MATCH: Woking (H) 27/01/24

Yesterday was my first visit to BP in many years , having seen every home game between 1982 and 1992 and many games afterward, a first look at non league Oldham was interesting....to say the least. I do not understand why with the terrific crowds at home , the manager does not set  up a very attacking formation from the start. It was 85 minutes before you could hear the roar of the crowd , as up to that point ,there had been little to stir the fans. The first half was terrible , I exempt Norwood  and Fondop as they never saw the ball , the 8 outfield players behind them were shocking. Lundstram , Sheron and Conlon , what can you say , these 3 playing in front of a banner with 'yard dogs  on it  , the irony of it.  I thought Hammond brought some hard work to the team and he and the full back made some ground late on down the flank.  I do hope Mr Mellon can sort this inconsistency out . We have fans over the age of 40 who have never seen a promotion. I do hope for them , the wait wont be much longer.

43 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

Absolutely spot on nzlatic.

I go the match with all my friends and family again and let's face it we are used to the fact the match can and is usually rubbish.

Life is tough, watching Latics is tough, just try and get as much as you can from it. That is not accepting rubbish, it was rubbish, but people have got to stop making crazy negative statements.

Negative statements yes, Crazy no!!

If we play OK but lose then I’m fine with that, however, yesterday we were absolutely woeful. I think our 1st shot on target was a Norwood header in the 2nd half.

We were 5th top they were 4th bottom yet they were far superior all over the pitch. 352 is an excellent formation executed correctly but our ‘wing backs’ never got past their full backs once producing zero attacking threat! 

We are so ponderous in possession, and our passing and movement continues to be nonexistent.

Football for me isn’t just about winning. I’ve been around a fair while so maybe it’s an age thing…..Of course, I’d rather us be challenging at the top obviously but a few on here would be happy to be playing like we did yesterday as long as there was 3 points at the end of it….I absolutely wouldn’t!

MM has improved our league position no doubt but the football is still a hard watch.

I’m really hoping that once the new players are up to speed and in from the start it will improve dramatically.

1 hour ago, 100milesaway said:

Joe Royle must be spitting feathers watching us.

His style was light years away from what he sees from the North stand.

His teams played with the belief, that they would score more than the opposition. 

He would have dragged  kitching off after 15 minutes, played 3 at the back, flooded midfield with blokes who could look after the ball, and pick a pass that would actually reach one of our own forwards. Who would be facing their goal, not ours.

It's totally frustrating watching Latics at the minute, and has been for this manager, and the last one.

And yes, I appreciate that double M has got a plan, but surely, it doesn't include boring us to death, and frustrating the life out of us.

We played that way under Kewell. Finished nowhere in league 2

6 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

What is your overall position ? You seem to just think everything’s fine and everyone is over reacting ?

We are unbelievably inconsistent (consistently inconsistent). So how / why are you down playing everything? 

12 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

I never mentioned Kewell. 

Under Joe Royle, we had the best spell that we have ever had, and for the most part were  terrific to watch. 

8 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

What is your overall position ? You seem to just think everything’s fine and everyone is over reacting ?

We are unbelievably inconsistent (consistently inconsistent). So how / why are you down playing everything? 

Are we unbelievably inconsistent? Won 4 out of 5 in the league. 3rd in the form table since Mellon came in. I'd say that's pretty consistent?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Are we unbelievably inconsistent? Won 4 out of 5 in the league. 3rd in the form table since Mellon came in. I'd say that's pretty consistent?

Before going to the game yesterday I said we would lose 1-0, so did many other fans I assume. Until that feeling has gone, I think it’s safe to say we are inconsistent. 

As I said yesterday, no need to panic and I trust MM to sort! 

4 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Before going to the game yesterday I said we would lose 1-0, so did many other fans I assume. Until that feeling has gone, I think it’s safe to say we are inconsistent. 

As I said yesterday, no need to panic and I trust MM to sort! 

Performances are inconsistent, that's for certain. Results wise though we're one of the most consistent teams in the league at the moment. I fully expect us to bounce back next Saturday 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

He always has done.

12 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

All true, but we have been consistently bloody awful at home All season.

Just now, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Not good enough. We MUST win every game and do it like a 60’s/70’s Brazil side

I can understand frustrations after yesterday, but by any metric this is our most successful season so far in about 16 years. With the hyperbole on here after any defeat you'd think we were on the brink of relegation

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I can understand frustrations after yesterday, but by any metric this is our most successful season so far in about 16 years. With the hyperbole on here after any defeat you'd think we were on the brink of relegation

I completely agree with you and we have really improved these last 12 months.

I just want us to kick on to the next level. In order to be competing for the title, we need to be able to win against teams in the bottom 4. 

Just now, LightDN123 said:

I completely agree with you and we have really improved these last 12 months.

I just want us to kick on to the next level. In order to be competing for the title, we need to be able to win against teams in the bottom 4. 

Totally agree. I was frustrated as anyone yesterday, I can't understand this blind spot they have against teams lower down the table. But I'm also not reactionary and can see the improvements that have been made in the 3 months MM has been here. I really can't understand some of the OTT reactions I've seen, it beggars belief.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Seems to be far worse these last few weeks. 

BP seems to be getting it every post. 

I say it as I see it, and that performance has been a regular theme at home yet some think it acceptable. 

If the managers changes his negative mindset I'll be happy to congratulate him.

He has the chance now to start all his new signings  including Walker, Dallas and Hammond so hope he does as they look promising in an attacking format.

Edited by BP1960

1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:

a few on here would be happy to be playing like we did yesterday as long as there was 3 points at the end of it….I absolutely wouldn’t!

If we play OK but lose then I’m fine with that,

😂😂😂

By your own admission you don’t like just winning, so I highly doubt you’d be ok with playing well and losing. . . 

Oldham Athletic  - the least successful club of the last 30 years, with four relegations in that time. 

For the first time in all those years we are going forwards instead of backwards. 

And yet. . 

Yeah, yeah . . I know all the about form and being in the playoffs, but it’s still bloody awful. 

Comedy gold. 

Some massive overreactions on here. Yes the game was poor but let’s not lose sight of where we are in the league. We are now the big fish in this league so every game for us is a cup final for the opposition as everyone steps their game up to play us. When you still have a large amount of the squad part of the original weak mentality under Unsworth it’s hardly surprising we haven’t changed. A few players isn’t going to change that. 

I’ve seen comment about his style of play from @BP1960 and @deyres42 but let’s be realistic the style of play is irrelevant, win games we get promoted. Kewell played attacking / entertaining football but we ended up 17th. Results are all that matters. Continue on the run of form we’ve been on and we end up right in the play offs. 

Mickys been there more than enough times (more than we’ve had over and over for 30 years) to know what’s needed to get us out of this league, so back him! Not every game is going to be a win. Thats the nature of the league and squad he’s inherited. Give him the backing without the jibes and let’s have a run of a few seasons with a successful, proven manager. 

Edited by adamoafc
  • Like 5

Negative statements yes, Crazy no!!

If we play OK but lose then I’m fine with that, however, yesterday we were absolutely woeful. I think our 1st shot on target was a Norwood header in the 2nd half.

We were 5th top they were 4th bottom yet they were far superior all over the pitch. 352 is an excellent formation executed correctly but our ‘wing backs’ never got past their full backs once producing zero attacking threat! 

We are so ponderous in possession, and our passing and movement continues to be nonexistent.

Football for me isn’t just about winning. I’ve been around a fair while so maybe it’s an age thing…..Of course, I’d rather us be challenging at the top obviously but a few on here would be happy to be playing like we did yesterday as long as there was 3 points at the end of it….I absolutely wouldn’t!

MM has improved our league position no doubt but the football is still a hard watch.

I’m really hoping that once the new players are up to speed and in from the start it will improve dramatically.

I said crazy more in response to BP1960 saying it's the most negative he has ever seen.

I agree with every point you have made , it's just the over the top posts that I feel are totally wrong. We have a lot of work to do with the side but we have got to try and stick with it and try and eek out anything that makes your day bearable if not enjoyable.

Beer helps. It is definitely getting better overall but as we are all saying we have got to somehow manage to perform against these lower teams. It's a problem not a worry.

1 minute ago, adamoafc said:

Some massive overreactions on here. Yes the game was poor but let’s not lose sight of where we are in the league. We are now the big fish in this league so every game for us is a cup final for the opposition as everyone steps their game up to play us. When you still have a large amount of the squad part of the original weak mentality under Unsworth it’s hardly surprising we haven’t changed. A few players isn’t going to change that. 

I’ve seen comment about his style of play from @BP1960 and @deyres42 but let’s be realistic the style of play is irrelevant, win games we get promoted. Kewell played attacking / entertaining football but we ended up 17th. Results are all that matters. Continue on the run of form we’ve been on and we end up right in the play offs. 

Mickys been there more than enough times (more than we’ve had over and over for 30 years) to know what’s needed to get us out of this league, so back him! Not every game is going to be a win. Thats the nature of the league and squad he’s inherited. Give him the backing without the jibes and let’s have a run of a few seasons with a successful, proven manager. 

I know he’s got 5 promotions, and he’s taken us from bottom 4 to fifth. I know the Rothwells are backing us to the hilt, and I know our overall form is very good. I know we are at our lowest level in our history, and I know we’ve had 4 relegations in 30 years. 

But I’m not comfortable with ‘just winning’ I’d much prefer to lose and be entertained. 🤦🏻‍♂️😂😂

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I know he’s got 5 promotions, and he’s taken us from bottom 4 to fifth. I know the Rothwells are backing us to the hilt, and I know our overall form is very good. I know we are at our lowest level in our history, and I know we’ve had 4 relegations in 30 years. 

But I’m not comfortable with ‘just winning’ I’d much prefer to lose and be entertained. 🤦🏻‍♂️😂😂

Once you win ugly often enough then the confidence will build and the entertainment will come, honest!!

We are not there yet, we will be.