MATCH: Woking (H) 27/01/24

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Can someone please tell me why we revert to five at the back at home and what Harrison McGahey brings to the party please, that's three games now since he came back in the team where you couldn't give him more than 3/10, it's almost like we are rewarding failure.

Sitting in and defending at home is just baffling as was lumping it upfield almost aimlessly. We need someone running the channels and I dont mean Norwood, Stones used to create, run the channels, put defenders on the back foot but you're not going to get that off Fondop, he's a target man and battering ram, we need pace at home and willing runners, give the opposition something to worry about.

It's time to at least try something new at home, we have Walker, Reid, Dallas, Green maybe even Hope who can offer an attacking threat, willing runners some of who can play off the last man and turn these defences, play one either side of Norwood or even drop Fondop in favour of another midfielder and control the centre of the park, get Conlon on the football, he should be in that centre circle directing operations not scrambling around in the box with seven other defensive minded players.

Hobson and Raglan played well as a two yesterday and I don't see why they can't be the partnership going forward, let's start giving these teams something to worry about at home, I'm sick to death of teams dominating possession, that's team significantly weaker than ours as well, we can't just keep setting up and playing in the same dumb way at home that to me is a reflection of the manager and it's not good enough.

Another thing that annoys me is everyone saying we were on a 4 game unbeaten run, what a load of bollocks, only two games ago we were embarrassed by fucking Hendon at home and were beat fair and square 2-1, playing much the same way with the same formation, everyone's getting a bit Lee Clark about our unbeaten runs.

Edited by BP1960

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Can someone please tell me why we revert to five at the back at home and what Harrison McGahey brings to the party please, that's three games now since he came back in the team where you couldn't give him more than 3/10, it's almost like we are rewarding failure.

Sitting in and defending at home is just baffling as was lumping it upfield almost aimlessly. We need someone running the channels and I dont mean Norwood, Stones used to create, run the channels, put defenders on the back foot but you're not going to get that off Fondop, he's a target man and battering ram, we need pace at home and willing runners, give the opposition something to worry about.

It's time to at least try something new at home, we have Walker, Reid, Dallas, Green maybe even Hope who can offer an attacking threat, willing runners some of who can play off the last man and turn these defences, play one either side of Norwood or even drop Fondop in favour of another midfielder and control the centre of the park, get Conlon on the football, he should be in that centre circle directing operations not scrambling around in the box with seven other defensive minded players.

Hobson and Raglan played well as a two yesterday and I don't see why they can't be the partnership going forward, let's start giving these teams something to worry about at home, I'm sick to death of teams dominating possession, that's team significantly weaker than ours as well, we can't just keep setting up and playing in the same dumb way at home that to me is a reflection of the manager and it's not good enough.

Another thing that annoys me is everyone saying we were on a 4 game unbeaten run, what a load of bollocks, only two games ago we were embarrassed by fucking Hendon at home and were beat fair and square 2-1, playing much the same way with the same formation, everyone's getting a bit Lee Clark about our unbeaten runs.

I feel this comes from the manager and his assistant who want to keep it tight for the first 20 minutes, but then can't adapt as the game goes on.

It may work away, but not at home.

He's got results, but we will lose fans at home matches as they aren't going to put up with his defensive mind set much longer and the board must be aware of that.

Yet again another negative manager when fans were crying out for exciting football.

He's been booed at half and full time more than any manager I've known in over 50 years, and that includes Unsworth, doesn't that tell you something.

He needs to change or it will be more of the same.

Edited by BP1960

17 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Kitching had a bad game and we all know we rely on him. 

Let himself be pinned back, which should never happen as a wing back. He needs telling that's not good enough.

The young right back was the same, he looks frightened of going forward.

2 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

No he hasn't. 

Honestly, this place after a defeat is incredible. I know it wasn't great but Jesus

We desperately need a promotion. Just to show there are other ways of going up other than 442 with yarddogs from the 90s or 217 formations from the 60s on a diet of lard sandwiches and woodbines. 

• Like 1

Just now, Guy Branston Pickle said:

No he hasn't. 

Honestly, this place after a defeat is incredible. I know it wasn't great but Jesus

I've been to over 1,000 games and I know what I've seen.

He's the most most negative  manager at home matches in my long memory, and that includes Unsworth.

BTW when you reply at least be constructive and civil.

1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

We desperately need a promotion. Just to show there are other ways of going up other than 442 with yarddogs from the 90s or 217 formations from the 60s on a diet of lard sandwiches and woodbines. 

Promotion with the same negative dross next season, I'd sooner see good football at any level.

Just now, BP1960 said:

He's the most most negative  manager at home matches in my long memory, and that includes Unsworth.

It's really really hard to be constructive when what you're posting is just objectively nonsense. 

Can't wait to log on here when we comfortably beat Ebbsfleet and see tumbleweeds 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I feel this comes from the manager and his assistant who want to keep it tight for the first 20 minutes, but then can't adapt as the game goes on.

It may work away, but not at home.

He's got results, but we will lose fans at home matches as they aren't going to put up with his defensive mind set much longer and the board must be aware of that.

Yet again another negative manager when fans were crying out for exciting football.

He's been booed at half and full time more than any manager I've known in over 50 years, and that includes Unsworth, doesn't that tell you something.

He needs to change or it will be more of the same.

4 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

2 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Promotion with the same negative dross next season, I'd sooner see good football at any level.

All bow down to your superior knowledge because of how many games you've seen. Being old doesn't make you right. I'm under 40 and I've probably watched over 1,000 games. So what?

Just now, Guy Branston Pickle said:

It's really really hard to be constructive when what you're posting is just objectively nonsense. 

Can't wait to log on here when we comfortably beat Ebbsfleet and see tumbleweeds 

I've been in the game for over 40 years so I think I know how good football should be played . If you are content with the boring home performances then so be it. Gates will fall for sure unless the manager provided some entertainment.

2 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

30 odd years without a promotion. We recently went 15 years without a top half finish. We've got a manager in giving us a great chance of at least a playoff place and people still aren't happy because we aren't playing like we did four decades ago. We don't deserve promotion do we

Not with this defensive minded drivel.

Joe Royle must be spitting feathers watching us.

His style was light years away from what he sees from the North stand.

His teams played with the belief, that they would score more than the opposition. 

He would have dragged  kitching off after 15 minutes, played 3 at the back, flooded midfield with blokes who could look after the ball, and pick a pass that would actually reach one of our own forwards. Who would be facing their goal, not ours.

It's totally frustrating watching Latics at the minute, and has been for this manager, and the last one.

And yes, I appreciate that double M has got a plan, but surely, it doesn't include boring us to death, and frustrating the life out of us.

Just now, BP1960 said:

I've been in the game for over 40 years so I think I know how good football should be played . If you are content with the boring home performances then so be it. Gates will fall for sure unless the manager provided some entertainment.

I've been going for 27 years and have seen us finish top 6 twice. Frankly I don't care how we get there. This snobby insistence that we play football a certain way will keep us medicore forever

1 minute ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

30 odd years without a promotion. We recently went 15 years without a top half finish. We've got a manager in giving us a great chance of at least a playoff place and people still aren't happy because we aren't playing like we did four decades ago. We don't deserve promotion do we

This is the first season I’ve properly enjoyed in years. It’s why I’m not that down about yesterday. It’s just not realistic to play well and win every game. I’m loving checking other scores because we’re in the play offs and not because we’re at the bottom. I’m already looking forward to next Saturday.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

That's a massively sweeping statement and you have definitely blocked out large chunks of previous seasons. Dave Penney must spring to mind?

I think you have posted that to get a reaction, which is fine, it keeps the debate going, but if you genuinely believe that then wow words fail me!!! 

All I can say constructively is that you need to find something else to do on a Saturday as it depresses you way way too much. 

4 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

This is the first season I’ve properly enjoyed in years. It’s why I’m not that down about yesterday. It’s just not realistic to play well and win every game. I’m loving checking other scores because we’re in the play offs and not because we’re at the bottom. I’m already looking forward to next Saturday.

Same. There'll be people supporting is in their 20s who've never even seen us finish top half. Yeah the football isn't always great, but it's just nice to be up there with a very good chance of making the playoffs. I'd expect this entitled view that we *must* play a certain brand of football from clubs used to success. Not from a club that's done *nothing* for 35 years

Edited by Guy Branston Pickle
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Gates will fall for sure unless the manager provided some entertainment.

Total myth, with all respect.

Gates are hinged on us winning, or to put it another way, success. If we played the most eye-catching football in our division, yet languished in mid table, the gates would be down. The floating fans want to see us at the top of the division, and they'd take industrial football if that's what it gave us. They want to see wins, period, and the success it brings.

Gates went up when Frank took over because it offered a new chance of success. The style of football we were going to play was never the reason.

FWIW I believe good football will come when we get the fucking basics right. Not before.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly
typo
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Absolutely spot on nzlatic.

I go the match with all my friends and family again and let's face it we are used to the fact the match can and is usually rubbish.

Life is tough, watching Latics is tough, just try and get as much as you can from it. That is not accepting rubbish, it was rubbish, but people have got to stop making crazy negative statements.

15 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I know what you mean.  After bad games, there tends to be a reaction.  Shame we don't have a game midweek..

18 minutes ago, 100milesaway said:

Joe Royle must be spitting feathers watching us.

His style was light years away from what he sees from the North stand.

His teams played with the belief, that they would score more than the opposition. 

He would have dragged  kitching off after 15 minutes, played 3 at the back, flooded midfield with blokes who could look after the ball, and pick a pass that would actually reach one of our own forwards. Who would be facing their goal, not ours.

Meh, he was at Goodison yesterday, so was probably please to have missed it!

4 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Total myth, with all respect.

Gates are hinged on us winning, or to put it another way, success. If we played the most eye-catching football in our division, yet languished in mid table, the gates would be down. The floating fans want to see us at the top of the division, and they'd take industrial football if that's what it gave us. They want to see wins, period, and the success it brings.

Gates went up when Frank took over because it offered a new chance of success. The style of football we were going to play was never the reason.

FWIW I believe good football will come when we get the fucking basics right. Not before.

But should professional footballers not have the basics of passing the ball to someone in a blue shirt as a given. And why do our midfield players spend all afternoon looking up at the sky, whilst our defenders launch balls over the top of them, to our front men, and completely bypass them ?.