The Next Oldham Manager

29 minutes ago, Summerdeep said:

This is interesting and a bit worrying at the same time. It was a pretty explosive state of affairs in the boardroom at the end of the Ken Bates era, and again during the John Lowe v Harry Massey period in early 1972, but this has the potential to be equally destructive, at least if I'm reading that stuff quoted from Twitter correctly.

It's pretty clear that this person along with his little bitch who posts on here are deliberately trying to shit stir and its done because they are bitter and jealous of the Rothwells.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Say what you want but there is a split on the appointment at board level and that's not come from Barry Owen as some are suggesting but from members of staff. Reading between the lines, Frank wants to give it ST whilst others don't.

If that’s true.

Then I’ll back Franks Judgement over Darren’s this time, and probably forever more after Unsworth. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Say what you want but there is a split on the appointment at board level and that's not come from Barry Owen as some are suggesting but from members of staff. Reading between the lines, Frank wants to give it ST whilst others don't.

If that's true then I have no issue with it. I'm glad there are differing opinions on the board and I'd imagine they're all grown up about it to challenge each other, discuss reasonably and come to an agreement.

Much rather that than the board be a bunch of nodding dogs kissing the arse of a despot owner.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

This wants nipping in the Bud….there is no way club staff should be divulging confidential information to all and sundry!!

It's quite normal that differences of opinion in the boardroom on issues like this to exist, abit of healthy conflict is fine and I imagine far worse things exist in every boardroom of every football club and indeed every business in the country. If we see people resigning I will start to worry.

But right now looking at the people who this is Coming from it's coming from people who have their own agenda and don't care about the football club. So I will trust the board will come to a decision soon.

Edited by GlossopLatic

33 minutes ago, Summerdeep said:

On a point of information, I have no idea who Barry Owen is either.

😎

This site needs some better emojis as well.....

How splendid.

Rather reminds me of the High Court judge presiding over a case involving football. He stopped proceedings and enquired bemusedly , ' What is a Gazza?'

On other matters, I am very interested in the boardroom schisms you mention from another age and look forward to reading about them when you have the time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Summerdeep said:

This is interesting and a bit worrying at the same time. It was a pretty explosive state of affairs in the boardroom at the end of the Ken Bates era, and again during the John Lowe v Harry Massey period in early 1972, but this has the potential to be equally destructive, at least if I'm reading that stuff quoted from Twitter correctly.

don't do that!!!!!

46 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

It's pretty clear that this person along with his little bitch who posts on here are deliberately trying to shit stir and its done because they are bitter and jealous of the Rothwells.

nahhh the little bitch is well clever these days. instead if just turning up to regurgitate barrys pies he turns up one post earlier with a stat.

THEN  he regurgitates barrys lies. leaving us all suckered in and believing them 🙄🙄🙄

what an excellent typo that was!!!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

I don’t get why Raglan (who has looked ordinary) continues to be picked by some ahead of Hogan? 🤔

Hogan has been top drawer since ST took over imho

I pointed out how many blocks. Someone said that's because he's out of position. Imagine your mind making you think a defender being in the right place to block shots on goal was him being out of position 🤣

58 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Always back to issues within the new board with you. Like Casper you transparent ****

Edited by mcfluff1985
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dickie Down said:

How splendid.

Rather reminds me of the High Court judge presiding over a case involving football. He stopped proceedings and enquired bemusedly , ' What is a Gazza?'

On other matters, I am very interested in the boardroom schisms you mention from another age and look forward to reading about them when you have the time.

"Gazza job, I could do that...." (apologies to Yosser Hughes).

More seriously, didn't the judge in the early 1960s Lady Chatterley trial make a similarly unintentionally funny remark, though admittedly not in a football context?

In February 1972, John Lowe staged a boardroom coup against Harry Massey and two other directors. He said they'd resigned, they claimed that they were forced out, but in any event Lowe installed himself as chairman and ruled the roost for the next two years, but died of a heart attack in January '74.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

nahhh the little bitch is well clever these days. instead if just turning up to regurgitate barrys pies he turns up one post earlier with a stat.

THEN  he regurgitates barrys lies. leaving us all suckered in and believing them 🙄🙄🙄

what an excellent typo that was!!!!

:lol:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Summerdeep said:

"Gazza job, I could do that...." (apologies to Yosser Hughes).

More seriously, didn't the judge in the early 1960s Lady Chatterley trial make a similarly unintentionally funny remark, though admittedly not in a football context?

In February 1972, John Lowe staged a boardroom coup against Harry Massey and two other directors. He said they'd resigned, they claimed that they were forced out, but in any event Lowe installed himself as chairman and ruled the roost for the next two years, but died of a heart attack in January '74.

Didn't John Lowe notify Frizzell that he was sacking him and then died overnight before he could carry it through?

Was The Lady Chatterley one about it not being a book that one's servants should read?

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Whether we like it or not, Barry Owen is still well connected at the club. Scary really...

I’m not sure which is scariest, Barry Owen still hanging about or the possibility that there’s someone out there pretending to be him

1 minute ago, Steve_R said:

I’m not sure which is scariest, Barry Owen still hanging about or the possibility that there’s someone out there pretending to be him

bazza became a parody of himself two internet incarnations ago. guys hilarious lve missed him l hope its true he recently attended a match

1 hour ago, Dickie Down said:

Didn't John Lowe notify Frizzell that he was sacking him and then died overnight before he could carry it through?

Was The Lady Chatterley one about it not being a book that one's servants should read?

Yes, that's the Lady Chatterley reference I had in mind.

In the 1973-74 season the Latics lost 4 consecutive matches around the Christmas-New Year period, which saw them plunge from 2nd place in the old Third Division to about 8th place. After the 3-0 defeat at Port Vale on New Year's Day, John Lowe had a meeting with Frizzell and told him he was fired, but a couple of hours or so later he suffered a fatal heart attack and died before he could communicate his decision to the board. That's the story I've read at any rate, possibly from Paul Hince via Jimmy himself originally ; Frizzell remained in his post, the side then won 10 consecutive league games, and that set us up for promotion and the Third Division championship.

That's interesting, is it not? If true, did that deliver a wake-up call for the manager, which galvanized him into action, or would it all have happened anyway?

Apologies to all 21st Century people who believe, probably rightly, that I'm a throwback to a long lost era, LOL.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Summerdeep said:

In the 1973-74 season the Latics lost 4 consecutive matches around the Christmas-New Year period, which saw them plunge from 2nd place in the old Third Division to about 8th place. After the 3-0 defeat at Port Vale on New Year's Day, John Lowe had a meeting with Frizzell and told him he was fired, but a couple of hours or so later he suffered a fatal heart attack and died before he could communicate his decision to the board. That's the story I've read at any rate, possibly from Paul Hince via Jimmy himself originally ; Frizzell remained in his post, the side then won 10 consecutive league games, and that set us up for promotion and the Third Division championship.

That's interesting, is it not? If true, did that deliver a wake-up call for the manager, which galvanized him into action, or would it all have happened anyway?

Apologies to all 21st Century people who believe, probably rightly, that I'm a throwback to a long lost era, LOL.

Interesting reading, the 10 consecutive games were a fantastic watch, I still can't believe how bad we were when the run came to an end at Chesterfield, I was only 13 but I'm sure we didn't have a shot on target that day. 

15 minutes ago, Summerdeep said:

No crack on I'm always interested to hear about Latics related stories from before my time it's part of our history.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Interesting reading, the 10 consecutive games were a fantastic watch, I still can't believe how bad we were when the run came to an end at Chesterfield, I was only 13 but I'm sure we didn't have a shot on target that day. 

That's my recollection as well. It was an incredibly tightly contested game, and Chesterfield didn't create much either, but they took their only real chance ( a guy called Kowalski scored about midway through the second half). Deep into stoppage time Groves played a one-two with George Jones, and when he got the ball back, he found himself unmarked in the six yard box, with the keeper stranded out of position, and just a tap-in required to equalize. Somehow he managed to put the ball wide, and there wasn't even time to take the goal kick. I don't think I ever saw a worse miss at any football match I have attended!