MATCH: Hendon (H) 13/01/24

5 minutes ago, Pidge said:

My win was on Chaddy the Owl at 40/1 in the mascot race.  Back then he did that run from one penalty to the other to kick a penalty. I remember thinking he was fast and so put a tenner on 😁.

I was a tight arse. I had a fiver on the horse at 12/1 on the morning of the race.

Then spent it all in the students bar at Lancaster uni. I believe that it was 23p a pint. Soooo many friends that night.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Cheers 👍

The bet I had was Latics to win by a score of 3-1 which had odds of 16-1. I cashed out when we were leading 3-1 and the game ended 3-2 when Solihull scored a 94th minute penalty…

I definitely got less value by cashing out but if I hadn’t or had gone for Solihull/draw I would have got zip 😮

Over 4.5 goals :chubb:

• Like 1

21 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Cashed mine out many moons ago, personally I think we could just sneak it and wish I'd let it ride, were we about 6/1 top three or was that for promotion?, or was it 7/2 top 3?.

lve got some massive odd for those l'll have a look later..

5 hours ago, Charles or Eddie said:

So much chat about betting on here all the time. Bit of a worry 😟 

Why?  This attitude/insinuation really annoys me. 

I have followed horse racing for over four decades and for me it is about a lot more than having a bet.  I love horses, I love the stories they create, the people around them (not all, they're humans) are some of the most passionate and dedicated people I know.  I've got involved in the sport through ownership and stewarding locally, have made many friends through it and have travelled widely to watch both at home and abroad. I'll get slated here. no doubt, but it's my number one sporting interest, of many, by quite a margin.  But there is still this bizarre puritan attitude that it makes me disreputable and that inevitably I'm a gambler with the clear insinuation that's a problem.  It isn't; I very rarely have a bet of more than £20 and it certainly hasn't affected my lifestyle adversely.  I win some, I lose some but it's a hobby and there were precious few of those that routinely lead to profit; it certainly costs less than my golf club membership but nobody has ever asked me whether that is profitable!  Yes, there are problem gamblers just as there are problem drinkers, drug-takers, smokers etc. but none of those activities is subject to the same scrutiny that having a bet now finds itself subjected to, not even smoking which has had pariah status attached to it for decades.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Pidge said:

My win was on Chaddy the Owl at 40/1 in the mascot race.  Back then he did that run from one penalty to the other to kick a penalty. I remember thinking he was fast and so put a tenner on 😁.

I never bet. But I couldn't resist twenty quid on that one 😁😁

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Yes, there are problem gamblers just as there are problem drinkers, drug-takers, smokers etc. but none of those activities is subject to the same scrutiny that having a bet now finds itself subjected to, not even smoking which has had pariah status attached to it for decades.  

You're entitled to your opinion and all but this is absolute nonsense. If anything there isn't enough done to prevent gambling addiction, you can't watch any sporting event without 3 or 4 adverts for betting sites with live odds being screamed at you every advert break, and it feels like half the clubs in the football league have a betting sponsorship.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

You're entitled to your opinion and all but this is absolute nonsense. If anything there isn't enough done to prevent gambling addiction, you can't watch any sporting event without 3 or 4 adverts for betting sites with live odds being screamed at you every advert break, and it feels like half the clubs in the football league have a betting sponsorship.

I agree with you that when the Blair government opened the floodgates to gambling advertising it was spectacularly badly applied.  I was referring specifically to the current debate (next edition in parliament next month) but already implemented by many bookmaking firms of checking affordability.  Now that is a nonsense.  I could show them an account with plenty f cash in it but they would have no idea that is my tax account and it is due to the revenue.  They could not have the faintest idea about whether I could afford a bet of a tenner or a grand without knowing all my circumstances and they sure as hell ain't being told that!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

This was announced in April last year:

Premier League clubs have collectively agreed to withdraw gambling sponsorship from the front of clubs' matchday shirts.

The change will begin at the start of the 2026/27 season.

Just now, TheBigDog said:

Premier League clubs have collectively agreed to withdraw gambling sponsorship from the front of clubs' matchday shirts.

Great stuff, it's a step in right direction 

I've got nothing against people having a flutter (I do the odd accy myself) but the way it is pushed particularly around televised sporting events makes me really uneasy

• Like 1

I enjoy a bet everyday and lose most times on the horses but have a bit of success on the dogs.

The secret is knowing you don't  usually win, just treat it as a hobby which like any other costs money.

Would agree that there's too much advertising and sponsorship around football nowadays which poses real problems for the vulnerable.

One thing I've never done is chase losses which is a mugs game, just accept it's not your day when you've lost your budget.

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

I bet no one saw that coning

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

Aaarh, you have a woman's shirt!

I'll wager that shirt has never been used as a rowing boat.

I'll wager it's never had 16 shipwrecked mariners tossing in it.

3 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

I have followed horse racing for over four decades and for me it is about a lot more than having a bet.  I love horses, I love the stories they create, the people around them (not all, they're humans) are some of the most passionate and dedicated people I know.  I've got involved in the sport through ownership and stewarding locally, have made many friends through it and have travelled widely to watch both at home and abroad. I'll get slated here. no doubt, but it's my number one sporting interest, of many, by quite a margin.  But there is still this bizarre puritan attitude that it makes me disreputable and that inevitably I'm a gambler with the clear insinuation that's a problem.  It isn't; I very rarely have a bet of more than £20 and it certainly hasn't affected my lifestyle adversely.  I win some, I lose some but it's a hobby and there were precious few of those that routinely lead to profit; it certainly costs less than my golf club membership but nobody has ever asked me whether that is profitable!  Yes, there are problem gamblers just as there are problem drinkers, drug-takers, smokers etc. but none of those activities is subject to the same scrutiny that having a bet now finds itself subjected to, not even smoking which has had pariah status attached to it for decades.  

I agree with just about every word of this but.....

2 hours ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I also agree with this. The amount of advertising for betting sites particularly on Sky Sports and TalkSport really annoys me. I'm lucky - I follow a tipster who names 12 horses to follow every NH and Flat season, and I never bet more than £2.50 E/W whenever one of the 12 races. It's just a bit of fun. When I go racing, I always enjoy the day out and I set myself a budget of a £5 stake per race. If I lose the whole lot (as usually happens!) then that's part of the cost of a fun day out. But some people can't/don't treat it as a bit of fun, get addicted, and the pressure from Sky and TalkSport and the betting companies to have a bet on this, that and the other is out of order. Personally I would ban media advertising of gambling.

7 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

I agree with just about every word of this but.....

I also agree with this. The amount of advertising for betting sites particularly on Sky Sports and TalkSport really annoys me. I'm lucky - I follow a tipster who names 12 horses to follow every NH and Flat season, and I never bet more than £2.50 E/W whenever one of the 12 races. It's just a bit of fun. When I go racing, I always enjoy the day out and I set myself a budget of a £5 stake per race. If I lose the whole lot (as usually happens!) then that's part of the cost of a fun day out. But some people can't/don't treat it as a bit of fun, get addicted, and the pressure from Sky and TalkSport and the betting companies to have a bet on this, that and the other is out of order. Personally I would ban media advertising of gambling.

I wouldn't disagree.  The current gambling act is absolutely bloody ridiculous and may well damage racing irreparably.  It will also almost certainly encourage illegal bookmaking if it goes through in its present form

• Matt unfeatured this topic
7 hours ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Absolute jokeshop the regs. Toney banned for 8 months. Comes back to wear a shirt with Hollywood bet on the front. 

5 hours ago, L1onheartNew said:

Aaarh, you have a woman's shirt!

I'll wager that shirt has never been used as a rowing boat.

I'll wager it's never had 16 shipwrecked mariners tossing in it.

I’ll have a pint of what he’s drinking…😉

8 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Well said, I couldn’t agree more. I’ve been betting for over 40 years and have never bet money I couldn’t afford to lose, and I’ve never got myself into any financial difficulties as a result of betting. I hate the idea of everybody being assumed to be a problem gambler, just because they have a bet.

I will never provide financial information to a bookmaker, either bank statements or proof of earnings. I have never been asked for this information by any bookmaker but would never supply it even if it meant having my account closed.
I only bet on horses and dogs but have many accounts as I like to search around for the best prices, as I bet mainly Ante post on Greyhound competitions. 
Bet Victor actually closed my account, due to my only having three bets with them in two years, all Ante post greyhound bets but they all won, they paid the third bet out and sent me an e-mail the following day saying they had closed my account. This was ridiculous as I’d placed plenty of losing bets with other bookmakers and just coincidentally the winning bets had been with the same bookmaker.

I didn’t lose any sleep over it as their prices were generally poor compared to others, hence I’d only had three bets with them in two years.