MATCH: Hendon (H) 13/01/24

3 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

It will cost Frank even more next season to get out of this division.

If we can't get rid loan them out to 9th tier clubs, I don't want them to see them play for Latics ever again.

What you want BP is totally irrelevant. 

Nuttal won’t go to a ninth tier club, and even if he did we’d still be paying his wages- because they couldn’t afford him. So he’s not in the building but still on the balance sheet. 

I’ll say again- we can’t just pay up long contacts because you or I don’t rate them. Nine are out of contract in the summer anyway- so plenty of scope for new signings. 

6 minutes ago, TwistingMyMellon said:

If that's true then the crowd are out of order... today's result isn't exactly a surprise is it?

You'd have understood why if you went to the game, booed off at half and full time which takes some doing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Yeah, I take your point. 

But betters players still need familiar position. You wouldn’t see Maguire at left back for United just because they’re playing Yeovil. 

He plays Maghey again, who was dire last week. He needlessly changes formation (he said the other week 352 is the best use of the squad he has available) so why change it. Just think there was a lot of odd decisions, that at the very least contributed to a poor result. 

Agree that 352 is the best suited to the squad but you can’t play that formation without Kitching, who he clearly wanted to rest. Not 1 other player in the squad is capable of playing LWB. 

I am absolutely convinced that there is a curse on us.   Can someone delve into the local achieves. Was the footprint of the ground a former witches graveyard ?.  Did there once upon a time used to be lunatic asylum under the main stand ?

There is no other logic for us being so crap for so long.  Will we have success ever again? Will we continue to stumble from one disaster to another?

For most of my 62 years as a fan, I keep saying to myself, ' we have finally reached the bottom of the barrel', but oh no. Something worse is ALWAYS just around the corner. And the latest something was today. Heaven help us. 😂

8 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Going to take my cue from Mellon on this one… I couldn’t give a shiny shit about that game today.

Once he picks that team it’s clear the only focus is the league. I’ll trust him on this as he’s the promotion expert. 

We already knew the squad players weren’t up to it. We already knew he’s bringing in more 1st teamers. So as far as I’m concerned nothing has changed when it comes to our promotion prospects 

Every game is important, remember when Latics beat Scarborough 7-0, Joe turned out his best team in every game and got the rewards for it.

2 minutes ago, TwistingMyMellon said:

League cup mattered then. This doesn't.

You could say the League Cup didn't matter back then due to other priorities.

This was a good chance to get to Wembley just the same.

Edited by BP1960

4 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Yes he is..he selected an inadequate team.

Disagree. The players selected are professionals who had the task of beating part timers. Those selected today know full well they are fighting for their contracts at Boundary Park and it would appear on today’s evidence they dont fancy staying here. MM has bigger issues to deal with than the fa trophy. Personally I couldn’t give a toss about any cup competitions whilst we are not in the football league. Our priority is to get back to the league as quickly as possible and for that we need committed players who will run through walls for this club and that lot today have done themselves no favours 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Every game is important, remember when Latics beat Scarborough 7-0, Joe turned out his best team in every game and got the rewards for it.

We didn’t get promoted that season. Or win anything. 

Personally I would have picked a stronger team with a view to trying to win the cup. But that’s not what he’s chosen to do. And I’d trust him to take us up over me!

I had abit of a go at people last week for saying that it was abit hyperbolic to say that describe last weeks 1-0 away win as embarrassing and a disgrace I imagine that if any of them saw that today their heads will have exploded.

That was an actual embarrasment we had players today who were given an opportunity to impress and did nothing in Willoughby Ward and Hope. Players such as Raglan and Lundstrum who just dilly dallied on the ball and wanted to take too many touches Gardners was out of position but he could have done a hell of alot more. The passing was pedestrian and slow amd the movement was nonexistent.

But the biggest dissapointment today was the lack of desire we lost today because Hendon wanted it more nothingelse it was a lack of application and professionalism and that's the biggest insult I can give to that team today.

I'm of for a curry and a few pints to calm down I suggest the rest of you do the same.

Edited by GlossopLatic

1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

You could say the League Cup didn't matter back then due to other priorities.

This was a good chance to get to Wembley just the same.

You could say that but you'd be wrong in my view. All the big teams took the league cup seriously then. Arsenal played a full strength team against us etc...we made loads of money which along with the FA Cup propelled us to promotion the season after. Winning the FA Trophy wouldn't do that...

Got to agree with BP.  Always respect the opposition, whoever they are, and from whatever level of the pyramid.

Play your best team first , get 2 or 3 in front THEN take your star men off.  No point in waiting until you are up shit creek then bringing them on. Surely they are just as exposed to injuries as the other way round.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TwistingMyMellon said:

He selected a team to prevent our main players getting injured. A sensible decision. We're bad enough without losing key players ..

One of the worst sporting clichés of all this.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, OAFC_ULTRA said:

Disagree. The players selected are professionals who had the task of beating part timers. Those selected today know full well they are fighting for their contracts at Boundary Park and it would appear on today’s evidence they dont fancy staying here. MM has bigger issues to deal with than the fa trophy. Personally I couldn’t give a toss about any cup competitions whilst we are not in the football league. Our priority is to get back to the league as quickly as possible and for that we need committed players who will run through walls for this club and that lot today have done themselves no favours 

Absolutely, today was an information gathering exercise. If all it did was confirm what MM already thought about some of those players (and present that to the CEO and the board too) then it did serve some purpose. And on to the league, where he's doing quite well with a not-very-good squad. I'd rather get out of this league than win the FA Trophy. As for the "get rid right now" comments, there is just no point in doing that. For players like Shelton, Nuttall, and many others, there is a cost - if they can hold out and get something, anything, back from another club at some stage, rather than just paying off their contracts in full, then each bit that they get goes back into the budget. Unsworth has left us with a bag of shit and we need to turn it into a silk purse. Every little helps. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 100milesaway said:

Got to agree with BP.  Always respect the opposition, whoever they are, and from whatever level of the pyramid.

Play your best team first , get 2 or 3 in front THEN take your star men off.  No point in waiting until you are up shit creek then bringing them on. Surely they are just as exposed to injuries as the other way round.

The team we put out today was good enough to win that game if they put their minds to it they didn't and we lost and we deserved it.

1 minute ago, GlossopLatic said:

The team we put out today was good enough to win that game if they put their minds to it they didn't and we lost and we deserved it.

Mmmmm, me thinks the team today wasn't good enough to win that game.  And they proved it.