MATCH: Mickleover F.C (H) 09/12/23 - FA Trophy 3rd Round ๐Ÿ†

2 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

that doesnt make sense?

this time next year the FA Trophy will still be tinpot. as will all of the opponents and the weather will be shit.

far too high as proved by the attendance, would a thousand turn up if it was a fiver?

I wouldnโ€™t have gone if it was free!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

that doesnt make sense?

this time next year the FA Trophy will still be tinpot. as will all of the opponents and the weather will be shit.

far too high as proved by the attendance, would a thousand turn up if it was a fiver?

ย 

They called it about right I thought. Full whack would've shaved another 400-500 off the attendance and a bit of flak from supporters. A couple of quid per ticket may have seen another 300-400 come but a big hit on matchday income. The weather was abysmal so if you'd have paid people a fiver to come many would've not bothered for that reason alone.

I don't disagree with much of the above, but as I've said before I think our main issue is the whole squad in general is too slow and old.

Our average squad age is around 28.1 and yesterday's starting 11 was 29.4!! Hudson was our youngest starter yesterday at 25 and we had 5 30 plus players starting the game.

To put this into context only Fulham in the Prem had an older starting 11 at 29.6 than we did, and players like Ream and Willian at 36 and 35 sku'd this a bit.

I wasn't there yesterday but I'd hazard a guess Mickleover were quicker and probably younger than us all over the park.

I'm not saying you don't need experience and some older heads but it's just another huge inbalance in our squad on top of the others.

From what I've seen, there are plenty of 20 something players who have both quality and pace who would improve us significantly.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Having just watched the goals I'd say that the next person who suggests our keepers aren't up to it should be made to sit in a room watching the ones that opposition keepers have chucked in for us this season. On a loop.

Absolutely 100%, I just donโ€™t understand the constant criticism of Hudson and before that Norman!
The keeper situation is the very last item on the agenda we should be concerned about!

We have two keepers of equal ability vying for the No.1 jersey and IMO just about every team in this division would be more than happy with either of them!!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Londonboy said:

I don't disagree with much of the above, but as I've said before I think our main issue is the whole squad in general is too slow and old.

Our average squad age is around 28.1 and yesterday's starting 11 was 29.4!! Hudson was our youngest starter yesterday at 25 and we had 5 30 plus players starting the game.

To put this into context only Fulham in the Prem had an older starting 11 at 29.6 than we did, and players like Ream and Willian at 36 and 35 sku'd this a bit.

I wasn't there yesterday but I'd hazard a guess Mickleover were quicker and probably younger than us all over the park.

I'm not saying you don't need experience and some older heads but it's just another huge inbalance in our squad on top of the others.

From what I've seen, there are plenty of 20 something players who have both quality and pace who would improve us significantly.

ย 

You are right, many of the team are past it or injury prone and Mickleover ran rings round us.

Chesterfield played a lot of Academy players in beating Southport 6-1, there seems a reluctance here to give our youth even a place on the bench, a youth team incidentally which is producing good results against EFL teams and some on loan earning great reviews at clubs in higher leagues than Mickleover.

I can say I've seen couple of them (a strong mobileย  striker and a dynamic winger) who'd beย ย 

breath of fresh air.

MM has given enough chances to those who repeatedly let him down so now is the time for fresh blood to be introduced.

ย 

ย 

ย 

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

ย 

You are right, many of the team are past it or injury prone and Mickleover ran rings round us.

Chesterfield played a lot of Academy players in beating Southport 6-1, there seems a reluctance here to give our youth even a place on the bench, a youth team incidentally which is producing good results against EFL teams and some on loan earning great reviews at clubs in higher leagues than Mickleover.

I can say I've seen couple of them (a strong mobileย  striker and a dynamic winger) who'd beย ย 

breath of fresh air.

MM has given enough chances to those who repeatedly let him down so now is the time for fresh blood to be introduced.

ย 

ย 

ย 

It's a fair point, we've had a succession of managers who turn to 30 odd year old crocks well past their prime over youth, problem is I'm not sure that will change any time soon under Mellon.

4 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

It's a fair point, we've had a succession of managers who turn to 30 odd year old crocks well past their prime over youth, problem is I'm not sure that will change any time soon under Mellon.

ย 

Fr the last go decades or so a short term fix (ha!) has been more important than building anything for the future.ย  Maybe now is the time to change that.

27 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

ย 

It was galling to me to recommend a young player offered to us last season who is now regarded as the best midfielder in Division 1 only to hear 'experience' was preferred.

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

ย 

It was galling to me to recommend a young player offered to us last season who is now regarded as the best midfielder in Division 1 only to hear 'experience' was preferred.

I can only imagine how frustrated you must be when that happens, but you mustn't let it stop you from making recommendations. MM may be more receptive than the previous manager, and if it helps you could fairly point to previous tips which have been ignored yet gone on to make the grade with other clubs.

27 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Home to Hendon FC next round...

Famous name from when I started watching footballย  _FA Amateur Cuo winners and finalists in late 50s and 60s. Isthmian League champs as well i think.ย 

A time when the Amateur Cup Final would get 100,000 crowd at Wembley.

Edited by LaticsPete

2 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

I can only imagine how frustrated you must be when that happens, but you mustn't let it stop you from making recommendations. MM may be more receptive than the previous manager, and if it helps you could fairly point to previous tips which have been ignored yet gone on to make the grade with other clubs.

ย 

Been looking at several matches the young midfielder Billy Leonard at Hendon has played, he has something about him which suggests he could play in the EFL. A football brain who can pass a ball and score goals.

I'm disillusioned with Latics though as they have me on the scouting books, but no one has bothered to contact me. Something other previous managers have done.

ย 

Edited by BP1960

21 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

ย 

Been looking at several matches the young midfielder Billy Leonard at Hendon has played, he has something about him which suggests he could play in the EFL. A football brain who can pass a ball and score goals.

I'm disillusioned with Latics though as they have me on the scouting books, but no one has bothered to contact me. Something other previous managers have done.

ย 

Easy for me to say, but you must persevere, BP. Donโ€™t wait for them to contact you, nag them if necessary and if you believe you have a real prospect. Donโ€™t give up!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Easy for me to say, but you must persevere, BP. Donโ€™t wait for them to contact you, nag them if necessary and if you believe you have a real prospect. Donโ€™t give up!

ย 

Professional pride comes into that- especially if itโ€™s an unpaid role, which ย Iโ€™d imagine it is. Why should he badger the club if they donโ€™t bother to contact him. They either rate his eye or they donโ€™t, if I was in BPโ€™s position Iโ€™d just move on.ย 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

ย 

Professional pride comes into that- especially if itโ€™s an unpaid role, which ย Iโ€™d imagine it is. Why should he badger the club if they donโ€™t bother to contact him. They either rate his eye or they donโ€™t, if I was in BPโ€™s position Iโ€™d just move on.ย 

ย 

Thanks, I have put a suggestion to a club contact about the Hendon lad so we will see what comes of it. I'm not saying sign him on the extracts I've seen, but at least worth following up.

ย 

20 hours ago, trickyrickyholden said:

Nah 12 quid these days is nowt. Low attendance was down to tinpottery of the opposition/competition and weather.

Oh and because we have pit some dreadful performances in of late.ย 

Thought it was an interesting decision to close the Main Stand to Oldham fans, despite that stand offering the best protection from the elements and having the longest tenured ST holders in.

ย 

Can see why like, but think some people may not have turned up because their regular seat, wasn't available.

3 hours ago, BP1960 said:

ย 

ย 

ย 

Nobody emailed you again? Ffs

ย 

ย 

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

ย 

Thanks, I have put a suggestion to a club contact about the Hendon lad so we will see what comes of it. I'm not saying sign him on the extracts I've seen, but at least worth following up.

ย 

ย 

Sidney Schmeltz looked good on YouTube. Anyone can recommend players like that when they watch clips

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

ย 

ย 

Think we need to concentrate on northern based players unless like Hobson it's someone looking to come back home. Would love to know how much Barnet paid Sheffield United for Zak Brunt - he's the type of midfielder we're crying out for.

11 minutes ago, mick26 said:

Think we need to concentrate on northern based players unless like Hobson it's someone looking to come back home. Would love to know how much Barnet paid Sheffield United for Zak Brunt - he's the type of midfielder we're crying out for.

ย 

Many players will move anywhere if the offer is right. Don't they Jordan Henderson?

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 1