MATCH: Hendon (H) 13/01/24

2 minutes ago, daniel said:

No, got to disagree. He has clearly said league is the priority and we have a squad who should easily be capable of beating and controlling Hendon from the start. No way should the likes of Norwood be anywhere near playing in games like this, especially when we have a league game on Tuesday. 

Tuesday won't be on which makes the team selection today all the more surprising.

Hope was beyond dreadful today, as was Gardner. Willoughby and Ward had a chance to show there worth today and I'm afraid it doesn't add up to much. Walker gets the benefit of the doubt as its his 1dt game for us but I didn't think he was all that. 

We are too slow in the build up, no movement as such it becomes painfully static, Norwood when he came on showed what we should be doing. 

Wow what a bunch of shithouses we've got on the books, as embarrassed as I've ever been at a football match, outplayed and out fought by the southern equivalent of Ashton United in the pyramid, part time level 7 outfit who get gates of 200, appallingly bad result and performance. 

Now let's get one thing straight first and foremost that's Mellons fault, he's picked a team full of round pegs in square holes, a goal keeper who seemed to have his own vendetta against us who was arguably Hendons best player, Hogan at left back was an embarrassment, McGahey should never play for the club again, Raglan didn't find a blue shirt all afternoon and Sutton has been embarrassed time and time again today.

Midfield absolutely fucking dire Lundstrum is as negative a player I've ever seen, didn't make a forward pass all day, Gardner strolls around like prime Pirlo but creates absolutely nothing and is a liability, Ward and Walker did okay but it's not enough.

Front two were a crock of shit, Willoughby isn't up to it it's as simple as that, lightweight and clueless at times, fuck him off. Hope huffed and puffed but ultimately did fuck all.

Subs gave us a lift but we deserved nothing, penalty was soft and it would of been harsh on them, when we came out second half I feared the worst because a couple of them should of been pulled at half time, wrong message sending the same shit houses out, why Fondop wasn't involved at all against those cloggers is a mystery, it's not like he's played week in week out recently.

If we weren't taking this cup seriously then fair enough but given the other results today that's performance is a right kick in the bollocks for the fans, almost inexcusable. 

FUCK OFF

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Let them steal a living you mean? Plus Shelton and  Nuttall can't even get in this worst squad of all time!!

😂😂

Where to start. . 

So. . after losing 3 in 13 in the league, and winning 5 away games on the bounce;  the following are now ‘stealing a living’ 

Hogan

Raglan

Sutton

Hope 

Lundy

Or maybe he changed half the team and the formation - to give players a chance to impress and to many just didn’t turn up on the day. 

You think this squad is the worst in all time? Do you remember having a lad from Georgie shore up front- we now have Norwood. Bit of a difference. 

You want Shelton and Nuttall gone- so do you think Frank should just find 500k to pay them up. . ? Why don’t we add Kurt, Norman, Ward, Tollit, and whoever else while we are it. Then he only has to find about million to pay everybody up. Then start again and spend another million in wages in recruiting the 6/7/8 he’s just released mid season. 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, daniel said:

No one can say Willoughby hasn’t had a chance now. Absolute disaster for him today, he was appallingly bad. 

What a massive disappointment Lundstram is turning out to be also, something doesn’t quite seem right with him. 

Lundstram seems to take so long to process what he's seeing and react that by the time he's seen a pass, the player isn't open anymore

And he ends up with nowhere to go but backwards

Like I remember the one at Rochdale where he was 2 on 1 with Norwood vs a defender and just held the ball until he lost it

1 minute ago, St92 said:

Lundstram seems to take so long to process what he's seeing and react that by the time he's seen a pass, the player isn't open anymore

And he ends up with nowhere to go but backwards

Like I remember the one at Rochdale where he was 2 on 1 with Norwood vs a defender and just held the ball until he lost it

Don't forget his cute little turn he does to turn back to his own goal and play another negative pass, are they having positive play coached out of them?.

Yet again it's left to another loan player Walker to inject some drive in to the forward line, at least he was trying to be positive.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Now let's get one thing straight first and foremost that's Mellons fault, he's picked a team full of round pegs in square holes, a goal keeper who seemed to have his own vendetta against us who was arguably Hendons best player, Hogan at left back was an embarrassment, McGahey should never play for the club again,

I’ve defended 5PM - but I have to agree with this. He did the same against Mickleover and played Hogan at right back. . then add in changing the formation, players out of position- and it’s hardly surprising really. He wouldn’t do it in the league so god knows why he does it in the cup. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

You can understand angry reactions immediately after a game. No excuses, there were nearly 3k there apparently and they deserved so much better. 
I think that performance will have confirmed the future of a fair few of those players!

Of course. 

But made up Hyperbole about getting rid of the half squad is just silly. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Of course. 

The getting rid of players thing isn't even a post game reaction though

Loads of people say it all the time

There's absolutely zero point in paying off contracts. Just means we're paying the same amount but taking an up front hit

If we think they're not good enough but can't get rid we might as well make use of them on community visits etc rather than paying them for nothing

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I’ve defended 5PM - but I have to agree with this. He did the same against Mickleover and played Hogan at right back. . then add in changing the formation, players out of position- and it’s hardly surprising really. He wouldn’t do it in the league so god knows why he does it in the cup. 

Sorry but when we don’t have a single RB at the club, and only 1 LB thanks to the awful recruitment from the summer, I don’t see an issue with playing a player out of position in the cup at home to Mickelover and Hendon ffs. Hogan is club captain, and is an experienced pro who should easily be able to compete in those positions against part timers from 3 leagues below. I know your only using Hogan as an example here and not saying he’s the reason we lost but that 11 today in that formation should be beating Hendon comfortably. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

Of course. 

I don't think anyone making those comments actually expects it to happen, it's just a knee-jerk reaction to an embarrassing defeat. Chesterfield sent out 11 non-first-team players against Welling. Mellon gave fringe players a chance and they wasted it.

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Of course. 

To be fair….if it was remotely possible I think probably more than half would be gone!!

Very poor team selection from Mellon. Most will agree as soon as they saw the team sheet.

Norman spilled the ball for Hendons tap in winner, and poor otherwise.

Sutton tried, but exposed.

Raglan dwelt on the ball when urgency required.

McGahey slow, and woeful distribution.

Hogan fish out water, anonymous.

Gardner tried, but faded badly when shoved on the right wing.

Lundstram time stood still when on the ball, something looks physically wrong with him.

Ward frequently caught in possession.

Willoughby lightweight, no impact whatsoever.

Hope lightweight, ran around getting nowhere.

Walker, decent and best of a bad bunch.

Subs

Kitching never got forward.

Conlon, neat distribution, why after told by MM he's been pinging goals in training did he play in front of the back 4?

Norwood scored a penalty and that's it.

MM and Brabin booed off by the crowd.

Edited by BP1960

All teams have hiccups here and there, even the best. But we aren’t the best, we aren’t even good. We’ve won a few lately hence our reasonable position at present but I can’t help but feel with these that another bad run is around the corner. 
Glass half empty tonight …

5 minutes ago, daniel said:

Sorry but when we don’t have a single RB at the club, and only 1 LB thanks to the awful recruitment from the summer, I don’t see an issue with playing a player out of position in the cup at home to Mickelover and Hendon ffs. Hogan is club captain, and is an experienced pro who should easily be able to compete in those positions against part timers from 3 leagues below. I know your only using Hogan as an example here and not saying he’s the reason we lost but that 11 today in that formation should be beating Hendon comfortably. 

We had several who wouldn't get in Hendons team, that's how good ours are.

Yet again part timers were far sharper than us.

Walker and Conlon will be OK though so let's hope more come in of that calibre.

This season was always going to be a mess after the scouser and his mates wrecked any chance of smooth progression.

We have a bloated squad of weak minded, very average, non league players, almost none of whom are up for a battle or seem to have any desire to progress in their careers…they look as though Oldham Athletic was their career target and now they are coasting.

The NL is so poor that even with such an awful squad we can still put out an eleven that might scrape into the playoffs. 

If by some minor miracle we get promoted (we won’t, Bromley or Southend will batter us) then how many of these wage stealers would you keep in L2….maybe 3 or 4 from the entire squad?

31 minutes ago, League one forever said:

😂😂

Where to start. . 

So. . after losing 3 in 13 in the league, and winning 5 away games on the bounce;  the following are now ‘stealing a living’ 

Hogan

Raglan

Sutton

Hope 

Lundy

Or maybe he changed half the team and the formation - to give players a chance to impress and to many just didn’t turn up on the day. 

You think this squad is the worst in all time? Do you remember having a lad from Georgie shore up front- we now have Norwood. Bit of a difference. 

You want Shelton and Nuttall gone- so do you think Frank should just find 500k to pay them up. . ? Why don’t we add Kurt, Norman, Ward, Tollit, and whoever else while we are it. Then he only has to find about million to pay everybody up. Then start again and spend another million in wages in recruiting the 6/7/8 he’s just released mid season. 🤦🏻‍♂️

It will cost Frank even more next season to get out of this division.

If we can't get rid loan them out to 9th tier clubs, I don't want them to see them play for Latics ever again.

Going to take my cue from Mellon on this one… I couldn’t give a shiny shit about that game today.

Once he picks that team it’s clear the only focus is the league. I’ll trust him on this as he’s the promotion expert. 

We already knew the squad players weren’t up to it. We already knew he’s bringing in more 1st teamers. So as far as I’m concerned nothing has changed when it comes to our promotion prospects 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, daniel said:

Sorry but when we don’t have a single RB at the club, and only 1 LB thanks to the awful recruitment from the summer, I don’t see an issue with playing a player out of position in the cup at home to Mickelover and Hendon ffs. Hogan is club captain, and is an experienced pro who should easily be able to compete in those positions against part timers from 3 leagues below. I know you’re eaonly using Hogan as an example here and not saying he’s the reason we lost but that 11 today in that formation should be beating Hendon comfortably. 

Yeah, I take your point. 

But betters players still need familiar position. You wouldn’t see Maguire at left back for United just because they’re playing Yeovil. 

He plays Maghey again, who was dire last week. He needlessly changes formation (he said the other week 352 is the best use of the squad he has available) so why change it. Just think there was a lot of odd decisions, that at the very least contributed to a poor result. 

53 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I’m angry about today so in the heat of moment - I’m going to say things that don’t make sense or will never happen. 

Sack them all. 

Dig deep Frank - this lot need to go. 

We need to release half this squad. 

Christ- yes it’s an awful result. . which no one will care about next week. Take it on the chin and move on. 

I'll just go with one home win in four months. Optimism for Tuesday is limited.