MATCH: Mickleover F.C (H) 09/12/23 - FA Trophy 3rd Round ๐Ÿ†

2 hours ago, LaticsPete said:

Surely thereโ€™s only Cookson that is โ€œearning rave reviews โ€œ in a โ€œ higher leagueโ€ than Micklover? And thatโ€™s a loose interpretation of โ€œrave โ€œ review.ย 
ย 

Cookson impressed me in a 45 minute cameo pre-season, very vocal and mature.ย 

Unfortunately he's another bloody centre half. Could be interesting at right back but not sure how good he is going forward.ย 

3 hours ago, LaticsPete said:

Surely thereโ€™s only Cookson that is โ€œearning rave reviews โ€œ in a โ€œ higher leagueโ€ than Micklover? And thatโ€™s a loose interpretation of โ€œrave โ€œ review.ย 
ย 

Cookson is playing two leagues below Mickleover - Northwich Vics are in the Midland League...ย 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, OneSizeFitz said:

Which of those are earning rave reviews in leagues higher than Mickleover?ย 

On a more general point though, I do hope at some point, maybe towards the end of the season if we miss out on the play offs, MM will try out some of the youth team players. For a club at our level bringing through our own youngsters has to be a central ambition. I know it's another universe and it was towards the end of the game, but AC Milan were happy to bring on a 17 year old the other night against Newcastle in a big CL game, for whom Lewis Miley, the same age, has been playing well. If you're good enough, you're old enough - at any level.

Heading to Needham Market today. They're top of the league that Mickleover are second in so will be interesting to see the standard. Might be quite lively following the Old Farm Derby at lunchtime. I've always been a bit dismissive of it being a Derby as the two clubs are forty miles apart but it's clearly a very big deal around these parts.

On 12/16/2023 at 9:27 AM, Dave_Og said:

Heading to Needham Market today. They're top of the league that Mickleover are second in so will be interesting to see the standard. Might be quite lively following the Old Farm Derby at lunchtime. I've always been a bit dismissive of it being a Derby as the two clubs are forty miles apart but it's clearly a very big deal around these parts.

ย 

What an impressive set up that was.ย  And a very decent standard of football

On 12/16/2023 at 9:07 AM, Worcester Owl said:

On a more general point though, I do hope at some point, maybe towards the end of the season if we miss out on the play offs, MM will try out some of the youth team players. For a club at our level bringing through our own youngsters has to be a central ambition. I know it's another universe and it was towards the end of the game, but AC Milan were happy to bring on a 17 year old the other night against Newcastle in a big CL game, for whom Lewis Miley, the same age, has been playing well. If you're good enough, you're old enough - at any level.

ย 

And Manchester United are playing 18yo Kobbie Mainoo who settled in right away and looks a great prospect.

Can't say I remember many of them at the time Pete, but I'd put money on Mainoo playing for England (or Ghana if he chooses them) at full international level soon.

I saw a 23yo player recently in the Northern Premier League who played for England at all youth levels and it didn't take long for me to see why he'd lost his way...

Work ethic nil.

Edited by BP1960

10 hours ago, BP1960 said:

ย 

And Manchester United are playing 18yo Kobbie Mainoo who settled in right away and looks a great prospect.

Yes, Mainoo already looks the real deal, a superb prospect. He already seems mature beyond his years, reminds me of Jude Bellingham in that respect. Great players always seem to have more time somehow, and Mainoo as you say looks like he has a great future.

1 hour ago, LaticsPete said:

Although-as the article points out- those tipped for greatness often donโ€™t achieve it.ย 
ย 

ย 

True, But at the same time you can get a player like Harry Vaughan who clearly was good enough and wasn't given the chance here was sold to Hull and started games for a team 3 divisions above us.ย 

ย 

Their is no point in us spending hundreds of thousands of pounds a year on having a youth setup and not giving them a pathway for the 1st team.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

ย 

True, But at the same time you can get a player like Harry Vaughan who clearly was good enough and wasn't given the chance here was sold to Hull and started games for a team 3 divisions above us.ย 

ย 

Their is no point in us spending hundreds of thousands of pounds a year on having a youth setup and not giving them a pathway for the 1st team.

ย 

Seems to be getting pretty limited game time at Hull this season .ย  Odd given the initial rave reviews

20 hours ago, LaticsPete said:

ย 

Around this time of year all the investment banks and brokers publish their forecasts for what may happen economically over the next year and what it may mean for stock and bond markets, interest rates etc.ย  Weirdly none of them seem to review what they said the previous year and how accurate they may or may not have been...ย  One firm that I worked for did just that in a publication called 'What We Got Right And What We Got Wrong'.ย  It was a rare burst of honesty and they no longer do that!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

ย 

ย 

ย 

We also lost another youth Aaron Atkinson to Barnsley recently.ย 

https://www.barnsleyfc.co.uk/news/20232/october/aaron-atkinson/

ย 

3 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

ย 

ย 

ย 

Shouldn't lose sight of the fact that the youth set up has two distinct purposes - a pathway to the first team and a source of funds.ย  Going back to the likes of Danny Philliskirk and Scott Spencer there has been a fairly steady stream of lads who haven't got anywhere near our first team but have moved elsewhere for cash of some sort.

11 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

ย 

Seems to be getting pretty limited game time at Hull this season .ย  Odd given the initial rave reviews

Although not quite as odd as Unsworths reluctance to name him in a 16 which generally comprised of at least half a dozen 'forwards' who couldn't find a forward pass.

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

Although not quite as odd as Unsworths reluctance to name him in a 16 which generally comprised of at least half a dozen 'forwards' who couldn't find a forward pass.

Every time I get to the point where Unsworth is a distant memory, someone brings his name up again, it isn't going to go away is it?ย 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, disjointed said:

Every time I get to the point where Unsworth is a distant memory, someone brings his name up again, it isn't going to go away is it?ย 

This

ย 

But for that area of BL9, South of Pilsworth and East of Whitefield.

ย 

Sorry @unsworth blueย @unsworthblueย @unsworthlaticย @unsworthphil

20 hours ago, BP1960 said:

ย 

We also lost another youth Aaron Atkinson to Barnsley recently.ย 

https://www.barnsleyfc.co.uk/news/20232/october/aaron-atkinson/

ย 

โ€œLostโ€ . ย 
Overloaded with implications.ย 

Did Blackburn fret at him coming to us?ย 
Letโ€™s wait until we see how he turns out before bemoaning what happenedย 

ย