MATCH: Mickleover F.C (H) 09/12/23 - FA Trophy 3rd Round 🏆

7 minutes ago, Ogdenwoodwhittle said:

BP, have you heard anything about Billy Whitehouse at Chorley? A good friend of mine a regular there says he is a prospect, and plays CM and RB/RWB

Don't get out much these days and tend to watch full match re runs of televised National League North  matches so I will check him out.

8 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Do you mind naming the player BP?.

Alex Robertson now at Portsmouth top of Division 1. The offer was on loan from Manchester City under 21s at the time, but I'm convinced he would have made a massive difference to us.

Edited by BP1960

7 hours ago, LaticsPete said:

And, with respect, how do we know the player was offered to us, and what were the terms of that offer?

Also, did you recommend him before or after this? 

Steve Thompson told me and sent me to watch him. After 15 minutes  of the match I rang him and said we must take up the loan offer, he was that good.

We were also offered another player Keiran Breckin (now at Wycombe) who I also recommended as he was far better than what we had, but he wasn't as dynamic as Robertson.

As I said DU preferred bringing in experienced players at the time. ST wouldn't have the final say.

Edited by BP1960
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, mick26 said:

Course they will but they also want relocation expenses, accommodation etc which makes them more expensive in the main.

Depends how ambitious the lad is, he won't be on much at Hendon.

I'm not saying sign him immediately, just to follow up on my initial impression.

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Steve Thompson told me and sent me to watch him. After 15 minutes  of the match I rang him and said we must take up the loan offer, he was that good.

We were also offered another player Keiran Breckin (now at Wycombe) who I also recommended as he was far better than what we had, but he wasn't as dynamic as Robertson.

As I said DU preferred bringing in experienced players at the time. ST wouldn't have the final say.

At what point in the season was this...?

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

At what point in the season was this...?

About the same time I recommended James Berry.

I'm convinced such an addition of dynamism would have changed our season, but of course we will  never know.

Edited by BP1960

14 hours ago, League one forever said:

Professional pride comes into that- especially if it’s an unpaid role, which  I’d imagine it is. Why should he badger the club if they don’t bother to contact him. They either rate his eye or they don’t, if I was in BP’s position I’d just move on. 

BP can answer that, but I'll offer a suggestion - because he's a Latics fan as well as a scout. 

Just now, Worcester Owl said:

BP can answer that, but I'll offer a suggestion - because he's a Latics fan as well as a scout. 

It’s a nice thought, but it would feel a bit desperate to me. I’m offering my professional services and they don’t get back to me. . like I said my pride would kick in- and I’d just be a fan. 

It’s no different to them asking for Joiners to help with ground maintenance- agreeing to put you on list and then never contacting you despite you continually offering. The club aren’t interested or have enough people they prefer to use, so move on. 

18 minutes ago, League one forever said:

It’s a nice thought, but it would feel a bit desperate to me. I’m offering my professional services and they don’t get back to me. . like I said my pride would kick in- and I’d just be a fan. 

It’s no different to them asking for Joiners to help with ground maintenance- agreeing to put you on list and then never contacting you despite you continually offering. The club aren’t interested or have enough people they prefer to use, so move on. 

It's a bug, even at my old age. I spot a player who I think will make a big difference and as a fan just want to let the club know. I don't expect them to sign every recommendation as its about opinions and what the manager of the time believes is required.

The team IMO has been and still is is too pedestrian and it may be a risk in giving young Atherton a chance on the right wing, but we cant carry on as we are. 

I hope from January we see a big injection of dynamic players, even if it means on loan.

I have recommended to a club representative the Hendon lad be looked at as I've only seen him on match highlights.

He may or may not be as good as he appears to me, but at least he'd be on the radar.

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

They called it about right I thought. Full whack would've shaved another 400-500 off the attendance and a bit of flak from supporters. A couple of quid per ticket may have seen another 300-400 come but a big hit on matchday income. The weather was abysmal so if you'd have paid people a fiver to come many would've not bothered for that reason alone.

yeah l always forget the number$ over numbers angle

6 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

It's a bug, even at my old age. I spot a player who I think will make a big difference and as a fan just want to let the club know. I don't expect them to sign every recommendation as its about opinions and what the manager of the time believes is required.

The team IMO has been and still is is too pedestrian and it may be a risk in giving young Atherton a chance on the right wing, but we cant carry on as we are. 

I hope from January we see a big injection of dynamic players, even if it means on loan.

I have recommended to a club representative the Hendon lad be looked at as I've only seen him on match highlights.

He may or may not be as good as he appears to me, but at least he'd be on the radar.

That’s different BP. 

That sounds like you don’t really have expectations of the club getting back to you, because you just enjoy it, that’s great. 

But you’ve said numerous times on here that you find it frustrating or you’ve become disillusioned with the club. In that context - why let it piss you off, just move on.

You either enjoy it and no expectation the club will follow up. 

Or

You still have professional pride, (nothing wrong with that) and it frustrates you when the club don’t come back to you. 

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

That’s different BP. 

That sounds like you don’t really have expectations of the club getting back to you, because you just enjoy it, that’s great. 

But you’ve said numerous times on here that you find it frustrating or you’ve become disillusioned with the club. In that context - why let it piss you off, just move on.

You either enjoy it and no expectation the club will follow up. 

Or

You still have professional pride, (nothing wrong with that) and it frustrates you when the club don’t come back to you. 

A bit of both, as mentioned the club and scouting are bugs that will always stay with me. I can as you say separate them as I've worked for other clubs while a fan of the Latics. I just want to see  us do better.

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 2

I wonder if we've got an issue with too many "big man campus" mentalities.

Nuttall came with decent stats, Norwood is obviously the best player we've ever had, Lundstram was National League player of the season last year, Raglan's played in the league.

I wonder how we'd do if we had a strong spine and then brought hungry youth players through to learn off the quality.  Good teams are usually made up of youth and experience.  We've got too many players who are somewhere in the middle.

10 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I wonder if we've got an issue with too many "big man campus" mentalities.

Nuttall came with decent stats, Norwood is obviously the best player we've ever had, Lundstram was National League player of the season last year, Raglan's played in the league.

I wonder how we'd do if we had a strong spine and then brought hungry youth players through to learn off the quality.  Good teams are usually made up of youth and experience.  We've got too many players who are somewhere in the middle.

Unfortunately the spine is weak in the central body area, we can try physio manoeuvring or temporary injections - however, major surgery may be the only long term remedy.

7 hours ago, League one forever said:

I don't think it needs to be seen as desperate. As it happens, I'm with you in that I would be bloody annoyed if my tips weren't being responded to - even an acknowledgement would be something, and if that basic minimum doesn't happen, that's poor and unprofessional.

7 hours ago, BP1960 said:

As said above, the club should at least have the courtesy to acknowledge your recommendations even if they don't follow them up for whatever reason. Of course people there may be busy and with the best will in the world not able to respond immediately, but it doesn't take too long to send an email/text/phone call to say thanks, we'll take a look. You have every right to feel disillusioned based on what you say you've experienced. Next time you highlight a player, why not point out previous tips who have gone on to thrive elsewhere. We all agree this squad is not where it needs to be, particularly given what the Rothwells have spent to date, and we can't afford to miss out on players with the potential to improve us.

10 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

I don't think it needs to be seen as desperate. As it happens, I'm with you in that I would be bloody annoyed if my tips weren't being responded to - even an acknowledgement would be something, and if that basic minimum doesn't happen, that's poor and unprofessional.

As said above, the club should at least have the courtesy to acknowledge your recommendations even if they don't follow them up for whatever reason. Of course people there may be busy and with the best will in the world not able to respond immediately, but it doesn't take too long to send an email/text/phone call to say thanks, we'll take a look. You have every right to feel disillusioned based on what you say you've experienced. Next time you highlight a player, why not point out previous tips who have gone on to thrive elsewhere. We all agree this squad is not where it needs to be, particularly given what the Rothwells have spent to date, and we can't afford to miss out on players with the potential to improve us.

At the same time …maybe the club has had recommendations from him that turned out to do nothing. 
There may be all sorts of reasons why tips haven’t been signed, and the club has no obligation to explain why. 
An acknowledgment “thanks for letting us know of your opinion” is a possibility but I have a feeling that wouldn’t be acceptable to @BP1960 . I might be wrong on this however. 

Edited by LaticsPete
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Thanks, I've put some feelers out and will see what happens. It's possible records of voluntary scouts might not have been carried over, although I expect the paid ones have.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2023 at 12:10 PM, BP1960 said:

You are right, many of the team are past it or injury prone and Mickleover ran rings round us.

Chesterfield played a lot of Academy players in beating Southport 6-1, there seems a reluctance here to give our youth even a place on the bench, a youth team incidentally which is producing good results against EFL teams and some on loan earning great reviews at clubs in higher leagues than Mickleover.

I can say I've seen couple of them (a strong mobile  striker and a dynamic winger) who'd be  

breath of fresh air.

MM has given enough chances to those who repeatedly let him down so now is the time for fresh blood to be introduced.

Which players are these, out of interest? 

• Like 1

• Matt unfeatured this topic