MATCH: Hendon (H) 13/01/24

29 minutes ago, kev1970 said:

May have been said on here today but how the hell did Hogan miss that chance in first half surely harder to miss than score.

Could say that loads of times. 

3 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Seen Tarkowski do it many times when here or don't you remember how often he was caught out of position and turned?

Sutton is still young and I maintain he will eventually play a lot higher than us at centre back.

Tarkowski wasn't playing at home against Hendon, to be fair to him... 

Sutton might make it to League 1 or 2 level eventually, but I'd be surprised if he plays consistently any higher than that. 

4 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Seen Tarkowski do it many times when here or don't you remember how often he was caught out of position and turned?

Sutton is still young and I maintain he will eventually play a lot higher than us at centre back.

Right now, 24th in League 2 is a lot higher than us.

His name should have a question mark at the end of it...

Will Sutton judge-the-bounce?

#mood

Edited by L1onheartNew

Someone said we were cursed, I reckon a deal with the devil was made after the inagrual play off defeat by L**ds that enabled the pinch me season(s). Contract was hopefully 30 years from the relegation from the PL  (so its up this year). If a soul is needed to lift it Unsworth said he would do 'anything' for this club and he owes us big time. Oh yes .. the match. We were more shit than Hendon..... I remember back in the day we signed a pacy forward called Wes Wilkinson, I was sold ... he was totally gash.... During the summer we signed King Kurt and I was again sold .... history repeats itself. When Hudson got the nod over Norman I was imitially quite shocked and I admit to being about as wrong as you can be. The games highlight was the Hendon keeper gesturing to the RR end as he was about to take a kick and injuring himself taking it. 

This is what happens when you make so many changes for a game, reminds me of the Everton team we knocked out of the FA Cup although those years ago, players of the quality of Thomas Gravesen came in but they didn't look a team. Incoherent team selection pitted against a committed group playing in the biggest game of their lives has all the ingredients for a cup upset.

I do think Mellon must have known defeat was a potential consequence of so many changes but clearly prioritised the league game against Boreham Wood on Tuesday, as would many fans. I don't think he'll be crying too many tears about easing our fixture list. 

Disappointing from my perspective, the arguments about best opportunity of getting to Wembley for a cup final are well rehearsed. 

1 hour ago, Hemel latic said:

This is what happens when you make so many changes for a game, reminds me of the Everton team we knocked out of the FA Cup although those years ago, players of the quality of Thomas Gravesen came in but they didn't look a team. Incoherent team selection pitted against a committed group playing in the biggest game of their lives has all the ingredients for a cup upset.

I do think Mellon must have known defeat was a potential consequence of so many changes but clearly prioritised the league game against Boreham Wood on Tuesday, as would many fans. I don't think he'll be crying too many tears about easing our fixture list. 

Disappointing from my perspective, the arguments about best opportunity of getting to Wembley for a cup final are well rehearsed. 

He knows he can't trust a lot of those players because they've had minimal to no game time for a reason, it's not like we even played midweek this week so with a doubt over Tuesday nights game (it's likely to be colder than when we last postponed against BW), why wouldn't you go out and send a team out to back up the home win against Hartlepool and keep the run going?.

Add to that he had about five players playing in unfamiliar positions and it's like we didn't want to progress. Most worrying aspect for me was again the lack of desire from the bunch, that for me sits with Mellon, he's allowing that and reinforcing that in them because he accepts it at BP which for me is unacceptable. Out of the group I'd suggest only Walker (not even ours) and maybe Hope and Sutton played with any real urgency, like they cared.

Home form under Mellon;

DDDDLDLWL

Now looking at that something is fundamentally wrong with that group of players, it's piss poor particularly when you look at the current run away from home which is rightly applauded, add to that we are actually awful to watch at home, I'm bored to fucking tears watching them struggle like an U9's boys team, Mellon is constantly having to coach them, senior players coaching players through games - fucking really!!! What's the difference away? We've arguably played better teams away and got results, Rochdale, Woking, Barnet, Solihull and Hartlepool are all tough places to go.

I know we are set for play offs and in the grand scheme of things that should be classed as progress and viewed positively but imagine getting to one of these big games and having to rely on a Norman or a McGahey or a Willoughby, for me as harsh as it sounds some of these players just don't have the right attitude, aptitude or desire to contribute anything, we are worse for having them on the pitch at times.

I really hope we have some players coming in because this bunch as it stands have characters who will 100% let us down and that's a massive shame.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

He knows he can't trust a lot of those players because they've had minimal to no game time for a reason, it's not like we even played midweek this week so with a doubt over Tuesday nights game (it's likely to be colder than when we last postponed against BW), why wouldn't you go out and send a team out to back up the home win against Hartlepool and keep the run going?.

Add to that he had about five players playing in unfamiliar positions and it's like we didn't want to progress. Most worrying aspect for me was again the lack of desire from the bunch, that for me sits with Mellon, he's allowing that and reinforcing that in them because he accepts it at BP which for me is unacceptable. Out of the group I'd suggest only Walker (not even ours) and maybe Hope and Sutton played with any real urgency, like they cared.

Home form under Mellon;

DDDDLDLWL

Now looking at that something is fundamentally wrong with that group of players, it's piss poor particularly when you look at the current run away from home which is rightly applauded, add to that we are actually awful to watch at home, I'm bored to fucking tears watching them struggle like an U9's boys team, Mellon is constantly having to coach them, senior players coaching players through games - fucking really!!! What's the difference away? We've arguably played better teams away and got results, Rochdale, Woking, Barnet, Solihull and Hartlepool are all tough places to go.

I know we are set for play offs and in the grand scheme of things that should be classed as progress and viewed positively but imagine getting to one of these big games and having to rely on a Norman or a McGahey or a Willoughby, for me as harsh as it sounds some of these players just don't have the right attitude, aptitude or desire to contribute anything, we are worse for having them on the pitch at times.

I really hope we have some players coming in because this bunch as it stands have characters who will 100% let us down and that's a massive shame.

Excellent post, difficult to argue with any of that.

3 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

He knows he can't trust a lot of those players because they've had minimal to no game time for a reason,

4 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Most worrying aspect for me was again the lack of desire from the bunch, that for me sits with Mellon, he's allowing that and reinforcing that in them because he accepts it at BP

Contradicting yourself there Yardy, he’s not allowing it- because they hardly play. 

You were right in the first sentence they’re not regulars because he can’t trust them. What does he do- flog the same 8/9 every single game?  He has given them another chance and they’ve done nothing with it. 

I’ve no problem with changes, what I don’t like is making all them changes and playing players out of position and changing the formation. It’s like he thought ‘my normal first 11 is 352 but I want to give this lot a game and I can’t make 352 work, so we’ll have to play 4141. 

That meant unfamiliar players at full back. (Conceded to two goals to part timers)

Magehy playing after being awful at Dorking.

5 foot 9 Kurt playing up top on his own. (No goals from open play) 

You say the only players who looked like they cared was Hope and Walker- maybe that’s because they’re in a familiar position. 

The fringe players didn’t show enough. 

The management didn’t help them with the formation and player positions. 

Collectively not good enough. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, League one forever said:

You were right in the first sentence they’re not regulars because he can’t trust them. What does he do- flog the same 8/9 every single game?  He has given them another chance and they’ve done nothing with it. 

I’ve no problem with changes, what I don’t like is making all them changes and playing players out of position and changing the formation. It’s like he thought ‘my normal first 11 is 352 but I want to give this lot a game and I can’t make 352 work, so we’ll have to play 4141. 

That meant unfamiliar players at full back. (Conceded to two goals to part timers)

Magehy playing after being awful at Dorking.

5 foot 9 Kurt playing up top on his own. (No goals from open play) 

You say the only players who looked like they cared was Hope and Walker- maybe that’s because they’re in a familiar position. 

He should play the same 8 or 9 if thats what it takes to get a result, if we lose Kitching or someone equally as important a loan move should be sanctioned.

If they are showing a lack of desire for being played out of position they are at the wrong football club and they need fucking off. Desire and Pride are minimum requirements for me, some of these genuinely don't give a fuck.

McGahey playing just sends the wrong message I agree, he was probably the least effective and a passenger last week at Dorking but again finds himself selected in front of the likes of Hobson, that was fucking criminal yesterday particularly after what went on over Christmas. 

Yesterday wasn't the game for Mellons big experiment, what was he trying to prove? What most of us already know? Hogan at fullback for instance, painful to watch, he could of gone with Hogan in a three where he is comfortable on the left and played Walker as a wing back but he's changed the system - which was beginning to work to accommodate a loan player who doesn't fit in to the way we set up, that's Unsworthesque in my opinion and naive.

Going back to Walker is he what we need? I'd probably say no unless we are going back to 4-4-2 with maybe Green and Walker as wide men. I'm not being critical of Walker by the way I just don't see where he fits in in the way that we set up. We still don't have an identity or a way that we play and the managers been here for 16 games now, one win at home in nine is a massive issue for me particularly when the manager thinks we are in a position where we can tinker and play about with formations when we are a couple of games away from Wembley. 

2 hours ago, Hemel latic said:

put our chances away he is a tactical genius and he saves you a couple of upset paragraphs. l'm upset too but lets unfold the big picture already 🙄.

I’m in the camp of not really caring about the FA Trophy. Even if we did make it to the final, it’s that weird non-league day set up where they have the Vase final followed by the Trophy final. A number of people in the ground are neutrals and I imagine it’s a very strange atmosphere. It’s certainly not what I have in mind when I think about roaring latics on in a big game at Wembley.

That’s not to say we shouldn’t be looking at winning every game but I’d have done exactly what Mellon did yesterday in terms of giving the squad players a game. If they can’t beat Hendon, they can’t be relied upon in the run-in. Resting the better players in these games lessens the chance of needing to rely on the squad players later on. It is yet another embarrassment at the foot of some our ‘professionals’. 

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, League one forever said:

The fringe players showed exactly why they are fringe players…

The team selection yesterday was poor in my opinion.

Playing Hogan at left back? 

Playing Willoughby as the main striker through the middle?

Playing McGahey after his poor recent showings?

Furthermore…

Not playing Kitching when he is fundamental to our play.

Not playing Hobson when he is far and away our best central defender.

Not starting with Fondop.

Not playing Sheron (!)

The balance of the team was way off and it showed in our performance.

If the game goes ahead on Tuesday, I look forward to a team that is setup properly.

In Mellon we trust… I suppose 🤔

1 minute ago, south east latic said:

I’m in the camp of not really caring about the FA Trophy. Even if we did make it to the final, it’s that weird non-league day set up where they have the Vase final followed by the Trophy final. A number of people in the ground are neutrals and I imagine it’s a very strange atmosphere. It’s certainly not what I have in mind when I think about roaring latics on in a big game at Wembley.

That’s not to say we shouldn’t be looking at winning every game but I’d have done exactly what Mellon did yesterday in terms of giving the squad players a game. If they can’t beat Hendon, they can’t be relied upon in the run-in. Resting the better players in these games lessens the chance of needing to rely on the squad players later on. It is yet another embarrassment at the foot of some our ‘professionals’. 

and none of it shied away from in his post match.

for me l wouldnt have brought them on, it totally defeats the point. they should have been left out completely to avoid yesterdays worst of all worlds scenario.

1 minute ago, Monty Burns said:

and none of it shied away from in his post match.

for me l wouldnt have brought them on, it totally defeats the point. they should have been left out completely to avoid yesterdays worst of all worlds scenario.

The post match wasn't really reflective of the team selection, if he wasn't bothered about the competition then why not pick a team of kids and have done with it?

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

The post match wasn't really reflective of the team selection, if he wasn't bothered about the competition then why not pick a team of kids and have done with it?

well he was bothered about the competition so l'm not sure you have had a proper think here

15 hours ago, BP1960 said:

You  can't blame Sutton having to play right back when he's a better centre back than the rest and will play in a higher division than Oldham in the future.

PS you forgot Raglan who never won anything and played at a snails  pace and Hogan who was placed in exactly the same dilemma as Sutton by the manager.

Doubt if Nornan will play another game either.

Add Tollit, Shelton and Nuttall and we are really in a bad way 

15 hours ago, BradKnowles1 said:

I am really struggling with Sutton. He got absolute sold against Rochdale by Campbell. Norwood had to play right back that game to cover. Balls over the head can’t judge a bounce same as today costing us the first. 

anyone with pace destroys him right back has been a problem for the last 18 months 

Sutton being a good CB is one of the greatest myths ever. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

The fringe players showed exactly why they are fringe players…

The team selection yesterday was poor in my opinion.

Playing Hogan at left back? 

Playing Willoughby as the main striker through the middle?

Playing McGahey after his poor recent showings?

Furthermore…

Not playing Kitching when he is fundamental to our play.

Not playing Hobson when he is far and away our best central defender.

Not starting with Fondop.

Not playing Sheron (!)

The balance of the team was way off and it showed in our performance.

If the game goes ahead on Tuesday, I look forward to a team that is setup properly.

In Mellon we trust… I suppose 🤔

Totally agree BD. 👍🏻

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

"Our focus is absolutely on the league"

"But our absolute focus is on the league"

yeah and??

my focus was on getting my lad ensconced in the cut throat capitalist lifestyle l despise and not burdenning him with my flowery beliefs.

not once did l say anything about nipping here ob the regular to make people look stupid, but lve still managed to spend two decades doing both to the max.

Is this the lowest ranked team we have ever lost to?

Even if we don't care about this Trophy we should still beat any lower opposition at home. Saying the players just expected to roll over them. Why? We didn't roll over Mickleover, or Ebbsfleet or many, many other so-called rubbish teams at home so why would it be in their heads they suddenly will do this?

Considering in years gone by we were always reasonable at home especially on a Tuesday night then I also conclude Boundary Park is cursed!!!!

If the players feel the fans put undue pressure on them then they won't have to worry soon as the attendances are going to drop .

It pains me to see all the really young fans so happy to be at a match to then see the horror on their faces as the match progresses. We are going to lose this new generation and can you blame them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

He should play the same 8 or 9 if thats what it takes to get a result, if we lose Kitching or someone equally as important a loan move should be sanctioned.

You know as well I do that no manager does that in every game. Especially when the league is the absolute priority. We can’t just sanction loans for every injury when he inherited a squad- many of which are deemed surplus to requirements. The 10 nowhere near the squad still need paying. . . 

If they are showing a lack of desire for being played out of position they are at the wrong football club and they need fucking off. Desire and Pride are minimum requirements for me, some of these genuinely don't give a fuck.

Which players?

Are you telling me Hogan doesn’t have pride and desire? He played shit because he’s not a left back not because he doesn’t have pride. 

Is Kurt lacking pride- or is he isolated as a small quick runner running the front line on his own.

Has Sutton lacked pride when he’s been awful at right back- or is it because it’s not his position. 

They are wrong calls by the manager, not players lacking pride in the wrong position. You can’t just say- I know you never do this role but make it work. Which you yourself go on to say with this- 

Yesterday wasn't the game for Mellons big experiment, what was he trying to prove? What most of us already know? Hogan at fullback for instance, painful to watch, he could of gone with Hogan in a three where he is comfortable on the left and played Walker as a wing back but he's changed the system

Totally agree. 

Going back to Walker is he what we need? I'd probably say no unless we are going back to 4-4-2 with maybe Green and Walker as wide men. I'm not being critical of Walker by the way I just don't see where he fits in in the way that we set up

Thought the same myself. 

• Like 1