The Next Oldham Manager

32 minutes ago, singe said:

On the other hand Unsworth didn't give a fuck what people thought and still played turgid football, based on defence without any decent defensive positioning.

Then he can live with that he was sacked on his own terms. 

Either way their is very high chance the next manager will be sacked, at some point its the nature of the job so they may aswell just be themselves as they have better chance of success that way.

Do you think that he would survived if we lost 5-4 to Solihull or 4-3 to Bromley knowone wants to see that. The results drive the narrative the fans turned on Unsworth because of results he gotvsacked because of results. Do it your own way and make the best of it.

Edited by GlossopLatic

2 hours ago, AlanGrovesFanClub said:

Very nice to watch, and I do like the approach, however I feel that anyone significantly better than Kidderminster would have scored about 3 in the first 30 seconds. 

Absolutely, all well that ends well, but I'd put that st a 50% chance of ending very badly, and 0.05% at ending like it did.

The opposition were absolute spectators.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Sure to be at least a dozen off here !  😁

I'm hanging on for something bigger.  😉

Our spies should be out in force on Saturday. 

There should be lots of interested managers watching from the stands.

Let's see how many get spotted.

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

Then he can live with that he was sacked on his own terms. 

Either way their is very high chance the next manager will be sacked, at some point its the nature of the job so they may aswell just be themselves as they have better chance of success that way.

Do you think that he would survived if we lost 5-4 to Solihull or 4-3 to Bromley knowone wants to see that. The results drive the narrative the fans turned on Unsworth because of results he gotvsacked because of results. Do it your own way and make the best of it.

Eh?

He did do it his way for the most part, he started 352 then 433/451 and couldn’t win a game- he then ‘stumbled’ on 442 and form turned. . 

He then went back to what he wanted this season with 352- and got spanked.  Then went 433/451 again and couldn’t win a game. 

I agree that any manager needs a style of play- but they also need to be adaptable. The problem he had- he wasn’t good enough to coach his style so had to change it to avoid relegation. 

It’s bollocks he changed it because fans chanted or he bowed to fan pressure, he changed it because he couldn’t a win a game- resented it, and went back to his style. 

I asked it time and time again. 

Why wouldn’t you play a formation that wins games? Because he wouldn’t adapt and was insistence on his tactics. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, trickyrickyholden said:

Absolutely, all well that ends well, but I'd put that st a 50% chance of ending very badly, and 0.05% at ending like it did.

The opposition were absolute spectators.

Their approach has seem them score 24 times this season. I wouldn’t mind watching some of that.

2 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Eh?

He did do it his way for the most part, he started 352 then 433/451 and couldn’t win a game- he then ‘stumbled’ on 442 and form turned. . 

He then went back to what he wanted this season with 352- and got spanked.  Then went 433/451 again and couldn’t win a game. 

I agree that any manager needs a style of play- but they also need to be adaptable. The problem he had- he wasn’t good enough to coach his style so had to change it to avoid relegation. 

It’s bollocks he changed it because fans chanted or he bowed to fan pressure, he changed it because he couldn’t a win a game- resented it, and went back to his style. 

Why wouldn’t you play a formation that wins games? Because he wouldn’t adapt and was insistence on his tactics. 

Correct, he wasn't up to it

Thankfully they'll be no more of that nonsense and a new dawn is very much upon us.

We need a good man at the helm and I'm sure we'll get one

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

Their approach has seem them score 24 times this season. I wouldn’t mind watching some of that.

I agree, was just looking at the first half of that particular video and found the playing around at the back rather scary. Perhaps they only do it when they can get away with it, e.g. against Kidderminster. 

52 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Eh?

But clearly he would adapt. Just not very effectively!

11 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

But clearly he would adapt. Just not very effectively!

There’s a difference between adapting and having change forced on you. 

One is a choice, the other isn’t. 

If had adapted he would’ve owned the change to 442 and welcomed it. Instead he ‘stumbled on something’  and as soon at it got him safe he reverted back to his style. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, League one forever said:

There’s a difference between adapting and having change forced on you. 

One is a choice, the other isn’t. 

If had adapted he would’ve owned the change to 442 and welcomed it. Instead he ‘stumbled on something’  and as soon at it got him safe he reverted back to his style. 

352, 442, 433, 532... He wasn't shy of adapting 

Cheltenham looking for a new manager.... some selected odds from their betting market:

Graham Coughlan (Newport) & Steve Cotterill 5/4 jf

Stephen Clemence 6/1

Darrell Clarke & Danny Cowley 14/1

Pete Wild, Mike Williamson & Micky Mellon all 25/1

6 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

352, 442, 433, 532... He wasn't shy of adapting 

3 of them produced the same result 

One didn’t. 

He played the 3 that didn’t 80% of the time. 

He played the one that worked 20% of time and then ditched it. 

All the formations produced the same type of performance. 

The original point was- he listened to fans and didn’t go out on his sword.

I think that’s nonsense. He had a style, aka - Rhinoball; every performance was the same, and the only time the results changed was in a formation he didn’t want to play. He got sacked for because his preferred style of play couldn’t generate results. 

3 minutes ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

Cheltenham looking for a new manager.... some selected odds from their betting market:

Graham Coughlan (Newport) & Steve Cotterill 5/4 jf

Stephen Clemence 6/1

Darrell Clarke & Danny Cowley 14/1

Pete Wild, Mike Williamson & Micky Mellon all 25/1

Wouldn’t surprise me if they look at Wild. 

• Like 1