

Great listen. 3 signings will make this a very competitive squad. All the excess are gone now with Rooney confirmed to be out the door.

Confirmed we wanted Dallas, so presume one of the three signings is another striker. Then a right back and winger I’d imagine. 
Cleared up the Yarney situation. Considering Yarney only got a one year deal at Tranmere I don’t think his gamble paid off. 

The state of our club before Frank came sounds like an absolute joke. Championship and League 1 players want to join us. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Great listen. 3 signings will make this a very competitive squad. All the excess are gone now with Rooney confirmed to be out the door.

Confirmed we wanted Dallas, so presume one of the three signings is another striker. Then a right back and winger I’d imagine. 
Cleared up the Yarney situation. Considering Yarney only got a one year deal at Tranmere I don’t think his gamble paid off. 

The state of our club before Frank came sounds like an absolute joke. Championship and League 1 players want to join us. 

Dallas plays on the wing

5 hours ago, ceskylatic said:

Interesting to hear DU wants 3 more signings in. Safe to say one is a right back and one a winger. Wondering where else he wants bolstering.

Wants and gets are two clearly different thinks. I suspect he'll be allowed one more signing. He should have enough at his disposal as it is to mount a promotion charge.

RWB as good as Kitching would pretty much do it for me. Possibly a creative midfielder too, if we're being greedy.

Onto the podcast, I enjoyed it for the one or two insights we'd not normally get. Closure to the Dallas question for example, and a bit more meat on the bones to the challenges of a massively unfit squad and the state of the facilities on arrived (although possibly overegging it slightly). I do think he likes to embellish the truth somewhat. His 62% injured squad seemed like an arbitrary made up thing that politicians like to throw in to make people think they know what they're talking about. I don't have a problem with that as such. I think managers and coaches now are conditioned to 'gild the lily', so to speak. Speaking to journalists and the media is something that's saturated in the modern game. 25 years ago it was a quick interview with the local rag's hack and that was it.

He clearly has a good working relationship with the Royles and the Rothwells and knows pressure to deliver is on. It was a nice little amuse bouche ahead of the new season a week on Saturday.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Wants and gets are two clearly different thinks. I suspect he'll be allowed one more signing. He should have enough at his disposal as it is to mount a promotion charge.

RWB as good as Kitching would pretty much do it for me. Possibly a creative midfielder too, if we're being greedy.

Onto the podcast, I enjoyed it for the one or two insights we'd not normally get. Closure to the Dallas question for example, and a bit more meat on the bones to the challenges of a massively unfit squad and the state of the facilities on arrived (although possibly overegging it slightly). I do think he likes to embellish the truth somewhat. His 62% injured squad seemed like an arbitrary made up thing that politicians like to throw in to make people think they know what they're talking about. I don't have a problem with that as such. I think managers and coaches now are conditioned to 'gild the lily', so to speak. Speaking to journalists and the media is something that's saturated in the modern game. 25 years ago it was a quick interview with the local rag's hack and that was it.

He clearly has a good working relationship with the Royles and the Rothwells and knows pressure to deliver is on. It was a nice little amuse bouche ahead of the new season a week on Saturday.

Yeah, as a chat and catch up I really enjoyed it- and he seemed far more  honest and relaxed than he did at the fans forums. Probably due to the one on one nature of the pod. 

I think there is analysis paralysis with him/fan reaction/his relationship with the fans, and Matt nailed it in the middle of conversation. . . 

‘Just win games, and the fans will be fine’ 

Spot on. 

That works both ways though. 

If he does struggle , fans won’t he happy.

It was ever thus. 

I just hope we don’t see some fans aren’t jumping on others if they have the temerity to ask questions if/when he’s struggling. Equally he deserves to be left alone if he’s going well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Yeah, as a chat and catch up I really enjoyed it- and he seemed far more  honest and relaxed than he did at the fans forums. Probably due to the one on one nature of the pod. 

.....could also have something to do with the preparation for how to conduct the interview & how to frame the questions! :D

• Like 1

Enjoyed that!

He comes across as a good bloke Unsworth, and I really hope he succeeds.

By his own admission on that pod, he has everything he needs. Good foundations, the best CEO, good facilities, a good budget and good players. He has to have a good season, simple as that.

Edited by Gaz_Oafc
  • Like 2

I had a crap day at work and it has really cheered me up listening to that, well done Matt and Andy. Unsy sounds quietly confident and what's going on around the club and the ground just sounds brilliant. I am so excited about the new season, I'm bought into the potential for something special happening. Only 12 more sleeps to go.

• Like 1

Great management structure in place

Wants 3 players

No B team next season

All players who will not be part of the squad have moved out

Young players out on loan

Believes that the fans backing the club will make a huge difference

Reasons to be cheerful 👍

1 minute ago, TheBigDog said:

Great management structure in place

Wants 3 players

No B team next season

All players who will not be part of the squad have moved out

Young players out on loan

Believes that the fans backing the club will make a huge difference

Reasons to be cheerful 👍

Did he give any reason why the B team has been binned off, as that was one of the first thing he mentioned he was going to introduce when he got here

8 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

Did he give any reason why the B team has been binned off, as that was one of the first thing he mentioned he was going to introduce when he got here

Basically said we haven't enough players to facilitate a B team as we've less scholars than previous seasons and a more compact first team squad.