BPAS PODCAST: 14th Aug ‘23, S4E4: Fantastic Latics

We were all hoping for a response after last weeks poor opening performance against Southend. It's fair to say we got one. 
Find all our links ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠here⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠!

You can support the pod by paying a monthly subscription of just £2.99 via this link ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/oafcpodcast/subscribe⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠. 

All the regular episodes will remain free to everyone but only subscribers can access an audio only version of the Latics Football Phone In as a podcast from Friday morning at 6am and listen to both shows ad free.

If you'd like to advertise on the show, please email info@oafcpodcast.co.uk
If you'd like to make a one off donation, you can now also Buy Us A Coffee by clicking ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠here⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠

You can also support us by visiting ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠https://www.oafcpodcast.co.uk⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠, subscribing to our mailing list and purchasing from our online shop.

Please subscribe to our ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠YouTube channel⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠ to watch the Latics Football Phone In live every Wednesday from 8.30pm.

Download and listen to the podcast via the FanHub app, where content creators and fans alike are rewarded for getting involved #ctg.

BPAS and Latics Football Phone In are ⁠⁠⁠KUPOD⁠⁠⁠ productions.

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.com

Edited by BPAS

• BPAS changed the title to BPAS PODCAST: 14th Aug ‘23, S4E4: Fantastic Latics

Great listen as usual boys. 

I think the Unsy debate is made needlessly complex. 

He’s a football manager whose sole job is get to results. Up to Christmas, he wasn’t doing it- and rightly in my view came under big pressure. He then turned results around to take the pressure off. 

I’d love to play like Saturday every week, (hopefully we can) but as long as we win I don’t really care. Nobody can have a go at him for winning ugly or not how they want because ultimately that’s his job. But equally if he goes on a sustained bad run he’ll rightly under big pressure again.

Theres far to much entrenched views on both sides, and an element where both sides want to be proved right. 

Personally, I will judge him purely on results- because again, that’s his sole focus. If he’s doing ok/decent leave him to it. If he’s not- questions rightly should be asked. 

No manager deserves time without results. (Unless you’ve got big credit in the bank like a promotion) 

• Like 4

Enjoyable listen chaps as usual.

Even thought Unsworth came across well in Dave's interview in the main

I'd be interested to know your thoughts though about his comments on Southend, and him implying we were the better team early on and had 6 great chances I think v their 3 ( maybe I heard this wrong). We got mullered in the first 20 mins full stop.

They could have been 3 or 4 up, and bar Norwoods chance early on we created nothing from my memory and hardly had the ball!

If he can learn to cut out the shite from his interviews and just be honest....which he was apart from that comment, he will get more fans on side and we may actually get to like him!🙂

Edited by Londonboy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Enjoyable listen chaps as usual.

Even thought Unsworth came across well in Dave's interview in the main

I'd be interested to know your thoughts though about his comments on Southend, and him implying we were the better team early on and had 6 great chances I think v their 3 ( maybe I heard this wrong). We got mullered in the first 20 mins full stop.

They could have been 3 or 4 up, and bar Norwoods chance early on we created nothing from my memory and hardly had the ball!

If he can learn to cut out the shite from his interviews and just be honest....which he was apart from that comment, he will get more fans on side and we may actually get to like him!🙂

Yeah... I liked the "stop thinking that shit" comment and support the sentiment.

No-one on the pod really mentioned the fact that the culture of thinking we'll concede/lose late has mainly come about on the back of last season. Happened so many times that it's not really a surprise people got a bit nervous at 3-1 Saturday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, longtimeblue said:

Yeah... I liked the "stop thinking that shit" comment and support the sentiment.

No-one on the pod really mentioned the fact that the culture of thinking we'll concede/lose late has mainly come about on the back of last season. Happened so many times that it's not really a surprise people got a bit nervous at 3-1 Saturday.

I’m sure I looked at the stats on this and found that we had positive results when you looked at the last 15 mins of games last season. So although it did happen occasionally (eg altrincham) the overall pattern was we won more points than we lost in the last 15 mins of games. I think we were top 6 or something like that. 

anybody who hates Rhino for his press conferences (and slightly faster mouth than brain) needs to listen to his interview with Dave and let us know if they they don't even like that one, so we can indelibly mark them as Twonks.

Matt, may l ask how long you debated taking that out? lm so glad, grateful, chuffed you didn't.

Edited by Monty Burns
  • Like 1

Keep up the good work lads,

Loved every minute of it, especially Dave's lifting of the pressure cooker lid during that brief interview 🤣

From bad to good, now which ways it going to be tomorrow night?

Please be another solid performance and 3 points, then on to the clash of the Titan's :imnotworthy:

1 minute ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Keep up the good work lads,

Loved every minute of it, especially Dave's lifting of the pressure cooker lid during that brief interview 🤣

From bad to good, now which ways it going to be tomorrow night?

Please be another solid performance and 3 points, then on to the clash of the Titan's :imnotworthy:

all week he just needs to ask 'which one do we like better lads bc youve done both types of performance now?' and ram the message home in training to Nuttall about having an angry face to make the fanz happy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

all week he just needs to ask 'which one do we like better lads bc youve done both types of performance now?' and ram the message home in training to Nuttall about having an angry face to make the fanz happy.

I can't explain just what a difference it makes to my own life, let alone others,

Still on a massive high from Saturday, happy inside out but that's what's been lacking.

I've said it before, I couldn't care less who's incharge as long as we're competitive and heading towards the summit, another 3 points tomorrow night and our ears will be popping 

2 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

I can't explain just what a difference it makes to my own life, let alone others,

Still on a massive high from Saturday, happy inside out but that's what's been lacking.

I've said it before, I couldn't care less who's incharge as long as we're competitive and heading towards the summit, another 3 points tomorrow night and our ears will be popping 

l understand. so many saturday afternoons tryna uncrush my faith in the fairness of the universe at about half 5. in the rain somewhere!!

everybody has been taking it all out on David.

3 hours ago, League one forever said:

Theres far to much entrenched views on both sides, and an element where both sides want to be proved right. 

No manager deserves time without results. (Unless you’ve got big credit in the bank like a promotion) 

Yes and yes.

Having slept on it and thinking of another way to articulate it - it all comes down to football's favourite friend - money!

I don't buy into the "turning the battleship around" analogy.  The battleship was facing the right way and on course once Frank brought out the Lemsegems, cleared the debts and gave Unsworth a budget.

In most of the leagues, it's basically the team that spends the most that is expected to do the best (which is why the bookies has/had us as second favourites).  Regardless of how shit the previous ownership has been, the fact we've attracted and can afford to pay the likes of James Norwood has not only shown the club has recovered, but surpassed many other clubs in our league who have been a steadier ship in recent years.  Results are the minimum we should expect, but I think we should be doing it in a way we can enjoy too.  Not every week, obviously but there should definitely be more days like Aldershot than Southend...or even Yeovil at home last season say, which was the worst "win" I think we've ever had!

Edited by JoeP

6 hours ago, League one forever said:

equally if he goes on a sustained bad run he’ll rightly under big pressure again.

What do you class as a sustained bad run? Because it took one defeat and you were after his head less than a week ago.

Just want to be clear on whether sustained is one or 5 five...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Because it took one defeat and you were after his head less than a week ago.

Oh dear. 😂🤦🏻‍♂️

See this is what you do Fluff, you create narratives in your head to suit your entrenched agenda of fan bashing. Which in reality is just people having an opinion on what they’re watching. 

At no point did I call for his head- what I did say was, it was absolutely brainless to start with a formation that put him under massive pressure last season with 3 wins in 17. I couldn’t understand why he wouldn’t play 442 which brought results and gave us the third best form in the league.  He completely shot himself in the foot. I even started a new thread called ‘the banishing of 352’ you’ll remember because you posted on it- saying it had nothing to do with the formation. . . . days later (and credit to Unsy) he does go back to what works in 442 and would you believe it- we win. So before you post absolute bollocks about what you think people are saying - re read what was actually said. 

In answer to your question, if he had a similar run to last season - say 2/3 wins over 15ish games he’s under big pressure. However if he’s got anything about him though, he’ll keep to 442 and with the quality of the squad- he wont struggle and will be absolutely fine. 

• Like 2

Some interesting points, but it seems it was ok for them to criticise last week after the Southend debacle, but everyone should show patience now.

The Phil Parkinson facts were way off also. He got Colchester promoted to the Championship long before his Bradford promotion, and did the same with Bolton before he went to Wrexham.

One last thing. Can you go one episode without mentioning Abdallah. He’s gone, get over it.

• Like 1

Just now, deyres42 said:

It was, nothing newsworthy has happened since unless I've missed it?

Not really, some fans got excited at the weekend and thought we might go a run, but we’re entitled when we lose and entitled when we win.  So I’m hoping for a draw tomorrow to settle the entitledness down for day or two. 

21 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Oh dear. 😂🤦🏻‍♂️

See this is what you do Fluff, you create narratives in your head to suit your entrenched agenda of fan bashing. Which in reality is just people having an opinion on what they’re watching. 

At no point did I call for his head- what I did say was, it was absolutely brainless to start with a formation that put him under massive pressure last season with 3 wins in 17. I couldn’t understand why he wouldn’t play 442 which brought results and gave us the third best form in the league.  He completely shot himself in the foot. I even started a new thread called ‘the banishing of 352’ you’ll remember because you posted on it- saying it had nothing to do with the formation. . . . days later (and credit to Unsy) he does go back to what works in 442 and would you believe it- we win. So before you post absolute bollocks about what you think people are saying - re read what was actually said. 

In answer to your question, if he had a similar run to last season - say 2/3 wins over 15ish games he’s under big pressure. However if he’s got anything about him though, he’ll keep to 442 and with the quality of the squad- he wont struggle and will be absolutely fine. 

OK, so you won't call for him to be sacked unless he has a poor 15 game run. Sound. 

6 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

OK, so you won't call for him to be sacked unless he has a poor 15 game run. Sound. 

Genuinely- Do you think that’s unreasonable, given the size of the club in league and our budget? 

If you do, how badly would he or any manager have to do for you to ask questions? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcfluff1985 said:

What do you class as a sustained bad run? Because it took one defeat and you were after his head less than a week ago.

Just want to be clear on whether sustained is one or 5 five...

Lose tomorrow night and get pasted Saturday and we're not even back to square one, win both and we're well on track but over his tenure so far, it's still game by game.

He hasn't earned the right because of a flash in the pan result Saturday 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Genuinely- Do you think that’s unreasonable, given the size of the club in league and our budget? 

If you do, how badly would he or any manager have to do for you to ask questions? 

I think 15 games is fair. I said 10/15 games before Saturday and got shot down by plenty because that's a quarter of a season. You sure you didn't want him gone before Saturdays game, after 1 game this season?

9 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

I think 15 games is fair. I said 10/15 games before Saturday and got shot down by plenty because that's a quarter of a season. You sure you didn't want him gone before Saturdays game, after 1 game this season?

Fair enough.

Yes definitely- IMO he earned a run after the second half of last season. That’s why I was so shocked/pissed off he didn’t stick with what was working for him at Southend. But as I’ve said, credit where it’s due he hasn’t stuck in his head in the sand and been stubborn. He’s quickly rectified it- hopefully he kicks on now. 

• Like 1