MATCH: Mickleover F.C (H) 09/12/23 - FA Trophy 3rd Round ๐Ÿ†

16 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Couple of bad performances and we are back to James Norwood being the issue. Fantastic.ย 
ย 

Is someone going to suggest playing him in midfield like they did last time. Madness.ย 

ย 

Not THE issue.ย  Just AN issue.

ย 

ย 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Couple of bad performances and we are back to James Norwood being the issue. Fantastic.ย 

ย 

ย 

16 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Was it a midfield 2 of Gardner and Sheron ? Wonder what the bloody issue is.ย 

Do you see the contraction here?ย 
ย 

Before โ€˜the couple of bad performancesโ€™ we had some really good performances- of which the midfield were a big part of.ย 
ย 

It seems when we play well itโ€™s in spite of the midfield.ย 
ย 

When we play poorly itโ€™s because of the midfield.ย 
ย 

You canโ€™t have it both ways.ย 

12 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Hobson came on for Gardner so we pushed McGahey into midfield alongside Sheron (shudders).ย 

ย 

When we are not having to put a centre back in midfield because we have knowonelse then tells us quite clearly where the problem is.

ย 

If we start dominating games fail to score and James Norwood is moaning then I will see it as an issue but right now it simply isn't.

1 minute ago, GlossopLatic said:

ย 

It's not even an issue.

ย 

Norwood comes with more expectation than anyone in that squad.ย  He's the highest quality, highest paid, played at the highest level and is one of the most senior and most experienced players in the squad.

ย 

You honestly think he leads by example well when things are going badly?

Before I start I like James Norwood, he should bag 30+ for us down here and is without doubt our best player so I understand why Mellon allows him to do what he wants but yesterday he was awful, really awful.ย 

ย 

I'd suggested at half time that nothing had gone right for him and he continued to have an off game as the game wore on, on the flip side Fondop had an okay first half, brought others in to play, scored and put another on the proverbial plate for Norwood which he fluffed, why then did Norwood come out for the second half?, he was our least effective forward and we took away the threat that Fondop offered, Norwood was waving his arms around a lot and blaming others but he was fucking gash and contributed next to fuck all, if I was playing alongside him having his tants I'd tell him to sling it and concentrate on his own game because he has plenty to work on at the minute, of course we can blame the midfield it's where the major problems lie but that isn't the reason Norwood is poor at times, it's his attitude which I just don't like and for me he should be more humble not just blame every other fucker for his own shortcomings.ย 

Edited by yarddog73
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

ย 

When we are not having to put a centre back in midfield because we have knowonelse then tells us quite clearly where the problem is.

ย 

If we start dominating games fail to score and James Norwood is moaning then I will see it as an issue but right now it simply isn't.

I agree, we simply aren't creating enough chances for him, our problems are elsewhere on the pitch which we are all aware of.ย 

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

Before I start I like James Norwood, he should bag 30+ for us down here and is without doubt our best player so I understand why Mellon allows him to do what he wants but yesterday he was awful, really awful. I

ย 

I'd suggested at half time that nothing had gone right for him and he continued to have an off game as the game wore on, on the flip side Fondop had an okay first half, brought others in to play, scored and put another on the proverbial plate for Norwood which he fluffed, why then did Norwood come out for the second half?, he was our least effective forward and we took away the threat that Fondop offered, Norwood was waving his arms around a lot and blaming others but he was fucking gash and contributed next to fuck all, if I was playing alongside him having his tants I'd tell him to sling it and concentrate on his own game because he has plenty to work on at the minute, of course we can blame the midfield it's where the major problems lie but that isn't the reason Norwood is poor at times, it's his attitude which I just don't like and for me he should be more humble not just blame every other fucker for his own shortcomings.ย 

Fondop got injured just before half time.ย 

2 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Before I start I like James Norwood, he should bag 30+ for us down here and is without doubt our best player so I understand why Mellon allows him to do what he wants but yesterday he was awful, really awful.ย 

ย 

ย 

I didn't go yesterday, but that sounds like a show we've seen before...

8 minutes ago, JoeP said:

ย 

Norwood comes with more expectation than anyone in that squad.ย  He's the highest quality, highest paid, played at the highest level and is one of the most senior and most experienced players in the squad.

ย 

You honestly think he leads by example well when things are going badly?

ย 

He has higher standards than others yes he moans he's an aggressive bulldog type striker in the mold of Lee Hughes and Wayne Rooney they both moaned when things didnt go their way look at Haaland last week. Alot of strikers will do that they are often the most selfish players on the pitch that's why most aren't captains

ย 

He's won us games this season and he will win us more if we get him the ball in the right parts of the pitch.

ย 

If a by product of that is that he moans when things Don't go his way then so be it, If we are to do anything this season weather its getting into the play off mix or even winning the FA Trophy then a big part of that is going to be done by us creating more chances for him.

Didn't like Hobson on the left of a back two, Hogan no rightback, McGahey- not seeing what others are particularly pushed in to midfield with no legs around him, Green doesn't want to be a footballer, Sheron is so limited, Hope is generally below average and should have been moved on, Hudson shipping over 2 a game, Willoughby, Dickinson, Ward, Freeman, Shelton, Gardner, Tollitt, Nuttall, Couto have all disappointed and I'd be looking to move on.

ย 

Honestly I'd keep about half a dozen and they would be;

ย 

Norman

Kitching

Hobson

Raglan

Lundstrumย 

Fondop

Norwood

ย 

Maybe Reid and Sutton.

ย 

That's about a third of a squad that's cost us an absolute fortune to assemble with the biggest wage bill in the division.

ย 

No doubt about it some awful decisions have been made since the Rothwells came in and in any other walk of life heads would have rolled.

ย 

17 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

ย 

He has higher standards than others yes he moans he's an aggressive bulldog type striker in the mold of Lee Hughes and Wayne Rooney they both moaned when things didnt go their way look at Haaland last week. Alot of strikers will do that they are often the most selfish players on the pitch that's why most aren't captains

ย 

He's won us games this season and he will win us more if we get him the ball in the right parts of the pitch.

ย 

If a by product of that is that he moans when things Don't go his way then so be it, If we are to do anything this season weather its getting into the play off mix or even winning the FA Trophy then a big part of that is going to be done by us creating more chances for him.

ย 

Moaning/demanding more from your team-mates I can kind of get on board with, if it brings positive results.

ย 

It's the sulking I can't...

21 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Didn't like Hobson on the left of a back two, Hogan no rightback, McGahey- not seeing what others are particularly pushed in to midfield with no legs around him, Green doesn't want to be a footballer, Sheron is so limited, Hope is generally below average and should have been moved on, Hudson shipping over 2 a game, Willoughby, Dickinson, Ward, Freeman, Shelton, Gardner, Tollitt, Nuttall, Couto have all disappointed and I'd be looking to move on.

ย 

Honestly I'd keep about half a dozen and they would be;

ย 

Norman

Kitching

Hobson

Raglan

Lundstrumย 

Fondop

Norwood

ย 

Maybe Reid and Sutton.

ย 

That's about a third of a squad that's cost us an absolute fortune to assemble with the biggest wage bill in the division.

ย 

No doubt about it some awful decisions have been made since the Rothwells came in and in any other walk of life heads would have rolled.

ย 

Heads have rolled!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, otid said:

FFS Dave.....what's the point of using words that you know 99.9% of us are going to have to google......is that some sort of smugย  oneupmanship?

Lugubrious is a reasonably common word isn't it? Must admit I thought it was.

ย 

Anyway like L1F I quite like coming across words I haven't seen before and/or don't know the meaning of. Life is an education.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, JoeP said:

ย 

Moaning/demanding more from your team-mates I can kind of get on board with, if it brings positive results.

ย 

It's the sulking I can't...

Agreed he can moan and bitch all game for me if heโ€™s on it.

ย 

Itโ€™s when he does that and contributes nothing.ย 

3 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

You're going to drop him and play who? Some youth team lad who chases the ball around like a dog on a beach but who is enthusiastic and keeps running even as we're letting a team of milkmen stroll through our midfield? Sounds great.

I am baffled by this kind of patronising comment. Reeks of entitlement. We are a non league team ourselves and down here for a reason. We are 10th in the 5th tier and have good days and bad days. Mickleover are, what, 2 or 3 tiers below us? But 2nd in their league, having a good season and yesterday were not surprisingly up for maybe the biggest game in their club's history. I really don't see the point of belittling them as another stick to beat Latics with.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Lugubrious is a reasonably common word isn't it? Must admit I thought it was.

ย 

Anyway like L1F I quite like coming across words I haven't seen before and/or don't know the meaning of. Life is an education.

The only Glaswegian I've ever come across who isn't lugubrious is Kathy from Two Doors Downย 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, League one forever said:

Itโ€™s just words. . . I personally love hearing a word I havenโ€™t heard and will usually look it up so I can re use weeks later in completely the wrong context.ย 
ย 

ย 

Life is like an Anthony Burgess novel. Is it just a coincidence that Warren Clarke came from Oldham and featured in A Clockwork Orange?

39 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

I am baffled by this kind of patronising comment. Reeks of entitlement. We are a non league team ourselves and down here for a reason. We are 10th in the 5th tier and have good days and bad days. Mickleover are, what, 2 or 3 tiers below us? But 2nd in their league, having a good season and yesterday were not surprisingly up for maybe the biggest game in their club's history. I really don't see the point of belittling them as another stick to beat Latics with.

I don't think it's made in a patronising way, nevertheless we should be putting teams like this away with ease but we are being comprehensively outplayed, at home.

ย 

I really do expect better if only because we have a team of professional paid athletes and the support that goes with that and a monthly budget that would blow some of these teams annual ones out of the water, most of those lads yesterday worked in a 9 till 5 job on Friday, it's a bit like Forest Green going to Leeds United and the Leeds fans being content that they are being played off the park and at times can't even compete, it's not unreasonable at all to suggest we should be doing better with the money that's being spent.

ย 

This great Mickleover team are currently on a run of one win in seven in the League, with the mighty Stratford, Halesowen and Kettering turning them over recently.

ย 

As for the other great footballing team who played us off the park at home recently Ebbsfleet United they backed that up with a defeat against relegation favourites Kidderminster who they could hardly muster a shot against and went out yesterday at home to Bishop Stortford.

1 hour ago, Worcester Owl said:

Itโ€™s balance isnโ€™t it- nobody has the right to beat anybody. But on fitness alone they should be nowhere near full time professionals. Thatโ€™s just an athletic reality.ย 
ย 

ย 

Yardog said :

As for the other great footballing team who played us off the park at home recently Ebbsfleet United they backed that up with a defeat against relegation favourites Kidderminster who they could hardly muster a shot against and went out yesterday at home to Bishop Stortford.

ย 

ย 

Proving the point that anyone can beat anyone on the day . Thats football !

I agree with your post further down about who to keep . and who to ship . Think you are a bit harsh on Hudson , not sure Norman would do any better in the current side. They both have faults in their game to be worked on.ย 

For me its the same issue causing our problems, Midfield !! is full of paper tigers . And we have no penetration on the flanks.

Maybe Dave Og can write some cheques in the basement of B.P.

Edited by penrhyn
typo