Unsworth Out

1 hour ago, Can Neil Redfearn Do It said:

Not sure management teams particularly look to scouts when recruiting seasoned pros..

They used to do  when I worked personally for some.

But back in my day there were no computers to tick all the boxes when searching for players, also very few agents constantly trying to convince managers their clients are just what he needs.

7 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

There's planning for things that are likely to happen and then things that are so unlikely there's probably a 1 in a 1,000 chance it will happen. Needing a midfielder to replace Gardner, likely, so should have a plan for that. I'd rather 5 outfield players to ensure we can cover various other positions than a keeper that will sit there and offer no option

You reckon a keeper gets injured or sent off once every thousand games. Righto

• Like 1

I'm not going over the points made by many for Unsworth out, I think 99.9% of the fanbase can see he's not the man to take us forward. However, I think there are some big issues that need addressing when they do eventually get rid. We must have the biggest backroom staff in the league, I get it was put in place as part of a long term plan but are these all Unsworth's men? It could get very expensive having to get rid of the lot. It's clearly not working, recruitment as i've said before seems very scatter gun, (the subs bench yesterday showed that) Mick Rathbone was brought in to improve fitness and psychology apparently but have we seen any real improvement in that area? We were going to have a B team but that's been shelved. I realise Jeffers has gone but Nicky Adams seems to have replaced him to a certain extent, we've got all these stats experts but there is one stat staring them in the face. There has clearly been a big investment in the infrastructure but is it all necessary at this level and was it put together at the request of Unsworth? A new manager will want his own people in place but I do believe it would be beneficial to scrap the whole process, get rid of the majority of them and go back to basics with a manager and his own small team. I admire the thought process but it just seems over the top for the level we are at and there could be an accusation that the players have been somewhat spoilt and started to believe they were on a far higher level than they actually are which may have resulted in complacency on the pitch which is where it ultimately matters.

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, PeteG said:

I'm not going over the points made by many for Unsworth out, I think 99.9% of the fanbase can see he's not the man to take us forward. However, I think there are some big issues that need addressing when they do eventually get rid. We must have the biggest backroom staff in the league, I get it was put in place as part of a long term plan but are these all Unsworth's men? It could get very expensive having to get rid of the lot. It's clearly not working, recruitment as i've said before seems very scatter gun, (the subs bench yesterday showed that) Mick Rathbone was brought in to improve fitness and psychology apparently but have we seen any real improvement in that area? We were going to have a B team but that's been shelved. I realise Jeffers has gone but Nicky Adams seems to have replaced him to a certain extent, we've got all these stats experts but there is one stat staring them in the face. There has clearly been a big investment in the infrastructure but is it all necessary at this level and was it put together at the request of Unsworth? A new manager will want his own people in place but I do believe it would be beneficial to scrap the whole process, get rid of the majority of them and go back to basics with a manager and his own small team. I admire the thought process but it just seems over the top for the level we are at and there could be an accusation that the players have been somewhat spoilt and started to believe they were on a far higher level than they actually are which may have resulted in complacency on the pitch which is where it ultimately matters.

Having infrastructure in place for the league we want to be in rather than the one we’re in now is a good thing. 

Not sure what you’re saying about the staff. When any club sacks its manager does it have to sack all its physios, scouts, data analysts etc? 

The one thing the club could do worse than sacking Unsworth is sacking Unsworth and giving it to Ebbrell.

Full clear out needed.  I'm sceptical about this "stats" system to pick players.  It's about managing personalities as much as it is attributes.  Let the manager pick the players he wants, he can pick a team as he and he only sees fit and there can then be no diluting of responsibility.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Having infrastructure in place for the league we want to be in rather than the one we’re in now is a good thing. 

Not sure what you’re saying about the staff. When any club sacks its manager does it have to sack all its physios, scouts, data analysts etc? 

I didn't say physio, the same girl has been at the club for a good few years now, but yes, when a manager gets the sack, there's usually a few who follow him out of the door. A new manager might not want to follow a stats based recruitment process. It's just an opinion that it might just be a bigger decision than usual given what has been put in place in the last 12 months. If it was a case of just replacing Unsworth and Ebrell, I do think Frank would have pulled the trigger by now.

1 minute ago, PeteG said:

I didn't say physio, the same girl has been at the club for a good few years now, but yes, when a manager gets the sack, there's usually a few who follow him out of the door. A new manager might not want to follow a stats based recruitment process. It's just an opinion that it might just be a bigger decision than usual given what has been put in place in the last 12 months. If it was a case of just replacing Unsworth and Ebrell, I do think Frank would have pulled the trigger by now.

For me I’d prefer a structure that the manager (or head coach) is part of. Rather than a structure and culture dictated by whoever is manager. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

For me I’d prefer a structure that the manager (or head coach) is part of. Rather than a structure and culture dictated by whoever is manager. 

Agreed but not all managers will want that. I want a manager who gives us the best chance of success on the pitch tbh.

1 hour ago, PeteG said:

There has clearly been a big investment in the infrastructure but is it all necessary at this level and was it put together at the request of Unsworth?

So did we need new floodlights? YES

So did we need a new pitch, bear in mind there is a need to accommodate The Roughyeds. YES.

Do we need upgraded Little Wembley and provide a community facility. YES.

Does Chapel Rd need upgrading. YES.

They are trying to bring the club up to a standard that supports a club in a higher league. A legacy that needed correcting after the shit show your lot left behind.

Really do you have to try to connect this to Unsworth? Any manager would be hoping/expecting these kind of improvements-as should the fanbase.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

So did we need new floodlights? YES

So did we need a new pitch, bear in mind there is a need to accommodate The Roughyeds. YES.

Do we need upgraded Little Wembley and provide a community facility. YES.

Does Chapel Rd need upgrading. YES.

They are trying to bring the club up to a standard that supports a club in a higher league. A legacy that needed correcting after the shit show your lot left behind.

Really do you have to try to connect this to Unsworth? Any manager would be hoping/expecting these kind of improvements-as should the fanbase.

I was clearly talking about the football staff. If you read into what i've actually wrote you will see that i'm defending the board by suggesting it's much more complex than just sacking a manager. There is no agenda here.

10 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

There's planning for things that are likely to happen and then things that are so unlikely there's probably a 1 in a 1,000 chance it will happen. Needing a midfielder to replace Gardner, likely, so should have a plan for that. I'd rather 5 outfield players to ensure we can cover various other positions than a keeper that will sit there and offer no option

Exactly, with only 5 subs available you've got to balance covering possibilities with the impact that sub could have. The amount of times you're likely to go to the sub GK is minimal, less than once a season I'd say. So even though the impact of the sub GK would be very high, the fact he'd only be of use on very rare circumstances lowers the impact over the course of a season. Compare that to an outfielder who can impact every game and it's a no brainer for me. 

Obviously if you're a one (or arguably none) dimensional garbage terrible manager who forgets to use his subs on a weekly basis like unsy then none of this even matters and you might as well carry on sticking every striker in the club on the bench.

Point is if I was manager I'd back myself to get more out of 5 outfield options over the course of a season than I'd lose not having the GK sub...

36 minutes ago, diggleblue said:

German coach sacked. Only 12 wins in 25 matches.Failed to win in last 5 games. What's our leaders record?

He's got to go.Shame he doesn't have the decency to walk now before going by mutual consent in a few weeks time.

He wants his 6 month pay out!!

1 hour ago, diggleblue said:

German coach sacked. Only 12 wins in 25 matches.Failed to win in last 5 games. What's our leaders record?

He's got to go.Shame he doesn't have the decency to walk now before going by mutual consent in a few weeks time.

Just checked. D.U record of 14 wins in 50 games in charge! How shit is that?

2 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Plucked a number. When did we last need one?

We got very lucky v Halifax (h) when Norman got injured in the warm up. Hudson wasn’t named as a sub that game but the rules allowed Hudson to swap in. That injury happens after KO & we’re screwed. Still lost though.

Bradford (a) a few seasons ago we stuck with an injured keeper which cost us. I think we actually had a keeper on the bench that day but he was an untried kid so we didn’t make the change. Now that was a waste of a sub keeper on the bench.

4 minutes ago, Sloshed Joe said:

We got very lucky v Halifax (h) when Norman got injured in the warm up. Hudson wasn’t named as a sub that game but the rules allowed Hudson to swap in. That injury happens after KO & we’re screwed. Still lost though.

Bradford (a) a few seasons ago we stuck with an injured keeper which cost us. I think we actually had a keeper on the bench that day but he was an untried kid so we didn’t make the change. Now that was a waste of a sub keeper on the bench.

Don’t talk sense!!😆

• Like 1

The Unsworth family told me last year in the boxes against Chester that he had been promised he would have until the end of this season at least, but I'm extremely concerned that they haven't pulled the trigger. There comes a point where blind faith becomes negligent and I don't think we are too far from that right now...

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

The Unsworth family told me last year in the boxes against Chester that he had been promised he would have until the end of this season at least, but I'm extremely concerned that they haven't pulled the trigger. There comes a point where blind faith becomes negligent and I don't think we are too far from that right now...

I doubt the board would have foreseen  how bad the results have been this last few weeks though. They must realise the best he would probably do is keep us up which was the aim last season allegedly 

1 minute ago, True Tic said:

I doubt the board would have foreseen  how bad the results have been this last few weeks though.

This. And to be fair to them, the form of the 2nd half of last season would have suggested he'd be able to have us a lot further up the table now so it would have seemed a relatively safe promise.

8 minutes ago, True Tic said:

I doubt the board would have foreseen  how bad the results have been this last few weeks though. They must realise the best he would probably do is keep us up which was the aim last season allegedly 

Not sure the results have been that bad considering some of the opposition.

The level of performances in the home games since Aldershot should have the alarm bells ringing though.

21 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

The run of games starting with Dorking needed a minimum of 4 wins out of 6 - now 4 out of 5. He needs wins now or the change has to be made. On the flip side if we do go on a winning streak then we're up and running 🤞.

48 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Why any employer would make that promise is negligent in itself. Nobody can give that sort of guarantee because any business, football included is results based.